Wigan Transport Companies

Pennington Haulage is a long established Transport Company from Ashton In Makerfield, near Wigan,
seen here at Landgate Depot, near Junction 25, M6. Picture is courtesy of Eddie Heaton.

Volvo F7, Reg No. A922 NUD coupled to Ex Regentruck/Lansing fork truck trailer at Leeds Street depot, Wigan,1989.
Picture is courtesy of John Wilkinson.

A922 NUD.png

Ford D Series , D1614, Reg No. UNH 67K Fitted with Brimec “Tilt And Slide” bodywork.

Brimec.jpg

UNH 67K.jpg

Volvo F7, at Leeds Street depot, Wigan, 1989. Picture quality not good.

Came across this on flickr.
Oily

image.jpg

Thanks to oiltreader for the photo of the wrecker, OAD 170F. I’d heard that this motor was in the ownership of Warren Fayle, although this is the first time that I’ve seen it in its restored condition.

Here are a couple of photos of the same motor that I posted on the Wreckers thread a while back.

One shows the wagon as it was when it still possessed its original Volvo power unit, before being purchased by Alan Holmes, who proceeded to replace the Volvo engine with a ■■■■■■■ unit.

The big lad in the shot would have been the son of Alan Holmes, and I’m guessing the photo would have been taken around 30 years ago.

The picture quality has suffered somewhat unfortunately, due to the fact that they have been copied from copies, as opposed to having been copied from the original photos.

Agnew & Lithgow of Stranraer and Rochdale were frequently seen at the depot of Robert Baillie Transport
at Chapel Lane, Wigan, in the late 1960s and early 1970s. On behalf of Baillies, Agnews did most of the
Guernsey Tomato traffic to Belfast Wholesale Fruit Market. A full load would usually be taken on Baillies
trailer to Belfast, whereas a part load would be transhipped at Wigan on to one of their trailers. Ray Smyth.
(Not my picture)

One for Ray.

DCP_0811p.JPG

I understand that Reed’s were taken over by SCA.

Click on pages twice to read.

You mentioned Redland had a yard in Wigan.

L1440p.JPG

DEANB:

Dean, Thank you for the SCA, Reeds, and Redland pictures. You are a Gentleman and a Scholar. Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Dean, Thank you for the SCA, Reeds, and Redland pictures. You are a Gentleman and a Scholar. Regards, Ray.

No worries chap ! :wink:

This is my Mercedes Benz 508D, parked up on a beach near Carnac, in Brittany, France.
I had just done my last drop to one of several Eurocamp campsites,in June 1985, on behalf of
Bradburn Camping at Abbey Lakes, near Wigan. Next stop is Roscoff, and the overnight
sailing to Plymouth on Brittany Ferries “Tregastel”. Ray Smyth.

A couple.
Oily

Wigan Richard 40357912351_6e85a623cf_rs o.jpg

Wigan Marrus Bridge roundabout  Dave Green cc by sa 2.0 Overturned_Lorry_-geograph.org.uk-_dave green923926.jpg

Thank you to Oily for the pictures. The 1st picture is on the A49 Warrington Road, looking North.
I can recall many lorry rollover incidents at this location, usually from approaching the roundabout
too fast from all directions. The roundabout has been altered to a busy crossroad junction, with traffic lights.
The green Scania artic belongs to Hill Brothers from Higher Ince, Wigan. Hills used to be at
Martland Mill Lane, near where Martland Park Industrial Area is now. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
The green Scania artic belongs to Hill Brothers from Higher Ince, Wigan. Hills used to be at
Martland Mill Lane, near where Martland Park Industrial Area is now. Regards, Ray Smyth.

They did indeed Ray - I remember when they used to run very smart Seddon Atkinson 400 series - William Hunter had one which was going to be used as a donor wagon for one of his restorations. Their livery has never looked as smart since they dropped the red (bumpers, etc…)

Reed Corrugated Cases and Reed Transport became SCA Packaging and SCA Transport in August 1991.
Picture is courtesy of Paul C. Gee and Dean. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Reeds SCA.jpeg

Reed Corrugated Cases had many Ford D Series artics at their Wigan factory,
approx 500 yards/metres from Junction 25 of the M6 Motorway. Not my picture.

Ray Smyth

Ripponden & District parcel vans were seen in the Wigan area every day, Monday to Friday.
I first met one of their drivers, Roy Barmby (R.I.P.) in 1990, and saw him very often until he
passed away about 2005. Picture is courtesy of John old67. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ripponden & District Albion TWT 331L, Parked up, driver having a brew. Ray Smyth.

Ripponden.jpg