What are ALDI like to work for?

Does anyone on here work for aldi as a class 1 driver?

Before everyone jumps down my throat i enjoy store delivery work and dont mind doing a bit of graft its about the only excercise i get and dont fancy being 20 stone.

My main concern is the salary on their site its advertised as 9.85 per hour but i spoke to a driver other day and he reckons hes earning 30k plus. Is there overtime rates or different weekend rates etc?

It can’t be as bad as Lidl.You do more walking than driving.

spoke to one of their drivers sometime ago and he says 12 to 15 hrs a day and self tip

I know its self tip which i dont mind. Have you seen most of the women that work in aldis? I think that they have to be attractive to be taken on!

^^and EE :laughing:

I drive out of Chelmsford for Aldi, they are looking for 20+ drivers over different shifts, job is self load & self tip, two runs a day one longish one short, although this is changing as they are now loading more trailers during the day so lately it’s been drop & swap for 2nd load. They are looking to reduce the hours the drivers do, not done much more than 11 hours for well over 3 months now & that included the xmas rush!! Averages 10/11 hours a shift, can be as low as 8 hrs some days.
Stores can be a pain with space for delivery & lots of blindside reverse onto bays, but trucks have rear & side windows, so not a problem, it’s an ok job. Nobody on your back all day your left to it, money is going up in January and the first year wage for newbies is being scrapped so everyone on same money from day 1, you will earn a minimum of 33k, probably a lot more, night guys are on nearly 40k, it’s a 5/3 rolling shift so you will work a good few weekends.
It’s a marmite job you’ll love or hate it, it’s not a normal driving job as bit of warehouse work too when at stores moving pallets around.
Best way into it at Chelmsford is via the agencies reliance or just drivers who are supplying the drivers for temp to perm…
Hope that helps■■? :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for your detailed response mate. The job sounds ideal for me im in manchester and noticed theyve got vacancies at the middleton depot. Im on store deliveries at another company and i enjoy the challenge and dont mind getting stuck into a bit of handball. Thanks again pal i shall be sending off my application tonight.

Good luck with your application, Aldi are growing big time 100 new stores planned for 2015, there blowing the others out of the water at the moment.

Driving and reversing in small car parks full of people in a class 1 is aldi work in a nutshell with the self loading / tipping. I could think of safer, better work )

In every job you do there will be positives,and negatives but in the small car parks for aldi it will do two things. (1) it will test your skills and (2) it will test your patience !!!

There might be easier safer work, but it beats the hell out of sitting vegetating on your arse in some Godforsaken Tosco RDC waiting room for hours on end praying for retirement or an early death, that must be the most boring soul destroying work known to man.

Job sounds fine to me, and what a pleasant surprise to learn that the tractors have NS and rear windows fitted, that means someone at Aldi with clout in vehicle specification has either been a lorry driver, or actually listens to those who do the job, well played whomever you are sir/ma’am.

Suppose its down to the individual, some people like to drive around the country and have nights out. For me aldi suits me down to the ground, yeah its self load and yeah its self tip, but thats the variation i wanted, and the 5 on 3 off also suits !!!

All the units at Chelmsford are Volvo new spec with N/s & rear windows, don’t know about other depots. Yes the small car parks with a full artic can be fun, but as you say it tests your skills another bonus is the totty at the stores!!

Iv asked befour but how does the lone worker policy on nights work? Some of the stores are in pritty dodegy areas and self-tip…

Governor!:
I drive out of Chelmsford for Aldi, they are looking for 20+ drivers over different shifts, job is self load & self tip, two runs a day one longish one short, although this is changing as they are now loading more trailers during the day so lately it’s been drop & swap for 2nd load. They are looking to reduce the hours the drivers do, not done much more than 11 hours for well over 3 months now & that included the xmas rush!! Averages 10/11 hours a shift, can be as low as 8 hrs some days.
Stores can be a pain with space for delivery & lots of blindside reverse onto bays, but trucks have rear & side windows, so not a problem, it’s an ok job. Nobody on your back all day your left to it, money is going up in January and the first year wage for newbies is being scrapped so everyone on same money from day 1, you will earn a minimum of 33k, probably a lot more, night guys are on nearly 40k, it’s a 5/3 rolling shift so you will work a good few weekends.
It’s a marmite job you’ll love or hate it, it’s not a normal driving job as bit of warehouse work too when at stores moving pallets around.
Best way into it at Chelmsford is via the agencies reliance or just drivers who are supplying the drivers for temp to perm…
Hope that helps■■? :slight_smile:

that sounds good,i assume it would be the same at Swindon depot

Best route into the Middleton depot (I assume this is the one your after) seems to be via agency. I have applied online & heard nowt despite advertised jobs, I never have any problems getting responses anywhere else :confused:

I was just wondering ?
When you get to a store & it’s busy, do they get you to jump on a till for a couple of hours, then shove a broom up your arse on the way out to sweep the the floor (just to keep staffing levels down)

I might give it a try when they close Middleton and relocate to west Houghton.

What’s the penalty for damaging the stock if you have not loaded it properly.
The door or another chance.

Which agency do they use pal do you know is it reliance for the middleton depot aswell?

Hi guys, sorry don’t know what it’s like at the other depots, I think you might have a few more stores on the runs because the distance isn’t as great as we do in Chelmsford, although just guessing on that one.
I’ve had a few pallets go over in the back of the trailer before now, last one was a pallet of pasta sauce jars, made a bit of a mess lol. You just get on with it, nothing’s said, you just make sure next time if it looks a bit wobbly then give it some extra shrink wrapping before you load it! You live n learn!!

I guess the way to get into the other depots is via agency, I don’t know who the agencies are for any other depot, other way is to ask a gatehouse they’ll tell you a name & contact.

As I said Aldi are expanding rapidly over the next year so it’s a great chance to get in, but remember it’s not all driving, but you can save on gym membership!! Everything is on euros or D’s which is half a euro, trailers can take 33 pallets when full, just a case of getting an electric truck at the stores and pull them off,where to put them sometimes is another issue!!!