Pulling into lay-bys

My former employer was introducing this telemetry bonus scheme, and engine idling was one of the parameters, so I said to a mate, right ■■■■ em, I’m going to shut her down at every stop immediate, I’ll have that bonus in my pocket kerching. He pointed out all the letting the engine run down and the abuse to the starter motor :open_mouth: . I said they aren’t being measured mate, its all about the fuel, we can have as many starters and turbos as we want :wink: , apparently they must be cheaper than a litre of diesel, and there in lays the difference between logistics and haulage :unamused: :smiley:

Though you’d not get me hanging to the back doors of the truck in front as harsh braking and steering were being measured :wink:

To the OP its the brain disengaged mentality that’s pervasive in this industry now. And its all very well saying let them run into the back your truck, but you end up filling out accident forms, and then having to recount the event for your own insurer :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Same story with mpg bonuses. I used to drive agency for Topps Tiles, regular run was first drop Cirencester so straight down the Fosse way from Leicester. The blue route boys would use m5 and get better mpg but actually use more fuel overall due to the extra miles. I did try explaining it to TM but he didn’t get it.

eddie snax:
And its all very well saying let them run into the back your truck, but you end up filling out accident forms, and then having to recount the event for your own insurer :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

So what do you do, deal with bad driving by bad driving, by teararsing into the lay by, and slamming on at last minute, so d/head behind you misses burying himself in your back door?
What would you do?

robroy:

eddie snax:
And its all very well saying let them run into the back your truck, but you end up filling out accident forms, and then having to recount the event for your own insurer :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

So what do you do, deal with bad driving by bad driving, by teararsing into the lay by, and slamming on at last minute, so d/head behind you misses burying himself in your back door?
What would you do?

I TRY to avoid them going in the back of me by early signal and smooth, gentle braking so they’ve got loads of warning with the brake lights on. If they still choose to go in the back of me then I’ve done all I can. What I won’t do is go in the lay by too fast because of them.

robroy:
Don’t bother your arse about them mate, just brake up as normal, it’s their problem if they end up under your rear trailer bar, or if some prick in a truck (who should know better) buried in your back doors, and at least it will stop them doing it again

robroy:

eddie snax:

What would you do?

I might change My driving style, as Rowley did, try to raise the brain dead’s attention to the truck ahead.

Rowley010:
, I started signalling over half a mile away from the lay by. Truck behind still a foot away, so then started showing some brake lights. .

I’m also cognisant of the immediate and future implications of being involved in an accident, even though it is quite clearly a third parties fault. For you to say Don’t bother your arse about them mate is both surprising and probably untrue, I believe that a driver with your experience and road craft would bother himself, I’m not saying get intimidated or flustered into making mistakes of your own. But you would certainly be aware that you were being pursued by the brain dead, and to that effect maybe slow your approach and indicate earlier.

In the final analysis, if you are rear ended its just shed load of agro, Its on your driving record at work, and you have to tell any future employer and insurer for between 3 and 5 years, which just adds a level of complication to an interview, or pound signs to a premium.

So be bothered drive be aware, don’t allow the idiots to bring you down.

Yeh ok I take your point.
My point was though, as long as you are approaching safely at the proper speed, giving plenty of notice on your signalling etc, it’s up to him behind you to react accordingly, not you to take severe evasive action by maybe approaching a bit faster for example, to counteract him being sat up your chute,.and trying to counteract his ■■■■ poor driving.
That was what I meant by don’t bother your arse, it’s his responsibility, you have done everything by the book, it’s his call.

robroy:
Yeh ok I take your point.
My point was though, as long as you are approaching safely at the proper speed, giving plenty of notice on your signalling etc, it’s up to him behind you to react accordingly, not you to take severe evasive action by maybe approaching a bit faster for example, to counteract him being sat up your chute,.and trying to counteract his ■■■■ poor driving.
That was what I meant by don’t bother your arse, it’s his responsibility, you have done everything by the book, it’s his call.

As I thought Rob, didn’t expect anything different from you :smiley: . And as usual we agree with action to be taken :wink:

098Joe:
Same story with mpg bonuses. I used to drive agency for Topps Tiles, regular run was first drop Cirencester so straight down the Fosse way from Leicester. The blue route boys would use m5 and get better mpg but actually use more fuel overall due to the extra miles. I did try explaining it to TM but he didn’t get it.

Use that route all the time if I’m under 4.2m all the way down to the M4 - those Romans new a thing or two about getting from A-B

098Joe:

MTM12:
When my son in law told me he was taught gears to go brakes to stop I just laughed - how did they come up with that one? I know vehicles are engineered very differently today and the quality of materials used in the brakes is better than before, but driving a lorry that way just seems totally alien to me.

MickM

Using the gears to slow down is harking back to the days of weedy drum brakes. Modern brakes (more so in cars) are virtually fade free so yes your assumption is correct. Also less wear on gearbox. I expect modern truck brakes are fairly fade resistant these days but obviously we use the gears to maximise exhaust brake function.

I hardly touch the brakes unless I’m coming to a complete halt. I run my trucks for minimum fifteen years, and beyond depending on parts availability, and they have the same gearboxes with no wear issues anyone not using engine braking is someone who isn’t do the brake relines. Most trailers have regrettably gone back to drums. Discs on all six axles aren’t fade free in some circumstances although in a lot of cases, it’s caused by driver inexperience applying brakes constantly during hill descent rather than in bursts.

Own Account Driver:

098Joe:

MTM12:
When my son in law told me he was taught gears to go brakes to stop I just laughed - how did they come up with that one? I know vehicles are engineered very differently today and the quality of materials used in the brakes is better than before, but driving a lorry that way just seems totally alien to me.

MickM

Using the gears to slow down is harking back to the days of weedy drum brakes. Modern brakes (more so in cars) are virtually fade free so yes your assumption is correct. Also less wear on gearbox. I expect modern truck brakes are fairly fade resistant these days but obviously we use the gears to maximise exhaust brake function.

I hardly touch the brakes unless I’m coming to a complete halt. I run my trucks for minimum fifteen years, and beyond depending on parts availability, and they have the same gearboxes with no wear issues anyone not using engine braking is someone who isn’t do the brake relines. Most trailers have regrettably gone back to drums. Discs on all six axles aren’t fade free in some circumstances although in a lot of cases, it’s caused by driver inexperience applying brakes constantly during hill descent rather than in bursts.

Are learner drivers even taught what brake fade is when learning? I still remember being taught about it by an old school instructor, the phrase, ‘Brake Fade - Is a loss of braking efficiency caused by repeated and prolonged application of the brakes’ still sticks in my mind.

MickM

MTM12:
Are learner drivers even taught what brake fade is when learning? I still remember being taught about it by an old school instructor, the phrase, ‘Brake Fade - Is a loss of braking efficiency caused by repeated and prolonged application of the brakes’ still sticks in my mind.

MickM

Are you serious?
When you see some of them, even some that have done a couple of years, they look like they’ve been barely taught to drive.

robroy:

MTM12:

MickM

Are you serious?
When you see some of them, even some that have done a couple of years, they look like they’ve been barely taught to drive.

I think I would have to agree with you. :smiley:

MickM