Volvo.F89

Regarding RHD F89s, this Australian article says that RHD G89s were built in Oz. I assume they were factory jobs, as Volvo had an assembly plant there. I wonder whether the engine installation problems were alleviated by the cab being mounted further back on the “G” version?

hunteroldtrucks.com/Volvo%20truc … M%20SK.pdf

The “G” cab was in exactly the same position as the “F” cab. It was the axle that was moved further forward. By how much I couldn’t tell you, but I am sure someone could!

The 12 litre engine was taller than the 10litre (hence the need for the lean) and the gear change was the issue in right hand drive form. The Aussies obviously got around the gearchange issue. We need an Aussie contributor (or even a Volvo design drawing) to clarify the situation.

Here´s a small contribution from Sweden for a start. I´ll try to get in touch with some Volvo people here in Gothenburg later. I have some contacts with some of the old veterans from that time working there, so I´ll ask them the next time I see anyone them.

/Stellan

gazzer:
The “G” cab was in exactly the same position as the “F” cab. It was the axle that was moved further forward. By how much I couldn’t tell you, but I am sure someone could!

The 12 litre engine was taller than the 10litre (hence the need for the lean) and the gear change was the issue in right hand drive form. The Aussies obviously got around the gearchange issue. We need an Aussie contributor (or even a Volvo design drawing) to clarify the situation.

Hi Gazzer. I was thinking that, if the engine was in the same (or similar) position relative to the axle- ie the axle and engine (possibly by a different distance) was moved forward on the “G”- there may have been more room under the gearstick hole, to get a linkage in. I admit that this is an unlikely explanation and is probably blx!

I have basic chassis drawings of the F89 and G88, but no F88 or G89 for comparison, so we’re still guessing. My flatbed scanner is out of action, so here are some lousy photographs anyway:

Only the axle was moved forward by the 300mm. Nothing else was altered to the position of the cab or drivetrain.

This vehicle was mostly transporting insulation for houses, and therefore they built the drawbar as low as possible… and using a two axle lorry. Not the funniest vehicle to drive in the winter, but it´s always the money that counts :frowning:

Sorry for the bad quality of the photo, but it was taken with an old camera… and a low budget film

/Stellan

gazzer:
Only the axle was moved forward by the 300mm. Nothing else was altered to the position of the cab or drivetrain.

In that case, it would be interesting to see what the Aussies did to get the gear linkage to work on their RHD 89’s.

Maybe this thread could be named Volvo F89/G89. If so, I can contribute with a TIR-photo from May 1977 :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

/Stellan

LB76:

Top Drawer picture there LB76

Cheers mate, i am rather proud of that one,one of the few of the many i took that worked out well - with a bit of guidance from a professional i may add!

re the RHD F89’s in oz gear linkage —

bear in mind that everything here in Oz at that time was fitted with a Fuller road ranger gearbox - might have made all the
difference■■?

Also, re the 240 F88 grill and wipers talked about earlier -there was a brief period where they came with a stainless grill and bottom mounted wipers. the interior included a grey painted dash, and red upholstered seats / bunk. My Dad bought one in October 1972 from Griffin Mill Garages at Tram Inn, Hereford. Reg was BCJ 789 L (i think) -love to know if it was still out there somewhere.

No doubt about the F89 …330 hp great machine and in the late 70,s hard to beat
F89,s here you are then feast your eyes

This is what you would see by day.

And what you would see by night coming past you!

Big brother overtaking little brother.

kmills:
re the RHD F89’s in oz gear linkage —

bear in mind that everything here in Oz at that time was fitted with a Fuller road ranger gearbox - might have made all the
difference■■?

This is not 100% true,some Roadrangers would have been fitted,but most probably after the Volvo box had given up. They would have been fitted with SR61’s,Volvo’s 16 speed box.

Here’s some pics of a R/H drive Aussie spec G89,showing the gear stick linkage and throttle linkages

Here’s a pic of a L/H drive UK spec F89 motor and gearbox,showing the air filter.

f89 motor.PNG

And here’s a better view of the rear of the cab on the G89.

Now notice the position of the air cleaner housing on the G89,it’s above the air tanks under the L/H side of the cab. With axle being set forward there is now space to mount it there. The air stack has also been moved to the L/H side as per a G88 or F88. Because the air filter has been moved from the R/H side of the motor as it is on the F89 there is space to sneek the gear stick linkage down the side of the engine.

I believe that after looking over a G89 and pictures of a F89 that that’s all it took to make the G89 R/H drive. The motor is still on a lean to the right the same as an F89. This seams to be a very simple modification,I realize that the air cleaner would have to be remote mounted on a F89 behind the cab,as it couldn’t be fitted under the cab,but this is no biggie.

It amazes me that Volvo Sweden didn’t carry out this modification to the F89,the Aussies fingered it out no worries.

My thoughts on this are.

The Aussies only got the 240 horse G88 and the 330 house G89,which were both assembled in Queensland. They didn’t get the 290 horse engine option as fitted to the UK spec F88. Although I believe 50 290 F88’s were imported into Australia,but these are a bit of a mystery. They needed to convert theirs in to R/H drive,they wouldn’t have sold any if they didn’t

I reckon that Volvo Sweden had developed the R/H drive 290 horse F88 and could sell these in the UK as an option instead of the F89. Most operators would choose the R/H drive F88 over a left ■■■■■■ F89. Volvo would have sold plenty of F89’s in mainland Europe,so there was no need for them to convert the F89 into R/H drive.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers Jamie

Good answer Jamie. Well done for getting the photos too.

A simple mod. for Volvo Oz. The air stack looks very 290 ish to me and was probably cobbled together from a mix of Volvo parts.

Your gearbox comments are probably spot on too. “Snowman” had an F89 with an overdrive (9509A?)Fuller 'box and “it flew” according to him. An easy swop to make. Because it was light weight 'box, no rear gearbox supports were necessary. I had an F12 Intercooler with a dying SR70 'box (as they did), fitting a Fuller was an option and would have cost less than £1500 to convert INCLUDING the gearbox! It was going to be £1000 to rebuild the SR70. I stuck with the Volvo parts.

Bit early on a Sunday mornig for all this engineering stuff Gazzer, cant you here the church bells ringing mate, hurry or you’ll be late for choir practice.

Hi Buzzzer I didn’t know Gazzer was a choir boy , :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

R Jim