Why do some truckers drive such crappy cars?

I had an R reg fiesta for about ten years. Every year it passed its mot and had a service and change from a hundred quid - except when it needed a new exhaust

Now got a BMW. 53 plate electric everything . leather seats and the roof comes off
Only cost 3k (joys of buying a car a week before Christmas) but there is a nagging worry if it went wrong it would cost a fortune to put right

Lovely to drive tho.

Used to have a nice car but got fed up of getting dings and scratches when I left it in car parks, also the amount of times I got tailgated/raced/carved up on the roads I just decided to by an old banger, I have a battered old skoda pickup now, screams out “stay the ■■■■ away from me I don’t care” and it seems to work. Even get space left around me in the car park :slight_smile:

I do have a nice classic car for the weekend but I hardly take it out because of the above reasons, people are just ■■■■■ nowadays they just don’t care about people’s property or get jealous if they think you have something better and try to trash it :frowning:

Thanks for all the replies guys, quite a mixed bag of responses… :smiley: One of the reasons I asked, was when I did my week long drivers cpc course last year, the other guys were turning up in big Audis, Jags and Range Rovers etc. All working at different places, some regular and some agency. Made me feel like a peasant… :confused: Compare that with many transport yards where there is more of a mixture of vehicles.

What has surprised however in some replies to this thread, is where some state they have an old car just to get to and from work, but have no other car? Don’t you guys go away on holiday, or have days out at the coast or other places, or have interests you have to travel to at weekends?

My Astra estate was bought secondhand over seven years ago to transport a 15ft long Canadian canoe at weekends, weighing in at 45kgs. A lot safer where the roof rails are built in as part of the structure. Since then I also took up caravanning, which meant fitting a towbar and having an engine remap. Towbar is also used to mount a cycle carrier if I go mountain biking at weekends (almost never ride on public roads). It is very much a workhorse rather than some fancy car, but it is still kept tidy, which was the point I was making in the title. Wasn’t on about the value of the car, or how old it was, more so some of the condition of those nails that some drivers have.

There are a few things that put me off buying a more modern car, including dodgy DMF’s, DPF’s and their useless ‘limp home’ modes. Lack of a full sized spare and even no spare with many cars now. I was even reading a review the other day where some people carrier (maybe VW) now has an adblue tank on it. :open_mouth:

My ‘other vehicle’, is a classic Honda Nighthawk from the early nineties. Simple and economical. No way would I ever go to work on that though.

now I have to choose from a selection of company cars its an insignia I drive, when I was driving it was an impreza the amount of comments such as how can you afford to run that etc etc. this was a 1994 m plate (mind you running about 400bhp) but why the judgement?

plus the fact I was on agency meant my extra wages allowed the additional fuel expenses :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BillyHunt:
I dont take the car, it’s only 13.8 Km to work so I cycle. Chained to the bike park with the front wheel in the cab with me, unless it’s going to rain in which case the whole bike rides on the bed.
My car is a Lexus, hers is a Clio, daughters is a fiesta.

I feel your pain :wink: ■■■■ good cars though, shame the fuel consumption wasn’t a bit less. Sold mine as atrocious around town and only ave. 33.7 mpg on a 600 mile run driving like an old ■■■■ and even with the snow button on :open_mouth:

war1974:
now I have to choose from a selection of company cars its an insignia I drive, when I was driving it was an impreza the amount of comments such as how can you afford to run that etc etc. this was a 1994 m plate (mind you running about 400bhp) but why the judgement?

plus the fact I was on agency meant my extra wages allowed the additional fuel expenses :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I used to have a scoob. A p1 running 470bhp with forged internals (this was in 2007 when I was 21). It was a good car…but I swapped it for an Evo. And now my daily runner is a Mondeo ST220, which has never missed a beat, and my weekend toy is a 1990 imported Nissan Silva PS13, it’s a drift comp car really but I have yet to come across anything over here that can touch it on the roads. It is converted with a Supra 2JZ engine though, same as this one youtu.be/sZOkUYikWLU

I wouldn’t take it to work though!

was my daily runabout MD so had no choice, luckily most of the places I went had secure parking which was a bonus.

never got into the drifting thing but don’t half miss the power and turbo and lack of money each month :laughing: :laughing:

war1974:
was my daily runabout MD so had no choice, luckily most of the places I went had secure parking which was a bonus.

never got into the drifting thing but don’t half miss the power and turbo and lack of money each month :laughing: :laughing:

Haha tell me about it War. I can’t have a car without now, that’s why I keep one stored away. There is nothing better than seeing someone on a ninja or gixxer look at you in disgust.

I’m currently enjoying the dreadful fuel economy of a Focus RS.(mk 2). Volvo engine’d wage destroyer.

eagerbeaver:
I’m currently enjoying the dreadful fuel economy of a Focus RS.(mk 2). Volvo engine’d wage destroyer.

Nice car mate! I hope it’s in rs snotty green!

Michael Douglas:

eagerbeaver:

its the only colour to have it in asbo green :laughing:

war1974:

Michael Douglas:

eagerbeaver:

its the only colour to have it in asbo green :laughing:

Ohhh yessss!

Performance blue.

eagerbeaver:
Performance blue.

My st220 is performance blue…its a very good colour. However, you had the option for snotty green and threw it out of the window Beav! Good god man!!

It was all about the mileage for me mate.(mine’s got 23k on her). I’ve only had it for a month or so, I wanted one to keep for a long time and would have had ultimate green or the blue. I didn’t want a white one because IMO, they don’t look quite as good.

Going to valet it in a few minutes after my brew. Rare day off today. My mate’s son is going to a prom thingy tomorrow night and has mithered the death out of me to drop him off in front of his mate’s!!

Christ that makes me feel old. I’m only bloody 42.

eagerbeaver:
It was all about the mileage for me mate.(mine’s got 23k on her). I’ve only had it for a month or so, I wanted one to keep for a long time and would have had ultimate green or the blue. I didn’t want a white one because IMO, they don’t look quite as good.

Going to valet it in a few minutes after my brew. Rare day off today. My mate’s son is going to a prom thingy tomorrow night and has mithered the death out of me to drop him off in front of his mate’s!!

:laughing: of course you are! You can’t have good cars when you’re ‘young’! You should make it look similar to a wedding car…a few nice little ribbons etc! :laughing:

Michael Douglas:

eagerbeaver:

:laughing: of course you are! You can’t have good cars when you’re ‘young’! You should make it look similar to a wedding car…a few nice little ribbons etc! :laughing:

play some old skool dance tunes full tilt when arriving (much better than this modern stuff!!).

Winseer:
Made a drop at this place yesterday - the car park in the foreground had no less than a Ferarri BB, a Ferarri Testarossa, two really old Lamborghinis (both with all wheels missing!), and some super SUV type car just pulling out that I’ve never seen before with a Poseidon’s trident emblem on it…

C’mon petrol heads - what was THAT one then? :open_mouth: (I didnt get close enough to read any other aspects on the car, as it was leaving when I saw it…)
Even in this pic, there’s a couple of fancy cars parked there one can see… The firm must be some kind of MOT and seriving outfit for super cars I reckons?

HR Owen Park Royal?

Pimpdaddy:
I drive a ‘crappy car’ because I can’t afford a ‘decent’ one bought with cash outright because I don’t do credit, leasing, finance etc.

So do I. I refuse point blank to take credit for anything
The fact my credit score makes the Greek one look healthy is irrelevant. Its MY choice dammnit! :laughing:

play and hols

work v6 navara

wife has a zarfira sport thingy lol