volvo f88

EMR in the dry preserved

newmercman:
Here’s a shot of the old man with his 290, it was taken in a dynamite plant in Scotland.

Alfred Nobels in Stevenson?
Tipped there à few times.
Steve.

Volvo 290,October 1974.

Click on twice to read.

A couple of photo’s LHD F88’s that Christian Salvesen operated out of Antwerp in the mid 70’s. There were 4 of these units based there pulling Heiwo fridge trailers.

Australian G89 (NMP)

287.JPG

Yesterday I delivered one of three new volvo’s to Matthew Kibble’s in Nelson. In the yard there was an F88 on a G reg in lovely condition.
I mentioned to the other lads that I used to drive one in the 70’s, on international work the violins came out and I had the urine taken out of me all the rest of the day, but I remember when they where the dogs danglers, but stood next to a FH 12 it looked so small. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Is this the one you mean rocky 7

Hi all, in my eyes Rocky the F88/89 were the best Volvos ever built !! And when driving one you were King of the road! :laughing:
Regards Jimski

started working on Volvo’s in 1976,yes they was the best,no ecu,s reloads of software,etc.still working on them now :wink: Keith

keith 2:
started working on Volvo’s in 1976,yes they was the best,no ecu,s reloads of software,etc.still working on them now :wink: Keith

Keith were you at “Crossroads” as our paths may have crossed when I worked for “Sykes Bulk Liquids” /Shaws of Huddersfield as the F88 I had was some sort of test wagon for the F10/12 and had to go in for Volvo to have good butchers at it every 6 months or so but when they took over Hallam commercials in Sheffield I used that then as they had it friday afternoon to monday dinner.
cheers Johnnie

Stanfield:
Is this the one you mean rocky 70

Yep! thats the one, aint it a lovely motor? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

another f88

Jimski:
Hi all, in my eyes Rocky the F88/89 were the best Volvos ever built !! And when driving one you were King of the road! :laughing:
Regards Jimski

Spot on Jimski… I think a lot of us were looking through the same eyes!!

F88-290, volvo perfection for me.
But why didn’t they put the 290 in the 1st F10s, instead of the 260s & 278s.
Always puzzled me why the new F10s were lower bhp than the model they replaced.
Still great motors tho’…

gunnerheskey:
Still great motors tho’…

I believe it was because the 290 could be heavy on fuel if it was driven hard but I was mostly on hazardous chemicals and it was not a good idea hammer them, so they were pretty good around 7 to 8 mpg but around 5 when punished where as the first F10s were more 7 to 8 mpg being derated.

sammyopisite:

gunnerheskey:
Still great motors tho’…

I believe it was because the 290 could be heavy on fuel if it was driven hard but I was mostly on hazardous chemicals and it was not a good idea hammer them, so they were pretty good around 7 to 8 mpg but around 5 when punished where as the first F10s were more 7 to 8 mpg being derated.

Cheers for that sammyopisite, just can’t help thinking what a good motor the F10s would’ve been with the 290 under it.
It wasn’t til A reg about 83, when they put the 299bhp in the new mk2 F10s,

Gunnerheskey they did bring two engines out for the F12 one was about 304 bhp as a mate of mine had one on Demulders at Doncaster he was an owner driver and he had run a 240 88 before. I am not sure what the bigger engine was but 350 seems to ring a bell.
cheers Johnnie

hi gunner,
how are you mate :question: i thought :question: the early f10’s were 299 hp.it wouldn’t be the first time i have been wrong though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
regards andrew.

pete 359:
hi gunner,
how are you mate :question: i thought :question: the early f10’s were 299 hp.it wouldn’t be the first time i have been wrong though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
regards andrew.

Your correct Andrew,the first F10’s did use the 299bhp engine,we ran some mate! cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

pete 359:
hi gunner,
regards andrew.

Your correct Andrew,the first F10’s did use the 299bhp engine,we ran some mate! cheers Dennis.

Hi Andrew i’m good thanx, i’m sure the early F10s were 260s & 278s, then the mk2s from A reg onwards were 299s.
Where’s Patrick Dyer when you need him, that should be his next book :laughing: