Merge in turn

Apparently we’re all…

Doing it incorrectly.

msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/how … d=msedgntp

For my own part, I couldn’t care less who’s in what lane, doing what ever speed with what ever gap they wanna leave. I’m getting to like being an old ■■■■, nothing, least of all a traffic queue bothers me any more.

800 yards…I’ll let you in
600 yards…I’ll let you in
400 yards…I’ll let you in
200 yards…pi$$ off I won’t let you in, they’ve had enough time to merge, wake up and watch the road

With you on that one daf daily cheers Ray

I’ve never been one to get stressed and possessive about ‘my’ bit of road. I realised early on it was just pointless stress (plus driving buses and coaches means it wasn’t acceptable) and I float around leaving plenty of space for anyone to do what they want and believe it it’s a very relaxing way to drive*

*insert predictable joke about crashing here

DAF_Daily:
800 yards…I’ll let you in
600 yards…I’ll let you in
400 yards…I’ll let you in
200 yards…pi$$ off I won’t let you in, they’ve had enough time to merge, wake up and watch the road

Wrong wrong wrong. Okay it does depend on speed however we’re supposed to merge at the pinchpoint but there to many selfish b… that will close the gap and I have priority sydrome.

Likewise your at a traffic light both lanes go straight ahead 0 vehicles in lane 1, 5 vechile in lane 2. There a parked car in lane one for traffic flow if you can do it safely use lane 1 it’s better for traffic flow however space closes will want cause a accident. If you do your ADI for advance driver it say so too I know I kinda contradicted myself cause this goes against forward planning however we should be able to use both lane safely

Actually if all car drivers used the right lane, in for example a 2 down to one situation, and trucks exclusively the left lane then it would make things a lot quicker, since each truck is approximately 4 cars and would only let one car in :laughing:
In fact it should be a law :slight_smile: Oh I forgot though, there are no laws on the road now are there :unamused: (Unless a camera is involved of course).

switchlogic:
I’ve never been one to get stressed and possessive about ‘my’ bit of road. I realised early on it was just pointless stress (plus driving buses and coaches means it wasn’t acceptable) and I float around leaving plenty of space for anyone to do what they want and believe it it’s a very relaxing way to drive]

I take it you didn’t get the start with National Express then :laughing:

Use all the space up to where the merge takes place and then merge in turn - it needs to be made law like it is in the USA

If they did not want the space used prior to the merge point then they would bring the merge point nearer

Why drivers in this country all get into one lane and leave the other available lane empty is beyond me :exclamation:

manski:

switchlogic:
I’ve never been one to get stressed and possessive about ‘my’ bit of road. I realised early on it was just pointless stress (plus driving buses and coaches means it wasn’t acceptable) and I float around leaving plenty of space for anyone to do what they want and believe it it’s a very relaxing way to drive]

I take it you didn’t get the start with National Express then :laughing:

Actually that was my last full time job on coaches! Often double manned and the driving was HORRIFYING!

manski:
Actually if all car drivers used the right lane, in for example a 2 down to one situation, and trucks exclusively the left lane then it would make things a lot quicker, since each truck is approximately 4 cars and would only let one car in :laughing:
In fact it should be a law :slight_smile: Oh I forgot though, there are no laws on the road now are there :unamused: (Unless a camera is involved of course).

This system is in place in Germany and it is disastrous, you will regularly find queues of lorries up to 10km before the start of the roadworks, the roadworks at Heilbron in southern Germany are a classic case a permanent 8 to 10km queue during the daytime. One of the reasons being that because lorries cannot leave the inside lane at junctions it all grinds to a halt as the cars use the non lorry lanes and then cut in to get off resulting in the inside lane braking and then due to the roadworks, shortened slip roads mean that vehicles cannot join at pace and so everything again grinds to a halt. It may not appear so but the management of the roadworks in the UK are among the better systems in Europe.

If there’s standing traffic going into the roadworks, you’ll find me in the to-be-closed lane - own car and truck. The key is not to be a nob about it. Just tootle along at around the same speed as the other lane, don’t try to force your way in or use your indicator to ‘create’ a gap, just keep trundling towards the cones, leave nice big gaps and I can 99% guarantee that the space will appear for you to ‘zip’. Keep the cones close to your side so that anyone behind you doesnt use the space you’ve just vacated to nip around in front of you.

The reasons these 2 mile long queues appear with a completely empty unused lane is because everyone craps their pants and doesn’t want to be the black sheep. Take the lead and others will follow.

It depends if its Friday or not

800 yards ■■■■ off
600 yards ■■■■ off
400 yards ■■■■ off
200 yards ■■■■ off
0 yards eat some ■■■■■■■ cones

It would work, but only if everyone stayed in lane till the merge point, where it fails is drivers pulling in before the merge points some pull in at 800 metres, then others carry on and pull in twenty metres further on and so on, so the ones who get through quicker are the ones that stayed in to the end, but every one else is pushed further back because of the drivers changing lanes before the merge point.

Washwipe:
It would work, but only if everyone stayed in lane till the merge point, where it fails is drivers pulling in before the merge points some pull in at 800 metres, then others carry on and pull in twenty metres further on and so on, so the ones who get through quicker are the ones that stayed in to the end, but every one else is pushed further back because of the drivers changing lanes before the merge point.

That’s it and that’s why it doesn’t work unless people stay in their lanes and zip as intended.

polite and follow the ‘zip merge’ technique without…

That doesn’t apply to Audi or BMW drivers though right? :smiley: