VOR it?

The way I see it is this :

1. The driver fills out a defect sheet & hands it over.

2. If the driver isn’t aware of the guidelines, recommended industry practice or legal ramifications of what they have just done . . . Then they should NOT be in charge of an LGV on public highways.

Dork Lard:

2. If the driver isn’t aware of the guidelines, recommended industry practice or legal ramifications of what they have just done . . . Then they should NOT be in charge of an LGV on public highways.

A bit harsh mate :unamused: .
I don’t know the o/p but I’d like to bet the lad’s a relatively new driver.
By your criteria maybe I shouldn’t be on the road in a HGV either then, because I aint fully genned up to high standards on all the intricacies of all that type of crap either, …but I still always manage to get by quite well thanks.

We have a older trailer that always throws up abs faults whatever truck you connect it to. Something to do with incompatability so im assured by the fitters.

robroy:
By your criteria maybe I shouldn’t be on the road in a HGV either then, because I aint fully genned up to high standards on all the intricacies of all that type of crap either, …but I still always manage to get by quite well thanks.

I don’t think it’s harsh at all.

It’s the way I see it.

If you don’t know then you don’t know is all well & good, but where is the line drawn?

Who draws the line?

There are drivers currently serving prison sentances because they either didn’t know, or took the path of least resistance !

English law is based upon what a reasonable person thinks, which is why ignorance of the law is no defence.

Dork Lard:

robroy:

I don’t think it’s harsh at all.

It’s the way I see it.

If you don’t know then you don’t know is all well & good, but where is the line drawn?

Who draws the line?

There are drivers currently serving prison sentances because they either didn’t know, or took the path of least resistance !

English law is based upon what a reasonable person thinks, which is why ignorance of the law is no defence.

Ok, but a lot can be achieved by common sense rather than an expert knowledge of law, rules and regs.
9 times out of 10 if you get the feeling that something is a definite no-no, it usually is just that, so don’t do it and/or take the appropriate action.
It’s always worked for me in the past. :bulb:
Put it this way, I’ve got a clean licence and record anyway,.and have so for years now.

robroy:
Ok, but a lot can be achieved by common sense rather than an expert knowledge of law, rules and regs.
9 times out of 10 if you get the feeling that something is a definite no-no, it usually is just that, so don’t do it and/or take the appropriate action.
Put it this way, I’ve got a clean licence and record anyway,.and have so for years now.

I can give you real world scenarios, very closely related to the OP.

Please don’t bring your “common sense” into the argument because I have never come across a lesson or test for “common sense” before anyone is given the keys to an LGV.

Dork Lard:

Very harsh.

I have been in the business a long time, nearly all my working life, like my father before me.
I drove UK and International all through the 90’s
I have National and International CPCs.
I do not know everything, and cannot be expected too without checking.

How the hell is an inexperienced driver going to know everything?

The time was when experienced hands looked after new starters, you made your mistakes (and hopefully got away with them), and you gained experience. To just say to a newbie ‘you should know everything or you shouldn’t be in charge of a truck’, is not the most helpful thing.

If it only happens on certain trailers I crack on. BUT If I was like the OP who is talking about a rigid lorry then after a couple of days of nothing being done about it I would start telling then to give me another lorry and sort what could be a simple job out.

Note the date of this instruction to DVSA vehicle examiners.

Companies have been aware since 2011 of the proper procedure, but choose to ignore it because it is inconvenient. An amber warning light illuminated once travelling above walking pace should not leave the yard. On the road if it comes on report it. The company should then tell you to do what this says:

fta.co.uk/export/sites/fta/_ … bition.pdf

Dork Lard:

robroy:

I can give you real world scenarios, very closely related to the OP.

Please don’t bring your “common sense” into the argument because I have never come across a lesson or test for “common sense” before anyone is given the keys to an LGV.

Neither have I but I have come across good drivers who have common sense, and on the other hand absolute tools who call themselves drivers who have none, but profess to know all the rules.
So maybe there should be these lessons and tests you speak of eh?

robroy:

Dork Lard:

Bob on mate. Passed in October then started work in November. And my issue right now isn’t so much the “guidlines” but the pressures and politics as an agency driver trying to build experience, not step on any toes and pay the bills. I’m sure, dork lard, that after passing your test you didn’t drive until you knew the law inside and out?

I’m getting prepped for work now. Going to speak to them before I so much as ask for my run about another unit. What I don’t know about is what I will I do if they say no. The stand up thing to do will be to refuse to work.

_jamieb:

robroy:

Dork Lard:

Bob on mate. Passed in October then started work in November. And my issue right now isn’t so much the “guidlines” but the pressures and politics as an agency driver trying to build experience, not step on any toes and pay the bills. I’m sure, dork lard, that after passing your test you didn’t drive until you knew the law inside and out?

I’m getting prepped for work now. Going to speak to them before I so much as ask for my run about another unit. What I don’t know about is what I will I do if they say no. The stand up thing to do will be to refuse to work.

Right an idea, that maybe I would do in your position…but I aint a newbie.
Tell them your concerns that you fear this could go ■■■■ up if you have an accident, and that you do not want to take the motor out with the warning light on again off your own bat.
However if they are prepared to sign a declaration that you have informed them of the fault, by means of a defect note, ie…they sign a copy of said defect note, you will be prepared to take the truck out.

If they umm and ahh you know that they are worried, and are prepared to see you take the potential flak for it, and they are not…so tell them to ■■■■ off and walk.

If they sign it, carry it with you, and crack on.

Now I aint sure if this will stand up in a court of law if there is an epic balls up…so check first with someone who does.

I hate to mention that word that is looked on as dirty by most on here :unamused: …the ‘U’ word, but if drivers were still in Unions, all this type of crap would be protected against. :bulb:
Hope that helps bud.

Also worth informing the agency of your concerns, definitely if you’re going to refuse to take the vehicle out (get your side in first!), always a possibility that they will go over the head of whoever you’re dealing with and the higher ups might not be too happy to know that defective vehicles are being sent out on the road. Of course they might not give a toss either.

Darkside:

Dork Lard:

Very harsh.

How the hell is an inexperienced driver going to know everything?

The time was when experienced hands looked after new starters, you made your mistakes (and hopefully got away with them), and you gained experience. To just say to a newbie ‘you should know everything or you shouldn’t be in charge of a truck’, is not the most helpful thing.

Exactly. One of the ideas of this forum is for us more experienced drvers to help out and (try) to advise.
Basically telling them that “they should know” is at best unhelpful and at worst bloody ridiculous. :unamused:

I don’t remember exactly, but back when pre-ABS trailers were still about (complete with their ■■■■■■ awful ratchet handbrakes), if you hooked up to one with an ABS lead-equipped unit then obviously there was no means to connect the ABS lead. Did that throw up an ABS warning on the dash or not?

mrginge:
BUT If I was like the OP who is talking about a rigid lorry then after a couple of days of nothing being done about it I would start telling then to give me another lorry and sort what could be a simple job out.

I didn’t realise he was talking about a rigid until he revealed that he only has a C licence. Bit different in that case, I agree.

_jamieb:
As a few of you have noted making a song and dance of it can lead to dismissal (yay agency!).

Would you say it’s unfair to just say “it’s been reported numerous times and nothing been done. Give me another unit?” And if they refuse the I refuse work?

Like I’ve already said, you don’t hold the whip hand with a company when you are an agency driver. The company that you are driving for doesn’t have to go through the rigmarole of sacking you. All they need to do is spend about 20 seconds calling the agency and telling them that _jamieb is not welcome to drive their lorries any more. Likewise, if you refuse work, they’ll just tell you to go home and the agency will replace you. Make no mistake, if you refuse to drive it, then they will quickly find someone else who has no compunctions about doing so. An agency bod is, rightly or wrongly, the most easily expendable driver of all.

In many cases like this the reason for there being an agency driver allocated to the job is because company drivers have refused to use the vehicle any more.

have a look at the abs susie where it plugs into the A frame… they fill with water sometimes… it causes a false signal.,.or even try a different abs susie…

Or if there’s maintenance on site go speak to them. It woukdbt be unheard of for an office bod to fob a driver off but also not tell the fitters there’s an issue…

_jamieb:
DAF I’m regularly given for an agency gig has an amber “ABS truck warning” on the dash. At first it would go off after a few minutes, now it’s permently on. Write it down on vehicle defect sheet every night and mention it in the morning but they seem in no hurry to sort it. Doesn’t seem to effect the vehicle, but then maybe I’ve just not had to break hard enough to get the ABS working.

So, two questions:

1. Would you VOR it?

2. How do you handle TMs who insist it’s fine and tell you to drive it?

I don’t want to find out the hard way that “ABS truck warning” really means “ABS [zb]” — it’s my ■■■ and life on the line.

1. VOR is not your decision. Any faults or conditions likely to affect your vehicles roadworthiness need to be reported via a defect notice.

2. Ask them to confirm their decision in writing as per the VOSA defect reporting guidlines.

There are companies out there who pressure their drivers to take out vehicles which aren’t necessarily roadworthy. They know who they are & they know what they’re doing. You do not want to work for them. It is your licence & not theirs, if/when you lose that licence you cannot drive for them . . . & you cannot drive for anyone else, even the good ones.

Dork Lard:

_jamieb:
DAF I’m regularly given for an agency gig has an amber “ABS truck warning” on the dash. At first it would go off after a few minutes, now it’s permently on. Write it down on vehicle defect sheet every night and mention it in the morning but they seem in no hurry to sort it. Doesn’t seem to effect the vehicle, but then maybe I’ve just not had to break hard enough to get the ABS working.

So, two questions:

1. Would you VOR it?

2. How do you handle TMs who insist it’s fine and tell you to drive it?

I don’t want to find out the hard way that “ABS truck warning” really means “ABS [zb]” — it’s my ■■■ and life on the line.

1. VOR is not your decision. Any faults or conditions likely to affect your vehicles roadworthiness need to be reported via a defect notice.

2. Ask them to confirm their decision in writing as per the VOSA defect reporting guidlines.

There are companies out there who pressure their drivers to take out vehicles which aren’t necessarily roadworthy. They know who they are & they know what they’re doing. You do not want to work for them. It is your licence & not theirs, if/when you lose that licence you cannot drive for them . . . & you cannot drive for anyone else, even the good ones.

Of course its the drivers decision whether to report it. An amber light is only a warning and even if a red the brakes will still work just as well and the truck can still be driven. Its only the ABS which becomes non functional, it has absolutely no impact on the base mechanical components of the braking system. Some things need perspective before resorting to a panic…