Sunglasses for driving

What’s your opinion on sunglasses and
do you where them while driving :question: . I wear
glasses for driving and find sunglasses
a little dark for checking speed so feel safer
driving with my glasses on and sun visor down.

I wear them if i have to,when i have been in the sun for so long it starts to make my eyes feel gritty,so then i have to wear them.

I don’t wear them to look cool though!!

i very rarely wear them but i have 2 pairs (strange for someone that doesn’t normally wear them i know).
one pair are very slightly tinted which is the ones i usually reach for but i also have another pair that are a lot darker which i wear now and again if i think the sun is too bright even with the first pair on.
(i thought about wearing both together but it’s never been that bad yet and i am still waiting for the eyes in the back of my head to develop). :smiling_imp:

I tend to wear them if the sun is very bright and they’re handy when you get that horrible low sun in the morning/evening. Pain having to swap back to my normal glasses though.

Anyone tried the lastest reactive ones? They used to be way too slow to react, what are they like now though?

dennisw1:
Anyone tried the lastest reactive ones? They used to be way too slow to react, what are they like now though?

I wear prescription reactive glasses. The latest ones are much better than the old ones!!

dennisw1:
I tend to wear them if the sun is very bright and they’re handy when you get that horrible low sun in the morning/evening. Pain having to swap back to my normal glasses though.

I only have to wear glasses for driving, but as soon as the sun comes out I have to put sunglasses on or I get a headache, I have a pair of reactalite and they are pretty good, not as dark as a normal pair of sunglasses but good enough. They dont go from tinted to clear that quick but clear to tinted is quick enough for me.

dennisw1:

I wear prescription glasses (varifocal). I used to wear the reactolite version for sailing, because it’s a pain having to swap them around when you are trying to read navigational maps. But since driving, I found that the reactolite does not work efficiently enough because of the tint in the windscreen. So I now have one pair as prescription sunglasses which are very handy when as you say sun is low down first thing in the morning or behind you and coming in from both wing mirrors. As you say a bit of a pain changing them.

How much do these reactive glasses cost :question:

I wear prescription polarised lens sunglasses as used by fishing and sailing types (I avoided saying those into watersports to avoid any confusion :wink: :wink: )

They are marvelous at glare reduction all year round especially winter when the low sun reflects off a wet road straight in your face. No eyestrain whatsoever - all nice and relaxed.

I got them off the web (Optilabs I think the firm was called). Just sent them my prescription and they came within the week.

My wife wears contact lenses so she was chuffed to bits when she tried her new Lidl Polarising shades (£2.99 a pair!). Her prescription is far stronger than mine making her sunglasses very heavy.

For cheap (price but not quality) I can recommend the following link. Look at their prices??!!

http://glassesdirect.co.uk/release_000/index.htm

marcustandy:
For cheap (price but not quality) I can recommend the following link. Look at their prices??!!

http://glassesdirect.co.uk/release_000/index.htm

Cheer’s marcustandy those prices are very good :smiley:

coming in from both wing mirrors.

God that’s just bloody horrible! Especially if you have a long straight road with no bends in it!

What i was thinking about the reactive ones is say you drive into a tunnel, can you still see where you are going?

I also use polarising sunglasses; in addition to the obvious reduction in overall light, they significantly reduce glare off damp/wet roads, plus they allow you to see through car windscreens, so you get a much better idea of what the driver is about to do next.

I don’t find reactive lenses any use while driving - the colour tint reacts to the UV component of sunlight, not the visible, and since car/truck windows will filter out most of the UV, the lenses don’t react to the light. IMHO, reactive lenses are a waste of money if you want them for driving.

Of course, polarising lenses can prevent you from reading LCD displays, depending on the angle of polarisation of the display.

I have a pair of prescription sunglasses, its a pain having to cart two pairs around but I do find wearing them more restful on the eyes on really bright days.

As Lard, I have polarised prescription sunglasses which are a boon when it is sunny and the road is wet, cuts out all the glare. Excellent :smiley:

I dont use anything,I should really but I always ended up squinting and forgetting that I had them.
They looked crap also,so I did’nt want to look a complete arse while wearing them(more fool me)
When I go back trucking,(the sooner the better)I shall take my crash helmet and tinted visor,as I was a regular at hitting things last time round and it will cover my face up so I can avoid embaressment,whilst protecting my eyes at the same time
:blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i wear a normal pair for drivng cos sometimes if its too bright i get a headache so i put my sunnies on.

i suppose some people wear them to look cool :sunglasses: but like i say only when its 2 bright.

what makes me laugh is those [zb]s who wear sun glasses on top of their heads :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: even in doors :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m still here.L. :wink:

I wear reactive perscription glasses and find them very good. Wear them all the year around find them good for the low autumn/winter sun. As a motorcyclist they are brilliant, no sun visors on a motorbike. But they are not perfect as i found out in France last month. Ride into a unlit tunnel on a bright sunny day and you can see NOTHING! which is quite scary. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Travelling south on a bright winter morning is when you really need them. Time was a few years ago when you couldn’t buy them in the winter in England, I remember my frustration trying to explain that in a chemist’s one day.
Now, because I have to wear glasses for driving I have some good varifocals, but my polaroid sunglasses are always on hand if it gets too bright.

Mind you, a quick plug for the Magnum, you can cut out almost all of low direct sun with that excellent electric front blind.

Salut, David.

All the time, even when there is a lot of bright white cloud in the sky, as it just makes my eyes ache.I hate going into a yard where there is a vast amount of concrete. When its sunny, the glare bouncing off it is really bad. :cry:
I have corrective lazer surgery about 10 years ago, so now I dont need to wear glasses or contacts, but at the time I was having it done, the surgeon said that I had very sensitive eyes, so that is probably what it is.
T.■■