Pulling into lay-bys

Why do some drivers not back off when your clearly showing intention of going into the lay-by?

Just coming down the A1 then, I started signalling over half a mile away from the lay by. Truck behind still a foot away, so then started showing some brake lights. As we get closer and closer what do you think he does?

A/ move into a clear lane 2 to pass me
B/ slow down an create a safe gap?

Nope, just stays a foot away even though at some point he must know I’m going to be significantly slowing down.

Anyone with half a brain should realise that you can’t pull into a lay-by at 56mph. You need to do most of your slowing down in lane 1.

have you done your daily checks , are you sure your brake lights / indicators are working :question: , did weekly check on Mrs car and n/s indicator bulb had gone , she’d only previous day said similar to you , car nearly hit back of her as she turned into our road and he’d hit horn at her , I just put it down to him/ her being idiot but it could of well been indicator not working

Your mistake was in your first sentence, they ain’t drivers and never will be long as they have a hole in their arse, that’s half witted car driver haven’t got a second to live stuff trying to intimidate the person in front into making their maneuver as stupidly as they would, and just to prove how much you held them up, they’re going to stick right up your arse till the very last second so they have been slowed to a crawl, instead of, as you correctly say, either holding back or taking overtaking action…but hey that’s taught you a lesson for holding them up eh :confused: :unamused: you can’t fix stupid.

You can try to help them out by giving several bursts of indicator several times on the approach but if they’re too thick, as so many are sadly, to realise what you’re going to do, well you’ve gone above and beyond and more than they deserve, so let them just carry on till they inevitably stove the nsf into the back of another lorry.

You see idiots like this stopping full brakes from warp speed brakes alone, pull into wherever they are switch the engine straight off (so good for the turbo bearings that :unamused: )and apply the parking brake onto discs/drums that are still near enough glowing red, does the discs and pads a power of good too :unamused:

I had a idiot like that ( pye of Whem ) on the A41 just off the M54 always up my arse , I had to brake for car who decided to pull in to gulf garage at last moment still up my arse then I got near the first tucked back lay by and as I needed to stop I pulled in slowing right down before hand so the idiot had to as well but he was still up my arse

Try doing it at night when you can’t see the layby, never mind if there’s spaces.

Don’t bother your arse about them mate, just brake up as normal, it’s their problem if they end up under your rear trailer bar, or if some prick in a truck (who should know better) buried in your back doors, and at least it will stop them doing it again

robroy:
Don’t bother your arse about them mate, just brake up as normal, it’s their problem if they end up under your rear trailer bar, or if some prick in a truck (who should know better) buried in your back doors, and at least it will stop them doing it again

+1

robroy:

This was another artic behind me mate!

But no I don’t let them make me brake any later than I want to. I just slow down in the lane as much I need to. As long as I’m signalling like you say, If they want to slow to a crawl when they could go into lane 2 then that’s up to them!

Wasn’t me lol :grimacing: x

Funny you should post this!

The laybys on the A1 definitely make me wary, especially at night.

I was following a wagon up there tonight. He started indicating as we passed the half mile P sign, I couldn’t move over so just knocked her off cruise and used the “exhaust brake” :unamused: to increase the gap. When he started to brake, thanks to other cars coming through by now, I still couldn’t move out, so I just put my hazards on and slowed down with him.

I couldn’t think of anything else to do, but it seemed pretty drama free.

You won’t be the first and only person he will have done that to. I bet a ■■■■ like that thinks it’s great sport to do it to everyone, cars included.

How did we get from ‘Knights of the Road’ to Knuckle-Draggers, who haven’t got a minute to live?

MickM

Juddian:
You see idiots like this stopping full brakes from warp speed brakes alone, pull into wherever they are switch the engine straight off (so good for the turbo bearings that :unamused: )and apply the parking brake onto discs/drums that are still near enough glowing red, does the discs and pads a power of good too :unamused:

Old school…i think about that a lot. Stationary with pads clamped onto hot discs creates a hot spot with ensuing warped discs and switching straight off with a hard worked turbo without letting the heat level out equals vastly reduced turbo life.
Cars on lease/ reps/ fleet trucks and no one gives a ■■■■ though… :unamused:

AndrewG:

Juddian:

Old school…i think about that a lot. Stationary with pads clamped onto hot discs creates a hot spot with ensuing warped discs and switching straight off with a hard worked turbo without letting the heat level out equals vastly reduced turbo life.
Cars on lease/ reps/ fleet trucks and no one gives a [zb] though… :unamused:

The problem with pads clamped tight to red hot discs is not just disc warping, apparently under these extremes some of the now slightly altered pad material can be transferred to the disc, and this material doesn’t simply wear off in subsequent brake operations, so that judder that you think might be a warped disc is this residue.

Do you recall when Ferodo used to offer standard road use brake pads for nearly all applications, were my brake supplier of choice for many years, they came with an abrasive compound bonded to the face of the pad which would deglaze and clean the disc up brilliantly during that bedding in process.
Just out of interest i recently found Carparts4less/Eurocarparts are supplying Brembo discs and pads at very sensible prices…other suppliers of these are available…well after recommendation i now have them fitted to both our cars, and the feel of the brakes now is just like they were after fitting Ferodo, a might lighter pedal application leading to very powerful and progressive braking.
Fair bit of brake dust though, so suspect the pads won’t last terribly long but i can live with that for the pleasure of the better than new braking on the cars, and the dust doesn’t ingrain ito the wheel paint which again leads me to believe it pad dust and not so much steel disc dust rusting into the paint.

Rather the discs had an easy life, first noticed discs wearing quickly on German cars in the 80’s, pads that didn’t wear, in fact the pads would last exactly one disc change as they ripped the disc faces to pieces, so if things were to return to being able to get three sets of pads out of one set of discs i would be the last to complain.

Turbo wise (yoohoo, waves, some of us fleet drivers still care :sunglasses: ), i’ve always warmed and cooled them, and no matter what the latest fad might be i’ll carry one doing so till i hang me keys up for the last time, and there will be plenty of oil in the sump to feed said turbo…changed regularly on my own cars, none of this 20k servicing ■■■■■■■■ :unamused:
So far, i can’t recall a single turbo failure in all me years, so as it does that’s now become a matter of pride to see that to the end.
Plus, if it ■■■■■■ someone off that i let it tickover more than the average bod who hasn’t a second to live, well thats a bonus in itself :smiling_imp:

Offtopic for a moment, unusual you say :wink:

My son lives in quite middle class circumstances and surroundings, and bloody good luck to him.
Most of their friends no longer buy cars, they are increasingly getting new cars on PCP’s or leases, driving them for the standard three years and handing them back.

Now most of these 30 somethings haven’t a bloody clue about cars, few if any would know how to lift the bonnet, so such car rent methods is probably cost effective for many, it wouldn’t suit many of us and i wouldn’t give you a thankyou for a soulless modern heap anyway :open_mouth: :laughing: , but these cars will have the bare minimum of servicing and will have been driven with zero mechanical sympathy, won’t they be brilliant used buys a few years down the line :unamused:

Juddian:

Well Juddian, I have to hold my hands up here to applying my parking brake as soon as my vehicle has stopped. I am not a vehicle mechanic by any means and have never been told this before. I do idle my engine before stopping and run my engine a few mins before revving it up though. So just for my and others benefit who use their parking brakes in this way, how long are you suggesting leaving before applying the parking brake, I know it will depend on braking use, but are we talking mins or seconds here?

UKtramp:

Juddian:

Well Juddian, I have to hold my hands up here to applying my parking brake as soon as my vehicle has stopped. I am not a vehicle mechanic by any means and have never been told this before. I do idle my engine before stopping and run my engine a few mins before revving it up though. So just for my and others benefit who use their parking brakes in this way, how long are you suggesting leaving before applying the parking brake, I know it will depend on braking use, but are we talking mins or seconds here?

Nothing wrong in what you’re doing at all for general use, i’m talking the extremes here with the clowns we see every day that are on the limiter till the very last second and its maximum braking right up to the stop, how many times have you been slowing for a roundabout and literally 200 yrds before fully loaded billy big ■■■■■■■■ comes past bulging eyed still on the limiter cos he’s got to get by.

Its an overall use of brakes thing IMHO, i don’t use the brakes for slowing the vehicle (except in emergency) i use the auxilliary brakes as the primary brake, correct gear for maximum exhaust braking unles you are lucky enough to have decent retarder of some sort, probably have to use manual override on the box unless on Volvos because most auto exhaust brakes arn’t effective enough, so in most cases your brakes won’t be anything other than warm so one can apply the parking brake immediately, for a lorry driver the footbrake should in an ideal world be to bring the vehicle to a final halt, ■■■■■■■■ to the new training standard of brakes to slow gears to go :unamused:

If you’ve had to brake really hard, the thing to do if possible is to not actually allow the vehicle to come to a stop fully if it can be avoided, the ideal in an emergency would be to brake hard then release the extreme pressure on the brakes just as the vehicle halts…its difficult to explain but hope that gives the gist of it, if you have to hold it on the brakes immediately after a really heavy stop, then minimal brake pressure and if poss after a short stop to allow the worse heat to dissipate the you could move a couple of feet in order for the pads to park on another section of disc.

As i said this is is extreme heat were talking about not normal braking, which won’t be a problem if you put the parking brake on straight away.

Also applies to your car, if you were to stop from say three figures, come to a complete halt and leave your foot hard on the brake at that exact point, its very likely that pad material would be transferred onto the red hot disc.

Thanks for clearing that up, great and well written reply. I always like to hear tips and especially on the areas I am unsure of (usually mechanical) Your tips on getting out of a slope and icy roads etc were well received by me and I always respect a driver with more experience and I listen as it is the only way that you learn. It always amazes me how little we know by simply not asking when we are unsure of things, Maybe a bravado thing as we feel less of a driver if we dare to ask, not me though, I am always looking for ways to improve my driving. It is drivers like you that have this experience that willingly pass it on to others that are sadly lacking nowadays.

Kind words mate thankyou, but much of this driving lark is just simple common sense and always has been, its just sad that so few drivers now take a pride in their work or think to learn their vehicles intimately, and all vehicles have good and bad points, so you make use of the good ones and try to short circuit the bad buggers.

Its much easier to work out and practice techniques when the roads are quiet and dry and you don’t need to take over, too late (as in the grip situations) when you’re battling to keep the bloody thing moving or get up that icy hill, trying to learn it at that point isn’t the best time :laughing:

Keeping it on thread, the tailgaters are the most dangerous drivers out there IMHO, i can’t be the only one who avoids lorries as much as possible when out in my own car, its bloody horrible having some brain dead moron in a sodding lorry sitting 6 ft from your back bumpers when there’s nowhere else you or he can go, idiots.

When my son in law told me he was taught gears to go brakes to stop I just laughed - how did they come up with that one? I know vehicles are engineered very differently today and the quality of materials used in the brakes is better than before, but driving a lorry that way just seems totally alien to me.

MickM

MTM12:
When my son in law told me he was taught gears to go brakes to stop I just laughed - how did they come up with that one? I know vehicles are engineered very differently today and the quality of materials used in the brakes is better than before, but driving a lorry that way just seems totally alien to me.

MickM

Using the gears to slow down is harking back to the days of weedy drum brakes. Modern brakes (more so in cars) are virtually fade free so yes your assumption is correct. Also less wear on gearbox. I expect modern truck brakes are fairly fade resistant these days but obviously we use the gears to maximise exhaust brake function.

Having learned just over 2 years ago nothing was mentioned in the practical about gears to slow down. Only a small bit in the theory touched on it.

When I’m very heavy I do use gears to help slow down, particularly when going down hill when approaching a hazard. You can definitely feel when you go into a lower gear that it’s taking some effort away from the brakes and assisting in bringing the speed down.

I don’t feel the need to all the time though in a modern truck and trailer. Can see you would have done more at one time.