W h cowburn & cowpar ltd. trafford park, manchester 17

Wheel Nut:
Unfortunately I think the tanker was owned by RTS and was carrying Oleum and crashed in December 1972,

The tanker was in fact a Leather Chemicals and it was carrying oleum and the lady who died was a nurse who stopped to help, it was this accident that brought about the Hazchem plates the Tremcard, the accident involving the RTS tanker was amazing in the fact the tanker did not leak in the accident, I think people are getting confused in their old age, I do myself sometimes.

kevmorrow:

Wheel Nut:
Unfortunately I think the tanker was owned by RTS and was carrying Oleum and crashed in December 1972,

Hi Wheelnut. I was working for an Irish hauliers 1972. If this is the same accident, the driver lost his license and worked in the warehouse at Allens Transport Westinghouse road. I remember RTS. .

The chap who was at Allens whos name is Billy Winters was also a leather Chemicals driver who had an accident where his tanker overturned on the M6 near Lancaster but no one was killed in this accident.

Frankie Flintstone:

Wheel Nut:

The tanker was in fact a Leather Chemicals and it was carrying oleum and the lady who died was a nurse who stopped to help, it was this accident that brought about the Hazchem plates the Tremcard.

I stole a bit of text from a previous thread.

The short version of the story is that a tanker carrying oleum (see below) was in collision with a scaffold truck.
As a result of the collision, the tanker jack-knifed and a scaffold pole caused a gash in the tanker allowing oleum to leak onto the carriageway.

An off-duty nurse (in a Morris 1,000) stopped to render assistance and was overcome by the fumes from the oleum, (which will render a person unconscious very quickly) she then fell forwards into the oleum and as a result, she died.

“Oleum” is a trade word for:

UN 1831 SULPHURIC ACID, FUMING, 8 (6.1), PGI

ADR says that oleum is highly corrosive AND toxic, AND reactive to water.

Wheel Nut:

Frankie Flintstone:

Wheel Nut:

The tanker was in fact a Leather Chemicals and it was carrying oleum and the lady who died was a nurse who stopped to help, it was this accident that brought about the Hazchem plates the Tremcard.

If you look at the picture of the RTS tanker the motorway is only two lanes, this accident was on the M5 not the M6, and if you want to know how I know I was part of the clean up team on the M6 1h 1972.

I stole a bit of text from a previous thread.

The short version of the story is that a tanker carrying oleum (see below) was in collision with a scaffold truck.
As a result of the collision, the tanker jack-knifed and a scaffold pole caused a gash in the tanker allowing oleum to leak onto the carriageway.

An off-duty nurse (in a Morris 1,000) stopped to render assistance and was overcome by the fumes from the oleum, (which will render a person unconscious very quickly) she then fell forwards into the oleum and as a result, she died.

“Oleum” is a trade word for:

UN 1831 SULPHURIC ACID, FUMING, 8 (6.1), PGI

ADR says that oleum is highly corrosive AND toxic, AND reactive to water.

Well well, that is what happens when you rely on information from Harwell Research Centre :stuck_out_tongue:

I worked for Cowburn and Cowper for a few months. They used to build their own tanks at Textalose Road Trafford Park. There were a few bad accidents. In the 1960s a Tanker rolled over on the M6 and a lady had got out of her car to help the driver. The tanker had ruptured and she perished. I had a Scammell with a gate change and without fail would miss a gear going over the ship canal on the M62, had to stop and start again in first gear. A few old drivers I remember were Billy Winters, Bill Grady, and Pete Reynolds Cyril? who I followed me to Smiths of Eccles, black oil and a contract at Pollard Street Manchester for Distillers CO2. Graham Richardson worked at Smith and Robinson late 1970 to 1980s; he also had a sports shop at Urmston selling mainly golfing gear.

Hi a kev.
You old beggar! The last time I had seen you was at the tank wash at Liverpool, was it Mcginties late 1970s. I started the same day as you at Brookes Old Trafford 1964. I remember Bill Grady lived at Addison Crescent Old Trafford and he got you the Job at Cowburn and Cowper’s. late 1960s we started at the Irish company Williames transport at Trafford park, We both broke down in Carrick on Shannon Ireland? Was it Guinness poisoning! I remember the tank spillage where the nurse was killed and it was Billy Winters the driver who later worked at Allen’s Transport Trafford Park. He gave up driving and was the warehouse foreman. Billy lived at Salford. Obvious he never was the same bloke after the accident. Cheers mate!

logbook:

I worked for Cowburn and Cowper for a few months. They used to build their own tanks at Textalose Road Trafford Park. There were a few bad accidents. In the 1960s a Tanker rolled over on the M6 and a lady had got out of her car to help the driver. The tanker had ruptured and she perished. I had a Scammell with a gate change and without fail would miss a gear going over the ship canal on the M62, had to stop and start again in first gear. A few old drivers I remember were Billy Winters, Bill Grady, and Pete Reynolds Cyril? who I followed me to Smiths of Eccles, black oil and a contract at Pollard Street Manchester for Distillers CO2. Graham Richardson worked at Smith and Robinson late 1970 to 1980s; he also had a sports shop at Urmston selling mainly golfing gear.

Hi a kev.
You old beggar! The last time I had seen you was at the tank wash at Liverpool, was it Mcginties late 1970s. I started the same day as you at Brookes Old Trafford 1964. I remember Bill Grady lived at Addison Crescent Old Trafford and he got you the Job at Cowburn and Cowper’s. late 1960s we started at the Irish company Williames transport at Trafford park, We both broke down in Carrick on Shannon Ireland? Was it Guinness poisoning! I remember the tank spillage where the nurse was killed and it was Billy Winters the driver who later worked at Allen’s Transport Trafford Park. He gave up driving and was the warehouse foreman. Billy lived at Salford. Obvious he never was the same bloke after the accident. Cheers mate!

Billy Winters was not the driver of the Oleum tanker, Billy was the driver who turned over near Lancaster loaded with Hydrochloric Acid a couple of months after the Oleum accident,