What are transport managers responsibilities

His responsibility lies with the operation of the transport office, running the vehicles in an efficient manner, to oversee the day to day operations, route planning, servicing, 6 weekly inspections, tacho downloads, infringements, and safe storage for tachos ( analogue ) and digi, drivers compliance, ie, making sure licences are up to date ( not banned from driving etc ) and should have in place records for maintenance and defects, to make sure the vehicles are in compliance for : Test, ( m.o.t. ) Tax, Insurance, and also for the trailers ( if any ) and to comply with the day to day running as per the conditions of the O licence requirements…National & International CPC licences also held.

greendalef:
The role of the transport manager is one of the few jobs covered by a statutory document. Even operators should/must/have to know this.

The link is here:

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … nagers.pdf

Now that’s a fun read!!!

Castillidie:

greendalef:
The role of the transport manager is one of the few jobs covered by a statutory document. Even operators should/must/have to know this.

The link is here:

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … nagers.pdf

Now that’s a fun read!!!

:smiley: It’s amazing how many people in transport have no idea it exists

Welshmale60:
Any information please as I’m working for a company where they keep no records of vehicle location no tachometer downloads no daily check picked up from tray in three months I’m confronting transport manager tommorow would like some bullets to fire at him think he knows it all

Thanks in advance

From the OP, it says nothing about the company, nothing about the operation, is it a one man band or a multi national operation?

Has the company got an external TM, are the vehicles on full R&M, Tyre Lease etc?

Someone must know where the vehicles have been and what they were doing. If the driver is being paid. I would ask why.

Conor:

hardyd44:
what is it with some drivers, if he decides to be crap at his job and doesn’t effect you - what’s the issue■■?

I am CPC National & International Holder, transport manager with a VOSA OCRS rating of 1 & 1 (the best you can get), idiots like him make me look good so crack on Mr TM :smiley:

But it does affect him. If the TM is that lax with the mandatory regulatory requirements you can bet your bottom dollar things like periodic safety inspections and vehicle maintenance isn’t happening either, especially if there’s no daily check sheets.

There’s a guy who used to be a tipper driver who was driving down a hill in Bath not so long ago who worked for a firm like that and look what happened to him. In court facing death by dangerous driving charge after he killed 4 people including a 4 year old girl.

I find your attitude absolutely disgusting and if that is how you think then maybe you are unfit to be a TM too.

I do all my checks daily record I have a book wich I log where i go every day I also log my hours for rest work etc. In all honesty all saftey aspects ok 6 weekly any problems unit straight int workshop my concerns are the clerical side the don’t keep logs,daily defect sheets are still in same place now as when I started 3 months ago I’ve asked several times about downloading did I Card lorry/Card and yes the head unit have got a caution sign no download when I raise the problem it’s just ignored however I’m finishing today not worth the hassle for £72 a day before stoppages thanks for the replies

Wheel Nut:

Welshmale60:
Any information please as I’m working for a company where they keep no records of vehicle location no tachometer downloads no daily check picked up from tray in three months I’m confronting transport manager tommorow would like some bullets to fire at him think he knows it all

Thanks in advance

From the OP, it says nothing about the company, nothing about the operation, is it a one man band or a multi national operation?

Has the company got an external TM, are the vehicles on full R&M, Tyre Lease etc?

Someone must know where the vehicles have been and what they were doing. If the driver is being paid. I would ask why.

One man band 1 owned unit hired trailer no clue in transport think knows it all

Looks like getting out is a wise move. No need to worry about the details of where the responsibilities are exactly, you can see it ain’t right, no one is listening to your concerns, so go.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I bet more than half of us don’t even know who is the nominated transport manager is at our respective firms

chester1:
I bet more than half of us don’t even know who is the nominated transport manager is at our respective firms

^^^^^^^^^
id bet 99 percent wouldnt know nor care…

dieseldog999:

chester1:

^^^^^^^^^
id bet 99 percent wouldnt know nor care…

99.9 recurring

Welshmale60:
I do all my checks daily record I have a book wich I log where i go every day I also log my hours for rest work etc. In all honesty all saftey aspects ok 6 weekly any problems unit straight int workshop my concerns are the clerical side the don’t keep logs,daily defect sheets are still in same place now as when I started 3 months ago I’ve asked several times about downloading did I Card lorry/Card and yes the head unit have got a caution sign no download when I raise the problem it’s just ignored however I’m finishing today not worth the hassle for £72 a day before stoppages thanks for the replies

If the trucks are being maintained properly and you are running legal with hours etc, then why as a driver are you worried about their administration or lack of it, I’d be more worried about the £72 per day?

chester1:

I know who the Transport Manager is where I work but then it is a family firm.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Welshmale60:

Is this some sort of windup or do people really work for that sort of money■■?

Even if I was driving a 7.5t on agency I’d be garanteed £99/day which is 9 hours at 11 quid an hour.

You’d be better off working for mcdonalds than working for this firm…

El Deano:

chester1:

I know of plenty of family firms where it’s wives or girlfriends that are the cpc holder or even an external cpc holder and will never meet the drivers

chester1:

El Deano:

chester1:

I know of plenty of family firms where it’s wives or girlfriends that are the cpc holder or even an external cpc holder and will never meet the drivers

This!

But I will ask, was this a genuine post from the OP? Under what motive