Alfred manchester & Sons

zippy155:
Trying to find out if anyone has any memories of this one, along with Alfred Simmons Ltd ? “Simmo” as it was know was based at Tunnel Avenue and was taken over by AM in 1973. Alfred Manchester was based in Anchor & Hope lane in Charlton and also in bay Wharf (Big pile of soil now by Blackwall tunnel northbound entrance but signs can still be seen of the old depot wall.

Alfred Manchester in And Hope & Hope Lane shared the old greyhound stadium car park with Ralph Hilton (aka HTS) when he was just down the road in Bugsbys way. (its now Makros and has been since 1973!)

Z

Trying to revive an old topic and memories of Alfred Manchesters, & Manchesters (New Eltham) ex drivers or relatives friends etc would be good to hear from you, share your experiences.

BUMP

Bump

Alfred%20Manchester%20Scammell.jpg

trucky1955:
Bump

Hi Trucky1955, Just browsing like u do, got this old Picci of one of Manchesters, used to see one of theres often think it was a Crusader? on the RIF out of Ipswich in the 70s, Cheers Chris CJA1.

Hi CJA1

Wow your not gonna believe this, that is our old converted recovery truck and I covered many a mile in that, it had the 680 Leyland engine with the Scammell six speed gate change box.
I spent time working in the workshop and on the road so drove most of the vehicles at some point and yes we had 2 Scammell Crusader’s one of which was mine for a few months WMV 832S picking up cooking oil in container tanks from Dover 1980 ish.

regards Chris

Newmercman

Have PM’d you

A Fine example of one of the Alfred Manchester fleet.

Bump

Not my photo but it belongs on this thread dont you lads think.
Alfred Manchester & Sons Leyland Octopus.jpg

Look what I have found! The original Scania owned by Alfred Manchester then changed to Rotahaul colours. The first Scania ADR truck in the UK!

File7611.jpg

Three more Alfred manchester / Rotahaul pictures that have come to light.

Alfred Manchester Scammell Crusader, pet regged/ADR on a Jolly so I am told to Salisbury for the Truck show. Year 1979/80 but I am guessing. Note Chrome bumpers and air filter cleaner etc, standard on all Tractors from 1979 also on the Scania 111 ADR (first one in UK, supplied by Scantruck Purfleet) which was in Alfred Manchester colours originally , then changed to Rotahaul after the demise of AM. :slight_smile: sad…
Also a picture of a Rotahaul sarl Leyland Road train left hand drive with Deltank on the back

Found these on John Wakely(truckpics405) excellent Flickr photo site.

AEC Mercurys.jpg

Leyland M reg 6 wheeler.jpg
Alfred Manchester  4 AECs.jpg

Graham Manchester contacted me yesterday to say that his father, Don Manchester passed away peacefully at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Woolwich.

The Alfred Manchester story continues with various relatives who fondly remember all three companies, Alfred Manchester & Sons Ltd,
Manchester (New Eltham) Ltd and of course Alfred Simmons Ltd.

For anyone who knew Don and know those who also knew him but not on this forum, Graham asked me to add this note.

Thank you.

Z155

trucky1955:

zippy155:
Trying to find out if anyone has any memories of this one, along with Alfred Simmons Ltd ? “Simmo” as it was know was based at Tunnel Avenue and was taken over by AM in 1973. Alfred Manchester was based in Anchor & Hope lane in Charlton and also in bay Wharf (Big pile of soil now by Blackwall tunnel northbound entrance but signs can still be seen of the old depot wall.

Alfred Manchester in And Hope & Hope Lane shared the old greyhound stadium car park with Ralph Hilton (aka HTS) when he was just down the road in Bugsbys way. (its now Makros and has been since 1973!)

Z

Trying to revive an old topic and memories of Alfred Manchesters, & Manchesters (New Eltham) ex drivers or relatives friends etc would be good to hear from you, share your experiences.

I was only a child at the time but I have some memories, dad worked for Graham Manchester at S.M.N.T for a period then for Don a little while after. At first he drove the french registered roadtrains, then a silver 142. I can remember Alf Stacey in the Rotahaul Scania, I think something untoward happened to him. …
Drivers my dad would have worked with, ones I can remember anyway… Geoff Guy, Ray Chilmaid, Ray Nicholls, Barry Dalley, and older dude called Eddie. There was also an owner operator who used the yard and did similar runs, Kenny Hogger drove a fancy red 142.

p.s
R.I.P Don. didn’t really speak to him but as kids my brother and I joked he looked like Count von Count from sesame street.

Smart looking Thames Trader.

gaztrucker:
Just found this site from searching internet for info on Manchesters as my dad and two of his brothers worked for them in the early/mid sixties. I,d love to know if you ever got your book done. I used to ride with my dad every chance I got as a youngster and well remember the depot at tunnel avenue as it was previously used by E H Jones Ltd another tanker firm where my dad and his dad both worked before E H Jones moved to Belvedere in Kent. Alfred Manchesters motors at that time were dark blue with the rising sun logo on the back although they also had motors that were in customers liveries. I,m sure my uncle drove one in Gulf colours. I had trips in many different trucks, a lot of Mk 5 AEC,s,Atki,s and well remember several brand new ones too! I can still recall my amazement at the comfort■■? of the Ford D series, that must have been about 1965 also the ergo cabbed AEC mercury in the same year and Scammel Routemans about 1967 if I recall, they were Dads favourite. I can also remember an old AEC Mustang twin steer and a Thames 15cwt service van. It shows how good these designs were on the old british lorries however much we berate them now,as I cut my own teeth on many of the same type of vehicles when I started driving some 14 years later.

Hi no book as far as I know, what were the names of your dad and uncles?

Alfred Manchester in Anchor Hope & Hope Lane shared the old greyhound stadium car park with Ralph Hilton (aka HTS) when he was just down the road in Bugsbys way. (its now Makros and has been since 1973!)

Z

My Dad worked for them, think he had an Albion Reiver, I might be getting confused with the sign on the back of the tank though, it was a sunrise a bit like the Albion badge, I’ll ask him, whatever it was he used to do a lot of liquid wax from Crayford with it.

The son had a 111 that was featured in TRUCK, it was called Wendover Rocketeer, which is a breed of dog evidently :open_mouth:

Hullo Zippy115,
Yes I remember seeing those Alfred Manchester lorries, Purple and Yellow tankers. I remember his son buying the first Leyland Roadtrain that I ever saw, and I believe then that the Son ( I completely forget his name now ) was the first person to start up the pager call system in Dover, so that when you were needed or cleared either DFG or DFS could call you. I never ever saw him after that.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:
I believe then that the Son ( I completely forget his name now ) was the first person to start up the pager call system in Dover, so that when you were needed or cleared either DFG or DFS could call you. I never ever saw him after that.
Cheers, Archie.

Probably not cleared yet. :wink: