What Truck

A Volvo best driving position for me decent bed would prefer the DAF bed mind bottom of my list would be a Scania hate them most uncomfortable things I have ever driven

patrokloscy:
FH16 750 the best truck in market

I wont have anything other than Volvo and have a FH16 700 on order, however, the only downside to the 750 is the engine is torque limited to 2500nm up to 6th gear due to the gearbox’s limitations over the engine power/torque output and personally cant justify the extra cost over no real gain. Volvos upcoming 780 and 800hp versions will offer no improvement unless they develope a new box. At the moment i dont think Volvo hold the best truck on the market moniker with its montrous power curtailed due to VT2814 gearbox limitations…

If I had to choose, it would have to a Euro 6 XF, preferably with a manual box and super space cab

I have mine already!
Pulls like a train flys like an aeroplan
Danne

yourhavingalarf:
The truck that…

Pays me £25ph for the first 8 and OT rates after that.

That’s the one for me too!

£25 ph + O/T I thought that was normal, + an extra £20 on top of the night out money for being over the channel

we all have our own favourites dont we !..but to be honest…i would drive anything other than a scania…i have driven most marques ( yes including the eaton twin split ) had some fun playing tunes on that, but my all time favourite…and still is today is the DAF… the older ones were oil guzzlers ( in my opinion ) but i did many miles in a DAF. They have come on leaps and bounds from the older models even though a 2600 was a great truck, so was the 2800…and today i would settle for a newer one…At present i drive an Man Tgx which is a great truck…but a newer daf is about to be bought ( either that or an Iveco )…so i look forward to the DAF.

Dirty Dan:
I have mine already!
Danne

FH 750?

AndrewG:

Dirty Dan:
I have mine already!
Danne

FH 750?

Yes it is,lovely truck cant think of any better. Rated for 250tone but full load takes me to 109tone. I have never liked them autogerbox but the ishift is briljant :smiley:

Danne

Makes me smile, ecm Eaton twin etc, ■■■■■■■■, as a new driver they were hard work. They polluted, ■■■■■■■■■■■ uncomfortable and a pain. Been driving for 45 years and trucks have evolved to the nice comfy ones today.why go backwards to inefficient engine oil burners. Same ■■■■ as those who decry sat have and say use map books. Get real ,it’s a tool and like modern motors if used properly can be an asset.those old trucks,engines,cabs etc are outdated obsolete and in many cases dreams of better truck driving. Get real we are moving on, wake up and smell the coffee. It’s 2017 not 1957.

DAF XF or Renault Premium.

I’d love to take out a Leyland Bison tipper for a day.

gezt:
Makes me smile, ecm Eaton twin etc, ■■■■■■■■, as a new driver they were hard work. They polluted, ■■■■■■■■■■■ uncomfortable and a pain. Been driving for 45 years and trucks have evolved to the nice comfy ones today.why go backwards to inefficient engine oil burners. Same [zb] as those who decry sat have and say use map books. Get real ,it’s a tool and like modern motors if used properly can be an asset.those old trucks,engines,cabs etc are outdated obsolete and in many cases dreams of better truck driving. Get real we are moving on, wake up and smell the coffee. It’s 2017 not 1957.

The wording was “what would you drive” not what you think I should drive…

Probably a DAF super space with a VOLVO 500 engine and I-shift gearbox, Volvo seats, Daf bed, MAN storage (but with better quality materials)
And the doors either Volvo or Scania.
I think there is on most truck something good and something not so good, if they put all the good points together,we could have a perfect truck

dave docwra:

gezt:
Makes me smile, ecm Eaton twin etc, ■■■■■■■■, as a new driver they were hard work. They polluted, ■■■■■■■■■■■ uncomfortable and a pain. Been driving for 45 years and trucks have evolved to the nice comfy ones today.why go backwards to inefficient engine oil burners. Same [zb] as those who decry sat have and say use map books. Get real ,it’s a tool and like modern motors if used properly can be an asset.those old trucks,engines,cabs etc are outdated obsolete and in many cases dreams of better truck driving. Get real we are moving on, wake up and smell the coffee. It’s 2017 not 1957.

The wording was “what would you drive” not what you think I should drive…

I’d say I nearly drive exactly what I wanted , an old lorry cheap to buy ,cheap to run ,easy to mend ,no add blue ,no auto box , no finance , and reliable .

caledoniandream:
Probably a DAF super space with a VOLVO 500 engine and I-shift gearbox, Volvo seats, Daf bed, MAN storage (but with better quality materials)
And the doors either Volvo or Scania.
I think there is on most truck something good and something not so good, if they put all the good points together,we could have a perfect truck

Youre onto a winner there. Id agree with the DAF Super Space cab. A 105 for me though, no condensation issues. Id even have the leather/fabric mix seats from that model too. DAF bed. Doors from the 106 (no quarter lights). Engine? Volvo, Scania, DAF, all have good offerings. Gearbox? DAF again: the 16 speed manual box, a gear for every situation. A genuine retarder too, not some alf-arsed exhaust brake. Once youve had one, any truck without is a disappointment. For my current work, a 4 wheeler is best. Big tank on one side (700 litre), tool box on other side for straps, odds n sods etc. Roof lights, bars, horns, low skirts etc? Nah, just summat else to knock off on low trees or rough tracks. Alloy wheels? Look pretty when clean. Ill sit on a stool and give them a rub in the evening summer sunshine while listening to the radio, but this time of year. . . . No thanks.