Why the fook don’t other drivers just wait?

robroy:
I don’t believe as some do that the majority of today’s truckers are totally incompetent at their job, but there is definitely a higher percentage of incompetent f/whits sat behind wheels of artics as there ever used to be.

Reason…modern trucks are now just like cars to drive unlike the old days when the vast difference between cars and trucks created a selection process, where the useless, thick and incompetent could not get through the natural selection ‘net’.

So nowadays they do, and they actually ‘‘drive’’ their trucks like cars, with no empathy or consideration towards others.

The cutting in thing the o/p mentions is my personal no.1 pet hate, in the old days drivers would just wait for the inevitable flash and you never got the cut ins (as far as I recall it anyway)
Then a few smart arses stopped the considerate flash and the uncertain ones rather than stop out longer just pulled in and hoped for the best…and it just escalated from there.

I finally caught one of those Roger Hunts, after he nearly put me in the hard shoulder with his trailer, pulling in Strensham serv one night…I wanted to [zb] kill him (very out of character btw, I normally just raise above it in a pro way, but this opportunity was just too good, although a weak moment :blush: )

I opened his cab door and said along the lines of ‘‘Wtf are you playing at mate’’ he was totally oblivious to what I told him just happened.
He sat there (in his [zb] hi viz :unamused: ) with a gormless look on his face (with [zb] rings pierced all over it, :unamused: )and said ‘‘Derr sorry mate’’
I just walked away head shaking thinking… whats the [zb] point of maybe starting a ruck and getting arrested on a road rage charge, (with the sack into the mix) just for that gormless unemployable prick :smiling_imp: .
No doubt he will have set off and done the same again.
[/quote/]
I hope you first sentence was not aimed at me. I know there are still many competent drivers around it’s just there seems to be more and more incompetent ones these days.
Saying that some of the ones that drive badly on a day to day basis are probably more than capable and competent but just have the wrong attitude towards others.
It’s the ones like you just described that are the really scary ones as they don’t have a scooby about anything and are an accident waiting to happen.
They really should not have a license.

robroy:
I don’t believe as some do that the majority of today’s truckers are totally incompetent at their job, but there is definitely a higher percentage of incompetent f/whits sat behind wheels of artics as there ever used to be.

Reason…modern trucks are now just like cars to drive unlike the old days when the vast difference between cars and trucks created a selection process, where the useless, thick and incompetent could not get through the natural selection ‘net’.

So nowadays they do, and they actually ‘‘drive’’ their trucks like cars, with no empathy or consideration towards others.

The cutting in thing the o/p mentions is my personal no.1 pet hate, in the old days drivers would just wait for the inevitable flash and you never got the cut ins (as far as I recall it anyway)

To be fair most old school motorway overtakes were a case of 65 mph + in lane 2 v 50-55 mph in lane 1.Which was a far higher speed differential and therefore much easier to build a bigger gap much sooner meaning less pressure on overtaking drivers to return to lane 1 than now the case with limiters.On that note the issue of long drawn out overtakes,resulting from silly speed differentials,causing road rage as a result and often traffic trying to cut in behind and under taking,as you return to lane 1 with a decent gap as part of that,is all too real and even also affects cars assuming a driver is justifiably worried about getting nicked for speeding during an overtaking move.

jakethesnake:
I hope you first sentence was not aimed at me. I know there are still many competent drivers around it’s just there seems to be more and more incompetent ones these days.
Saying that some of the ones that drive badly on a day to day basis are probably more than capable and competent but just have the wrong attitude towards others.
It’s the ones like you just described that are the really scary ones as they don’t have a scooby about anything and are an accident waiting to happen.

Well it wasn’t really tbh mate, (it aint ‘‘all about you’’ you know)…but what if it was?
You seem to spend most of your time commenting on bad drivers on here, even on threads that are not on that subject.
Tbf I do tend to agree with a lot of what you say, but don’t spend most of my time banging on about it.

hiabman:
Either my space perception is out of sink or the vast majority out ont road just do not know what is an adequate space to leave prior to coming back in.

No bugger will leave at least another Artic length in front before merging back in.

What I’ve found though is that I’ve been flashed in when I’m just a few feet past them. I still stay out for a bit more to make some space for them but you then find them going off like a strobe light because you’ve not pulled in fast enough. Can’t win.

robroy:

jakethesnake:

Well it wasn’t really tbh mate, (it aint ‘‘all about you’’ you know)…but what if it was?
You seem to spend most of your time commenting on bad drivers on here, even on threads that are not on that subject.
Tbf I do tend to agree with a lot of what you say, but don’t spend most of my time banging on about it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
pre limiters then if there was any elephant racing it was done between 65 and 75 mph where it wasnt too much of a big deal compared to nowadays with everyone strangling the roads to death at 52-55.
its noticably a race downhill with the more recent additions to the hgv fraternity indocrinated in sotbart/tesco type inductions as the knock on effect of dumbing the job down results in a cabbage wearing a hi viz poodling around without a clue as to what the job really should entail.
the bright side of this should mean in 10 or 15 years from now,then these dudes will be seen to be the "experienced " drivers hence surely a classic case of the blind leading the blind with the traffic office being the lunatics running the asylum.

dieseldog999:
lunatics running the asylum.

It’s just a matter of time until they try to ‘fix’ it all by imposing a 50 mph blanket limit on all motorways including cars.Combined with the same rule of only use lanes 2,3,4 for overtaking and return to lane 1 as soon as possible to prevent lane hogging.What could possibly go wrong.

Juddian:
If you think this lot are bad, just wait till the next round of dumbing down has borne fruit, all downhill now.

Especially with the current desperation for just about anyone with a licence :grimacing:

hiabman:
I’ve been doing this job now for 20 years.

I did a decade on rigids. A combo of 18 tonners and 6 wheelers for builders merchants.

Then 7 years on drawbar and 3 driving artics.

Either my space perception is out of sink or the vast majority out ont road just do not know what is an adequate space to leave prior to coming back in.

No bugger will leave at least another Artic length in front before merging back in.

An age old gripe, admittedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Sadly drivers fall into two camps those who seem it beyond them to accept being flashed in the “I know how long my truck is brigade” versus the “Let me know drive when you are happy with the distance”. I am in the latter camp. For what it’s worth with no flash when the overtaken truck is about 1/3 down from the top of my n/s mirror is when I would come in. There are of course drivers who feel it is beneath them to flash in at all.

Flashing important at night and when it’s raining. Rain droplets can be a bugger on mirrors.

Or what about the ones that only give a fraction of a flash? “Was that a flash or you going over a bump?”

Sand Fisher:
Interesting. Sadly drivers fall into two camps those who seem it beyond them to accept being flashed in the “I know how long my truck is brigade” versus the “Let me know drive when you are happy with the distance”. I am in the latter camp. For what it’s worth with no flash when the overtaken truck is about 1/3 down from the top of my n/s mirror is when I would come in. There are of course drivers who feel it is beneath them to flash in at all.

Flashing important at night and when it’s raining. Rain droplets can be a bugger on mirrors.

Ah yeh, the… ‘‘I don’t need flashed, as I know exactly where the back of my trailer is’’ crew :unamused: , usually the ones that contradict themselves every time they (nearly) overtake every ■■■■. . :unamused: arse wipes of the highest order. :imp:

I’m in the same camp as you, but tbh I couldn’t give a toss if I’m flashed in or not, if I am fair do.s, I always think they are a decent considerate driver, not a twunt, …but if not I always leave more space than I need to before I pull back in whatever.

Carryfast:

robroy:

To be fair most old school motorway overtakes were a case of 65 mph + in lane 2 v 50-55 mph in lane 1.Which was a far higher speed differential and therefore much easier to build a bigger gap much sooner meaning less pressure on overtaking drivers to return to lane 1 than now the case with limiters.On that note the issue of long drawn out overtakes,resulting from silly speed differentials,causing road rage as a result and often traffic trying to cut in behind and under taking,as you return to lane 1 with a decent gap as part of that,is all too real and even also affects cars assuming a driver is justifiably worried about getting nicked for speeding during an overtaking move.
[/quote

The problem with some drivers regarding limiters is they have no self discipline. ie foot flat to the floor and won’t lift off.

This winds me up so much. I don’t flash someone back in until I’m happy with the gap and half the time they cut in before I’ve flashed. When it’s really close I’ve started using my horn and moving into the mirror view and flashing my lights at them now. It makes it dangerous for me/you, not them.

DickyNick:
When it’s really close I’ve started using my horn and moving into the mirror view and flashing my lights at them now. .

I’ve done that too. :blush:
Waste of time though, by the very fact these pricks cut in proves they DON’T use their mirrors. :smiling_imp:

I’ve noticed drivers cutting in earlier since changing jobs from tippers to foodservice. Whether they assune we’re all ex van/forklift drivers or maybe they’ve heard how much an hour we get paid and how easy the job is?
…I don’t work for Bidvest or Brakes by the way…

wrighty1:

Bamblemash:

commonrail:
Love it when they give me the dancing indicators…when i hav’nt even flashed them.

Auto pilot much :unamused:

This is NOT directed at you…I would add to that and say it may be a sarcastic flash (I do it a lot). As in thanks for nothing you narrow minded king of the road.

Or it may be that a driver did flash but you didn’t see it so you give them dancing indicators just incase- because you don’t want to come across as being ungrateful or a narrow minded king of the road?

Totally agree with this, it’s a case of good manners with a hint of sarcasm :smiley:

I flash every single driver in,but 90% are in before I get the chance :wink:

commonrail:

wrighty1:

Bamblemash:

commonrail:
Love it when they give me the dancing indicators…when i hav’nt even flashed them.

Auto pilot much :unamused:

This is NOT directed at you…I would add to that and say it may be a sarcastic flash (I do it a lot). As in thanks for nothing you narrow minded king of the road.

Or it may be that a driver did flash but you didn’t see it so you give them dancing indicators just incase- because you don’t want to come across as being ungrateful or a narrow minded king of the road?

Totally agree with this, it’s a case of good manners with a hint of sarcasm :smiley:

I flash every single driver in,but 90% are in before I get the chance :wink:

Yeah but they are all experts.They know best. Just look at the stunning standards we have these days. :wink: