Varifocal Lenses

Evening as above do you use them ? if so how do you get on with them the optician says they have a slight soft focus at the sides does it make it an issue with looking in mirrors ect ?

You do get used with them and they are far more convenient than a pair for this and a pair for that.
Personally the only problem I have is when overtaking another truck at night, and IF they bother their arse to flash I sometimes miss it, (don’t ask me why) but no probs as I NEVER cut in too soon on another truck when overtaking as I know how much it ■■■■■■ me.
As for anything else (apart from the wife saying I look like Harry Hill with them :laughing: ) no probs.

As Above. Took me a few days to get used to them. A good friend of mine had varifocals for a couple of weeks, and found she couldn`t adjust to them at all, so took them back for a refund. She does seem to be the exception though. I know another few drivers who use them, with no long lasting worries. You may have to move your head up/down or left/right instead of swivelling your eyes, but this will soon become automatic rather than conscious.

My next job is to get a set of tinted varis for sunglasses.
(Jeez, just occured to me how ■■■■ old do I sound here :unamused: :smiley: )
So tone down the ice cool image (but very very slightly :smiley: ) and dump the Raybans, bring on the designer varis :sunglasses: . :smiley:

Got used to them now when driving, so when the shades are on in the sun there is a slight blurr, which is never a good thing when driving 44 tonnes. :laughing:

I wore ordinary glasses for years, then bifocals and changed to varifocals twenty years ago, no problems at all. Compared with bifocals or two different glasses they are really so much better. (but having said that, my wife took a lot longer to get used to them than I did).
They are quite a bit more expensive, but I think they are worth it for the convenience.

Varifocals? What’s to get used with them, great things wouldn’t now have anything else. They need to be set accordingly though, adjusted to your face.

Same as the lads above. Take about a day to get used to, but after that no problems. Mine are sunglasses aswell. A right old ■■■■ I am.

Been wearing them for years and find them ideal for driving and general working. Not so good for walking though, I need to be really careful on steps and uneven surfaces by looking down at my feet, as if I look ahead they’re not quite where I thought they were. I’ve got injured fingers to prove it after tripping on a step a few weeks back! I find they’re tiring for reading, OK for a quick scan but I still have readers for longer jobs. But — my wife has recently changed to varifocals and doesn’t like them, so it’s obviously a personal thing.
Bernard

Only trouble I had was at start of using varifocals,a few years ago would have had like a blind spot to each side of each eye, very noticeable when in a middle lane went back to optician had a yarn with her,got my glasses took back 1 grade on strength, problem solved immediately, will probably have to go back to stronger grade at some stage as peepers deteriorate

When I first started to need glasses for reading 10+ years ago I just had a pair of readers and popped them on when needed. I then went straight to varifocals a couple of years later as it was a PITA to keep putting them back on every time I needed to read a label etc. There is some barrel distortion at the transition from distance to close-up sections of the lens, but I soon got totally used to it and my brain seems to compensate for it automatically. Only mistake I made was to buy photochromic “reactolite” lenses as I thought they would be useful when driving in bright sunshine. I didn’t know that they don’t work when driving as the windscreen blocks almost all the UV light…

So two years ago when my prescription had changed a bit I got a pair of varifocal polarised sunglasses made at the same time. F-word expensive but still worth it.

The only issue I have now is reading the overhead display on the tachograph…

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Roymondo:

I’ve got a pair of polarized sunglasses and first time I looked up at the tacho with them on I thought someone had smashed the screen on it. They make LCD screens look damaged for some reason. [emoji54]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:

Roymondo:

I’ve got a pair of polarized sunglasses and first time I looked up at the tacho with them on I thought someone had smashed the screen on it. They make LCD screens look damaged for some reason. [emoji54]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know what’s worse, that I know the reason for it, or that I nearly told you!

robroy:
My next job is to get a set of tinted varis for sunglasses.
(Jeez, just occured to me how [zb] old do I sound here :unamused: :smiley: )
So tone down the ice cool image (but very very slightly :smiley: ) and dump the Raybans, bring on the designer varis :sunglasses: . :smiley:

Got used to them now when driving, so when the shades are on in the sun there is a slight blurr, which is never a good thing when driving 44 tonnes. :laughing:

Best move I’ve made for a lot of years was getting the sunglasses with varifocal lenses on too.

Been using varifocals for about 10 years, had no problems with them, then I did a free trial with contact lenses and found these to be far better when driving, no blind spots at the side, I can see all the dials and gauges, I just use a pair of pound shop reading glasses for close up work, :smiley:

I’ve always considered contacts, but I don’t think I could manage with them.
Daft question alert :blush: …Can you sleep in them or not?

robroy:
ICan you sleep in them or not?

My g/f keeps hers in for weeks at a time, dunno if that’s 'cos she buys expensive ones or not, but it seems that paying for quality in this case makes sense.

I had a go with Varifocals which were on special offer, so I popped into the opticians to try out both them, separate glasses, and bi-focals.
My eyesight had been blurring for a few days by that point, and I hurried up with the appointment once I’d dragged a trailer across a low brick wall whilst on an agency job. :blush:
I dropped the next shift because I couldn’t see straight, and that client never wanted me to work there again, understandably :blush: :unamused:

At the opticians, I went through the full eye test, including the puff one for glaucoma and informed them that my eyesight had weakened more in one eye than the other etc. They tried me out on separate lenses, varifocal lenses and bi focals. On Varifocals however, I found the soft focus around the edge was straining my eyes straight away. I then tried bi-focals, and the set they gave me allowed me to drive, reverse, and read without changing glasses for the first time ever.
This was actually what I was looking for Varifocals to do though! No problem though - I bought the set for just over a tonner, and got something like £87 off because I was on tax credits at the time. :sunglasses:

I got told that some people get on better with one system (varifocals) and others get on better with Bi-Focals (“split-screen” if you like) I’m one of the latter of course, and now wear them for “outdoor” activities all the time.
I still use my old reading glasses for sitting in front of the pootah for hours on end, and I’m wearing those now.

The old “outdoor only” pair I had from my previous eye test - I was told to throw them away, because they were incorrectly prescribed by the then-junior trainee who had since been got rid of by the firm. :unamused:

Here’s a one.
My eyes are nearly due a test, and I reckon I’ll need glasses changed.
I used to go to Asda opticians who were fairly reasonable.
I got my first Varis at Specsavers, told they would be cheaper. Ok looked cheaper on paper, but with all the extras, anti scratch coating etc, it turned out more expensive than if I had gone to Asda.
So where do you guys reckon do the best offers.

Been wearing specs for donkeys. About a couple of years ago I found that I needed someting for reading too. ■■■■.
Suggested Vari and my Opthamologist totally refused!

Having said all that have found that I manage admirably, thank you, on my ‘normal’ specs (plus the obligatory Ray Bans) … with another pair for reading.

At least I can still read the tacho without major struggle!

:smiley: :smiley:

Win-Stone:
Been wearing specs for donkeys.

:open_mouth: Do they fit you ok? :smiley: