Defects

The lorry I drive has seen better days . It has at least 3 faults keep showing up on the dash all amber I keep reporting it but the company just say its safe to drive woth these showing . What way do I stand if I was to be stopped by vosa ?

rjm87:
What way do I stand if I was to be stopped by vosa ?

Probably best with your trousers around your ankles !!! :open_mouth: :laughing: :question:

I don’t think they rely solely on warning lights but at the actual systems they have in their list to see if they’re actually faulty or relevant to road safety. Modern vehicles throw up various non standardised amber symbols, particular to a brand for all sorts of non safety related things too, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a road worthiness issue.

What are the lights? If it is things like EBS then it’s probably best sorted as that’s like a red rag to a bull for an easy moan/prohibition :laughing: but if it’s some vague thing then unless the vehicle systems are actually unroad worthy according to their standards they can’t say much.

An amber warning permits a certain amount of time for a repair to be done but it’s not open ended. ABS/EBS amber lights MUST be rectified. Balls required.

TiredAndEmotional:
An amber warning permits a certain amount of time for a repair to be done but it’s not open ended. ABS/EBS amber lights MUST be rectified. Balls required.

I didn’t think this was the way it works? i gather some lights and bite systems seem to be specified to work as a test in a certain way, such as EBS test lights, but overall many amber warning lights are not standardised, brand specific, colour, graphics up to the manufacturer of the product and meant for user information only.

I understood the regs talk about systems themselves being Road worthy not whether any old amber lights are there. There’s nothing to stop Mercedes showing an amber light when your seat heater packs up. A bit unlikely but you wouldn’t expect dvsa to get a shirt on just because it’s an amber :confused:

If something looks broken that they’re interested in fair play, but they must use judgement rather than go off the colour and symbol of something a manufacturer has come up with surely?

Freight Dog:

TiredAndEmotional:

I didn’t think this was the way it works? i gather some lights and bite systems seem to be specified to work as a test in a certain way, such as EBS test lights, but overall many amber warning lights are not standardised, brand specific, colour, graphics up to the manufacturer of the product and meant for user information only.

I understood the regs talk about systems themselves being Road worthy not whether any old amber lights are there. There’s nothing to stop Mercedes showing an amber light when your seat heater packs up. A bit unlikely but you wouldn’t expect dvsa to get a shirt on just because it’s an amber :confused:

If something looks broken that they’re interested in fair play, but they must use judgement rather than go off the colour and symbol of something a manufacturer has come up with surely?

If you take your vehicle for an MOT now any warning lights showing on the dash result in a fail. On non safety items that’s the operators concern. On a day to day operational basis then you only need to concern yourself with safety specific items. The common ones are abs/ebs and these MUST be rectified promptly.

rjm87:
The lorry I drive has seen better days . It has at least 3 faults keep showing up on the dash all amber I keep reporting it but the company just say its safe to drive woth these showing . What way do I stand if I was to be stopped by vosa ?

Which lights are showing? By the way you can speak to your local dvsa office who will keep you right on these matters without asking for your name or employer. Did you see the news recently regarding the operator and mechanic who went to jail for several years after crap maintenance resulted in the deaths of 4 people?

Freight Dog:

TiredAndEmotional:

^
This
All manufacturers are different and colour/ meaning will vary from one to another, it doesnt mean just because theres a light showing its not safe to drive. Even if theres an ABS light showing (yes it does need to be looked at) but it doesnt mean the brakes wont work, only the anti locking aspect…

Well the OP hasn’t actually stated which lights are coming on as yet. It would clarify matters if he did. I offered my opinion whilst erring on the side of caution.