Volvo F88/F89

Reviving an old thread again, this thread started off about how to identify the different models, as well as the grill and air stack no one has mentioned the sweep of the windscreen wipers, the right hand drive F88 240 and 290 swept from the right and the left hand drive F89 330 swept from the left.

My old F88 with an F89 on our way to Doha in 1977. I was told back then that the early chrome grilled F88 was 230 bhp and was upgraded to 240 bhp with the black plastic grill.
Steve

Not many day cabs about

3300John:
Hiya…ive just nicked this photo of the Bill Clowes web site, I shared a N reg (240) like this one in 74/75.

John

Strange one - on a V plate??

Looks very familiar :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing:

Lance Biscomb:

Flying machine back from the Air Road Run…F10 had it’s tongue out by time we got to Preston :open_mouth: :smiley:

steelboyf10:

Lance Biscomb:

Flying machine back from the Air Road Run…F10 had it’s tongue out by time we got to Preston :open_mouth: :smiley:

Ayr…bloody spell check :grimacing:

F88 accessories brochure

All those pictures are of the later F88 / F89 as the wipers are in the normal place and not the top of the screen. There were several subtle changes made which are not noticable at first glance.

Transverse front indicators, single chrome grab handle next to radiator cap. chrome grab handles near doors, single opening air flap, slowly changed to:

Vertical indicators, twin plastic grab handles, black plastic door grab handles, twin flaps, brown interior.

The German Horsepower per Tonne rating was never enforced, only a proposal but all the foreign manufacturers were ready for it. Ford, Mercedes 1732. MAN 320. DAF 330 Volvo F89, Scania V8. They were already running at 40 tonne and we had just nicely raised our weights to 32 ton.

Austrian LF 88 drawbar with trailer

One we used to run all over Europe in the 90’s, Buzzer

We had a great fleet of F 89’s all 6x4 and Middle East spec with SARAMAT in Jeddah I think they were 300 hp a very capable truck no doubt

A 1974 F89 I ran way back when, Buzzer

168400666_3953716211385405_166195754080343347_n.jpg

Edwin Shirley’s F89’s.

volvo f88.jpg

Thought it was the SARAMAT wrecker for a moment
Nothing a new cab wouldn’t sort

E96CFD34-872C-4A31-AA13-264118EA4AF2.jpeg

Wrong Wheel rims …other than that it could have been ■■?

Same as the MANs, can anyone list the obvious differences between these two Volvo tractors? Looking at old photos, I’m not sure which is which as the badging isn’t always visible.

Lonewolf Yorks:
Same as the MANs, can anyone list the obvious differences between these two Volvo tractors? Looking at old photos, I’m not sure which is which as the badging isn’t always visible.

The basic difference was that the F89 was only ever available in left hand drive.

Ross.

And I believe the air intake up the back of the cab was different,one was on the left and the other on the right,but can’t remember which.

The F89 had a 12 litre engine which morphed into the F12, the F88 had the 9.6 litre engine which morphed into the F10/FL10.

This has been on here before