Which to choose......

manski:
Truckertart, if you are employed directly by Aldi, which I assuming you are, do you get a staff discount ? Serious question, as it could be worth a bit to some people.

No we don’t. We keep asking but we are told that Aldi are already discounted prices for everyone. To be fair management have got a point. I suppose having worked for both Asda and Iceland and receiving 10% discount at both you just expect it to be the norm. But Aldi aren’t the norm. Hand on heart Aldi is the best of my supermarket experience. So no discount is really not an issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’d do the tipper job because iv’e done supermarket/ department store work for twenty years and the b/s and constant micro management gets old after a while. Or maybe iv’e watched Hell drivers too much :wink: :wink: :blush:

manski:
Truckertart, if you are employed directly by Aldi, which I assuming you are, do you get a staff discount ? Serious question, as it could be worth a bit to some people.

That is a wind up . . . isn’t it ?

I have limped on tippers for four different firms. I have never been hassled into driving fast or maximising asset returns, that is pointy shoe talk meaning don’t hang about.Have done multi drop for Spar but a long time ago.

I have to be honest, and say that all this talk of tippers continually careerring about the place, is foreign to me.

Or is it only an English thing?

Supatramp:
I have to be honest, and say that all this talk of tippers continually careerring about the place, is foreign to me.

All over the UK, it’s as British as a rigid 8! :smiley:

Supatramp:

A lot of English tipper drivers used to be Scottish fish wagon drivers … :slight_smile:

tippers,then you can look in the mirror every morning and say…it could be worse,at least i have my self respect and am not working for aldi. ( you can substitute tesco,sainsburys,or any of the other brain dead plobber jobs around).

truckertart:
Hi pbc453. I’m an Aldi driver at the Bolton depot. I can’t give you any advice about tippers but I can fill you in about some of the Aldi ways.
Our depot do not self load as a rule and we do 3 shops a day on a normal day. Occasionally when we have spare drivers they work in the warehouse and load all day if it’s quiet or may go out on an overspill run that you load yourself if it’s a busy day.
At stores there are electric trucks to unload with so no heavy pushing and pulling. Everything is palletised so no heavy cages. Every store you are told where the stuff goes if you don’t already know and you are left to get on with it.
Not all car parks are blindside reverses. Some are service yards. Yes sometimes the car parks test your patience and driving skills and invariably you do get the odd damage done. Stores that either have no time curfews or are impossible to get into during the day due to car parks are done at night.
Bolton depot is deemed to be very efficient the way our deliveries are planned etc. Other depots are looking at the way we work to maybe change from self load 2 stores a day to preloaded 3 stores a day.
Bolton depot day drivers will be on £14 hour imminently due to a pay rise. Nights over £16. Sittingbourne will be on more as it’s a southern depot.
We work 5 on 3 off. Not sure what rota Sittingbourne follow. So you will be working a lot of weekends. More than tippers.
Hope this helps.

I thought about coming to your place mate :wink:

But in all honesty, I am thoroughly bone idle and probably wouldn’t last long. A bit like Whistl… :grimacing:

dieseldog999:
tippers,then you can look in the mirror every morning and say…it could be worse,at least i have my self respect and am not working for aldi. ( you can substitute tesco,sainsburys,or any of the other brain dead plobber jobs around).

Brain dead plobber? Each to their own. I suppose. Just because it’s not to your taste don’t judge everyone else by your standards.

dieseldog999:

Mmm, not sure about having self-respect when you’re being run ragged day in day out as 95% of tipper drivers seem to be. At least that’s how it appears to me, why else are they in such a hurry?

well prob some are job and knock,or paid by the load,hence having the option to crack on as and when it suits them,apart from that then as to the previous post,
plobberjob…
same boring rdc type shifts day in and out,microlised to death in your over limited to 52mph or thereabouts fleet spec,paid from the neck down,merely a dot on the bookeepers pencil,the ability to use your own initiative to do your job properly removed,and at the beck and call of the whim of some pc spotty sweaty pointy shoe hair gelled numbskull of a planner with h&s ruling every second of your risk assessed shift.?
if you cant get yourself a driving job that entails a degree of skill or professionalism and the satisfaction of doing your job properly and being a steering wheel attendant is the only job you are capable of then fair and well.
if the hat fits? :confused:

Like I said. Don’t judge about what you think you know. Your assuming all plobber jobs as you call them are the same. Seeing as I’m a qualified plobber I can tell you that they’re not. I’m happy with my choice as I have done my share of crap jobs. I earn good money. I live 10mins from the depot. There’s plenty of time off. We are not pushed. Having a limited truck to 56mph is irrelevant as that’s a law I have no power over. We are paid by the hour so no rushing around with the job and knock mindset. We don’t have to worry about sleeping in ■■■■■■ laybys or MSA’s. Best of all we don’t have any pointy shoe planners.

The option to crack on must be open to them all day, every day then.

For sure, supermarket work is risk-assessed to death, same places, boring etc, but is it that much different on a building site with the orange-clad concertina operators, inductions, and the fact you could be loading and tipping in the exact same place for months on end?

Supatramp:

So you’ve never encountered a bulker from Campbell / Yuill and Dodds / WM Hamilton / Oakbank / TL Moffat / T French? None a those boys hang around.

truckertart:
Hi pbc453. I’m an Aldi driver at the Bolton depot. I can’t give you any advice about tippers but I can fill you in about some of the Aldi ways.
Our depot do not self load as a rule and we do 3 shops a day on a normal day. Occasionally when we have spare drivers they work in the warehouse and load all day if it’s quiet or may go out on an overspill run that you load yourself if it’s a busy day.
At stores there are electric trucks to unload with so no heavy pushing and pulling. Everything is palletised so no heavy cages. Every store you are told where the stuff goes if you don’t already know and you are left to get on with it.
Not all car parks are blindside reverses. Some are service yards. Yes sometimes the car parks test your patience and driving skills and invariably you do get the odd damage done. Stores that either have no time curfews or are impossible to get into during the day due to car parks are done at night.
Bolton depot is deemed to be very efficient the way our deliveries are planned etc. Other depots are looking at the way we work to maybe change from self load 2 stores a day to preloaded 3 stores a day.
Bolton depot day drivers will be on £14 hour imminently due to a pay rise. Nights over £16. Sittingbourne will be on more as it’s a southern depot.
We work 5 on 3 off. Not sure what rota Sittingbourne follow. So you will be working a lot of weekends. More than tippers.
Hope this helps.

Thanks truckerart.
Really good description of type of work involved. Sounds a decent job and wage :slight_smile:
I’d prefer nights anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

truckertart:
Like I said. Don’t judge about what you think you know. Your assuming all plobber jobs as you call them are the same. Seeing as I’m a qualified plobber I can tell you that they’re not. I’m happy with my choice as I have done my share of crap jobs. I earn good money. I live 10mins from the depot. There’s plenty of time off. We are not pushed. Having a limited truck to 56mph is irrelevant as that’s a law I have no power over. We are paid by the hour so no rushing around with the job and knock mindset. We don’t have to worry about sleeping in [zb] laybys or MSA’s. Best of all we don’t have any pointy shoe planners.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:laughing:

ideal job.jpg

dieseldog999:

truckertart:
Like I said. Don’t judge about what you think you know. Your assuming all plobber jobs as you call them are the same. Seeing as I’m a qualified plobber I can tell you that they’re not. I’m happy with my choice as I have done my share of crap jobs. I earn good money. I live 10mins from the depot. There’s plenty of time off. We are not pushed. Having a limited truck to 56mph is irrelevant as that’s a law I have no power over. We are paid by the hour so no rushing around with the job and knock mindset. We don’t have to worry about sleeping in [zb] laybys or MSA’s. Best of all we don’t have any pointy shoe planners.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[emoji38]

So what’s your job of choice? Enlighten me in the ways of the Irish ideal job.

dump-truck.jpg

Tipper driver showing his skill :blush:

Not all tipper firma force you to drive like an idiot, the company I work for do the very opposite…we get a job, do it, pull up safely and ring in for our next, never get questions about how long it took or when will we be finished our lunch break etc…
Get on with a good company, trust me there’s plenty of bad ones and it’s a good crack, no more than 10 hours a day, home at night, very few work weekends now so only 5 days a week. I wouldn’t do anything else.
Your choice of course…