Flintshire Area Hauliers

I have now reposted this under the longer Flintshire Hauliers thread…

Cheers for you posting Cody.

Morgans of Mostyn had slipped my mind, I’ll add them to my list.

Re Webster of Flint Mountain, this is one I’ve been told about by an old driver, apparently they carried Insulation boards from Cape Universal in Pentre , return loads were mostly cement, does this sound like the Webster you are referring to?

Thanks for mentioning WH Cowburn & Cowpar, they were based in Trafford Park Manchester, I can well remember WHC&C’s Scammell artic chemical tankers delivering to Courtauld’s works in Flint and Greenfield when I was a kid in school in the '60’s, I think they also had some later Fodens too - but it was the Scammells I remember vividly with their maroon paintwork and white roofed cabs with “WHC&C” proudly proclaimed on the headboard and on a roundel on the cab door - as a kid, I used to think Trafford Park was some exotic far off location!

After an early drop-off at Courtaulds Greenfield Works, Cowburn drivers would sometimes call in at the Crosville (bus) Garage at Flint for a hearty breakfast for which the ladies in the depot were famous for!

There was another (unfortunate) connection concerning WHC&C and Crosville when a WHC&C Scammell skidded and collided with the rear of a Crosville 'decker on the 'Quay Hill outside the Swan pub and demolished the rear platform of the bus just a few seconds after the conductor went to collect a fare at the front of the bus from a passenger who had just boarded and doing so, the conductor avoided certain death. Lucky miss for that guy!

I have seen at least one Cowburn Scammell on the rally scene (although not for some time).

Cheers - RR