Wigan Transport Companies

One of my Mercedes Benz 1820 boxvans, parked in the depot at Cricket Street, Wigan,
parked up for the weekend. Also the Nissan pick-up truck of James Wilkinson & Son.

Ray Smyth.

Reed 612 YKT.jpgAerial view of Reed Corrugated Cases, and Reed Transport on the A49 at Wigan,
Junction 25 M6, is about 500 yards/metres to the right of this picture.

Reed Paper Group Atkinson 612 YKT loaded with newsprint reels. Ray Smyth.

From a payload, or tyre wear perspective, I would imagine those four-in-line trailers were no doubt a brilliant innovation, and I’m prepared to admit that they were fine with a headboard height load. I’ve dragged quite a few of them around over the years. Back in the 70s, Heaton’s Transport from St Helens had a shedload of them. They were used mainly to shuttle double deck loads of glass bottles from Rockware Glass at St. Helens up to Garston Bottle. One wagon was expected to do six loads on a night shift, ( the loads had been pre-sheeted incidentally, they just required roping ), and on an adverse camber with a double deck load, the ■■■■ things were an absolute bloody nightmare. They had one or two go over I seem to recall, ( none of them piloted by myself incidentally ). It was around about a 30 minute run or thereabouts from Merton Bank road up to Garston, but by the time you arrived at Window lane, your sphincter was in ■■■■■■■ meltdown, believe me…Oh!, and another thing, don’t get a flat on one of the inside tyres, what a ■■■■■■■ ball ache that can be ,…I do not lie…4 in line trailers RIP, thank ■■■■, that’s all I can say.

Hill Bros were at the Martland Mill area for many years, their depot is now at Dobson Park, off Manchester Road, Ince, (A577).

This picture is from about 1960. Dave Brookwell is stood beside the Ford Thames Trader.
I first remember Dave when he worked for Hailwood Bros at Roby Mill in the 1960s, Dave did a short spell in the
1970s at Robert Baillie, Wigan Depot. He went on to work for Wm. Gaskell of Upholland, where he became Transport
Manager. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
01Aerial view of Reed Corrugated Cases, and Reed Transport on the A49 at Wigan,
Junction 25 M6, is about 500 yards/metres to the right of this picture.

Reed Paper Group Atkinson 612 YKT loaded with newsprint reels. Ray Smyth.

Blimey that place has not changed at all over the years. I used to collect loads a few years ago when it was sca the office was half way along the main building on the right next to the tightest bays i’ve ever had to back into.All the loading seems to take all place at the opposite end of the building now.The only change i can see now is how close the housing is to the road round the top of the building.

Another Hill Bros. Scania for you Ray.
Oily

Wigan Richard 26714956847_e8c297ab62_rs k.jpg

oiltreader:
Another Hill Bros. Scania for you Ray.
Oily

Cracking stuff there Oily, Keep them them rolling, Regards Larry.

Reed Corrugated Cases Ford D Series artic, fleet No. 983, Reg No. JKJ 118N was
one of many based at Reeds, Wigan. The “Ropework” on the flysheet leaves a lot
to be desired, I hope Dennis doesn’t see this picture. It wasnae me who sheeted it.
There are tidy ways of losing excess sheet tie length.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Roby`s Transport of Enfield Street, Pemberton, Wigan. The Atkinson is at the top of Standishgate,
about to enter Market Place, with what looks like a carnival, or a students “Rag Day”.
Walt Roby, the owner, was one of the old school, flat cap and boiler suit. Picture from Eddie Heaton.

D. Sharp of Barnsley had an operation in Wigan during the 1970s. They were based
in the Railway Goods Yard at Chapel Lane in the town centre, alongside Connals of
Maryhill, Glasgow, and the warehouse of Robert Baillie of Portsmouth.
This D.Sharp Atkinson has tumbled on to the fuel pumps at New Island café and
filling station at Lowton, on the A580 East Lancashire Road. Ray Smyth.

D Sharp.jpg

Sentinel steamer of William Brown & Nephews of Wigan in the 1930s.
I believe the gentleman on the right is Francis Roby, perhaps he is
related to Walt Roby, whose Atkinson picture was posted recently
on page 3 of this thread. Ray Smyth.

Wilcocks Bakery van, from Hindley, near Wigan. I don’t know what make it is,
perhaps it is a Fiat or a Citroen, It looks a bit foreign to me. Somebody with
better knowledge than me will be able to identify the manufacturer. Ray Smyth.

Wigan Corporation Leyland Daf dustbin lorry. Bodywork by Norba. Ray Smyth.

Aerial photo of the M6 Motorway, 3 miles to the west of Wigan. Just 2 miles to the left (North) of the
picture is Junction 27 for Standish, 1 and a quarter miles to the right (South) is Junction 26, and the
link with the M58 to Liverpool. The railway line at bottom left goes to Southport, and in the opposite
direction, goes to Wigan, Bolton, Manchester, and beyond. The waterway is the Leeds & Liverpool
Canal. This section of the M6 is known as Gathurst Viaduct. I live just 1 mile from here. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Aerial photo of the M6 Motorway, 3 miles to the west of Wigan. Just 2 miles to the left (North) of the
picture is Junction 27 for Standish, 1 and a quarter miles to the right (South) is Junction 26, and the
link with the M58 to Liverpool. The railway line at bottom left goes to Southport, and in the opposite
direction, goes to Wigan, Bolton, Manchester, and beyond. The waterway is the Leeds & Liverpool
Canal. I live 1 mile from this location. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Great photo Ray. The perfect shot from the air. I can never resist looking upwards as I go over this bridge - if there is a plane going over you’ve got the lot!

John.

Just a little footnote to the picture of Gathurst: The little waterway to the right of the canal is the River Douglas, which at one time was navigable. Below the lock on the right is a little elbow, which is the last remains of a lock which linked the canal and the river. The Douglas is nowt more than a stream now above the tidal stretch below Rufford, so it’s difficult to believe load-carrying craft could get out to the Ribble and the sea.

E.Siddell ERF 8 Wheeler from the Orrell district of Wigan. Junction 26, M6 passes right
through the middle of Orrell. Ray Smyth.

E.Siddell ERF.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Reed Corrugated Cases had many Ford D Series artics at their Wigan factory,
approx 500 yards/metres from Junction 25 of the M6 Motorway. Not my picture.

Ray Smyth

This was a New Hythe vehicle.
Even though they were all on the same site the Green Reed vehicles were classed as Aylesford the blue vehicles who done the RCC and Key Terrain were classed as New Hythe depot.
The vehicle pictured definitely New Hythe as it’s my Brother in Law Terry Martin behind the wheel he later became Traffi Manager for New Hythe depot.

marky:
Just a little footnote to the picture of Gathurst: The little waterway to the right of the canal is the River Douglas, which at one time was navigable. Below the lock on the right is a little elbow, which is the last remains of a lock which linked the canal and the river. The Douglas is nowt more than a stream now above the tidal stretch below Rufford, so it’s difficult to believe load-carrying craft could get out to the Ribble and the sea.

Interesting snippet, Mark, thank you