Well folks its started!

Check out this weeks job adverts in CM, RDL distribution (bulk tippers/tankers,block haulage,general haulage) from Worksop in Notts are looking for LGV drivers and also interestingly “Contract Hauliers” :exclamation: . I sent them an e-mail and recieved a prompt reply asking for my address as the “information pack” would be sent in the post. Now this sounds very like a “New Start” for RDL at the contract haulier game,WTD beginning to bite :question: and is this the start of alot of “company driver” outfits going actively looking for o/d’s :question:
Anybody know any “gen” about this company :question:

You can check here for company info

http://www.rdl-distribution.com/index1.asp

If you want to buy an 8 year old Foden, this is the place :stuck_out_tongue:

Please don’t make the mistake of thinking that being an owner driver, contracted haulier or whatever you want to call it will get you out of the WTD next year. If you work for primarily one customer then you will be covered by the WTD.

If you want to qualify for the deferment until 2009 then you will need to be able to show that you are truely independent by having loads of different customers - not many o/d’s are in such a position. Most of us are contracted or work as subbies for one or two customers.

Anyway, who wants to sit in a lorry for more than an average 48 hours a week? I’ve had enough with an average 42 :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Not true lard, the definition has been clarified and as an OD with only one customer you will still be exempt from the WTD provided there is no contract. The details are in the following quote

How are the self-employed defined?

The self-employed are defined as those: whose main occupation is to transport passengers or goods by road for hire or reward with the appropriate licences; who are entitled to work for themselves and who are not tied to an employer by an employment contract or by any other type of working hierarchical relationship; who are free to organise the relevant working activities; whose income depends directly on the profits made; and who have the freedom to, individually or through a cooperation between self-employed drivers, have commercial relations with several customers. For the purposes of this Directive, those drivers who do not satisfy these criteria are subject to the same obligations and benefit from the same rights as those provided by the current Directive for workers.

Note it says have the freedom to have commercial relationships with several customers, not that you must have several customers.

Going by the above I will be exempt because although i work primarily for one customer I have no contract with them and I am free to work for anyone I like on the days I don’t work for them.

RDL have been running an owner driver scheme for a few years, usually they advertise in the local area to the brickyard etc., you get a nice imformation pack which gives a lot of detail on how they can deduct so much percent for tax,tyres,maintenance,insurance,fuel etc but have great difficulty in telling you what rate they will pay for the job. Even at the interveiw they were vague on this subject saying you soon pick what you get paid as you go along. I personly decided to give it a miss. I must say this was 5-6 years ago and they may of changed now

Bob,
The info pack is still exactly the same!!!