united carriers

kevchalluk:

Wheel Nut:
Say Hello to Kenny for me :stuck_out_tongue: He maybe wont remember me because he never stopped running round York with Micky Robinson as his ■■■■■. I ended up with Roys lad as my ■■■■■ on Hull 1. I also taught young Andy the ropes, he was related to Kev Archer.

I am trying to remember Jocks son in laws name, (maybe Pete) but seem to think he worked for Brian Leighton Garages at the time.

what’s your real name Wheel Nut and when were you at Carriers? Yeah, I still see Micky Rob around Howden from time to time. I think it was Trev Appleyard on York 2 as my dad’s oppo, but I don’t think they got along! :laughing: I’ve got some great memories of dashing round York like a blue-arsed fly with my dad - quite often if we were doing drops to shops in the city centre he’d give me a couple of parcels to carry on my own with the delivery note to take to one shop while he loaded the barrow up to take elsewhere! I was only about 8 or 9 and was dashing into shops shouting “sign this love please” :laughing:

Pete’s son-in-law is Pete Ullathorne, not sure if he worked at Brinny’s but he is (was) a mechanic. When I started at JEM he was their in-house mechanic, servicing all JEM’s own wagons. Now they’re a proper Nightfreight franchise everything’s contract hire and Pete is an area manager or something!

Hiya Kev. My name is Malc.

Pete Ullathorne worked for Majestic with Pete Hoyer iirc. Terry Appleyard was there on my second tour of duty and you are correct, he did York 2 after Jeff Hardcastle had his smash and buggered his leg up. When I was there, Rowley Mounser, Bob Sherburn and Jim Hargove with the Thomson Twins were on class one with Glynn Coggan as union man. How is Les Underwood? Jools was in the office with John Carney, Mick ? BOOTH from Snaith, the best planner in the world, he couldn’t drive but sorted every drop out and they were always in perfect order. Jools then went on the road and was doing DDM into Hull. I went on night shunting doing opposite shifts to Jimmy Hargroves.

I heard John Lindlay died, he was a decent bloke once you got on the right side of him though many drivers never got there. I have quite amazed myself remembering a few names from 30 years ago, here are some more for your Dad and Jock. Mick Patrick, Clarrie Wilson, Charlie Taylor, Terry Griffiths, Mick Forster, Trev Egan, who is often found in Lockerbie on a Monday & Thursday night. Des Gardham did West Yorks. I remembered Roys name, I think it was Roy Bowles■■? who did Scarborough, and it was little Kevin who I took to Hull when I took over Hull 1. He eventually took over the KM drawbar that I drove on Lincoln 2

Brian Alflatt did Bridlington, Bodie Watson was on Grimsby, The bloke who had Howdendyke pub worked there as did Discount Don.

These should keep your Dad and Jock ticking over while they are growing carrots and pottering in the potting shed. Tell Jock there is a bloke on this forum called Willie Mac who has asked after him. :wink:

I was meant to go up to Gilberdyke today to a funeral, as they were burying one of Mike Darleys elder brothers. :frowning:

diesel dan:

who remember these.

That was probably similar to one of the last ones I drove on the Dunstable changeover with Alton although it was a convoluted run. 01.00 AM start Howden to Gildersome, drop drag, collect new drag and 2nd Alton Box Change both boxes over at the back of Dodge / Renault. back to Gildersome, swap drags over and back into Howden in time for the pubs opening :stuck_out_tongue: Tetleys for Breakfast or was it Supper?

I always called it supper Malc :laughing:

Hi Malc

Cheers for all that, I’ll print it off and show my dad over the weekend. Some real blast from the past names there. Pete Hoier still works at Brinny’s, he’s bodyshop manager and a mate of mine through mutual friends. Jeff Hardcastle still lives in Howden, I still bump into him from time to time in the post office but he’s looking really old and ill nowadays.

Les Underwood was depot manager during the time I was going out with my dad, think he still lives in Howden too. I’ve not seen him in years, not sure if my dad has. I didn’t really know John Lindlay, but I thikn him and my dad were good mates - probably due to fact my dad had been there so long.

I remember Terry Griffiths too, and Clarrie, and Roy Bowles and his lad Kev. Still see Kev in Goole from time to time, don’t think he knows me though. Most of the names are familiar just from my dad talking about them and from Saturday morning trips out and when I was really young. It was good back them cos I used to be able to go into the yard and warehouse and it was the best thing in the world for a truck-mad nipper like me! :smiley:

Later on though, from being about 10 to my early teens, Carriers banned drivers from taking passengers so my dad used to drop me in town while he went to get the wagon and i’d walk up to knedlington crossroads where he’d pick me up!

My dad’s a technophobe so there’s no chance of him coming on here, so I’ll communicate his responses if he’s got anything to add! :laughing:

By the way, what years did you work in Howden and what’s your surname? Sent me a message if you don’t want to mention it on the public forum…

Wheel Nut:
I often wonder why I left, oh yes it was the crimson and grey uniform with a corduroy collar that Bunzl provided :laughing:

haha, only just seen this - brilliant! i think my dad’s actually still got some of his grey uniform pants at home which he uses for gardening! :laughing:

I used to love the blue jacket and pants overalls with the yellow badge when I was a kid. my mum even sowed my a Carriers badge off my dad’s old ovis onto my clothes!

do you remember the first time those gray and crimson coats were washed and all the dye came out,ive still got crimson pants tee shirts hankeys socks trainers longjohns.i recon the worst uniform was the last one, bright yellow,in the summer a noise like a squadren of lancasters used to follow you around as all the flys were attracted to the colour. :laughing: :laughing:

I remember my dad bringing a couple of new sets home and moaning about the colour and how stiff the material was. the original blue ones were dead soft and comfy, but the grey was like an actual suit! i think howden had closed by the time the yellow uniform came out - my dad took redundancy before he had to wear it if not! :laughing:

hi, kev. heres one for your old dad,the second erf carriers had.it had a ■■■■■■■ i80 engine.the first one had a 180 gardner. 1968 i think.

diesel dan:

hi, kev. heres one for your old dad,the second erf carriers had.it had a ■■■■■■■ i80 engine.the first one had a 180 gardner. 1968 i think.

That looks like the last new trailer they bought as well :stuck_out_tongue: . The trailers all worked but they worked bloody hard!

Wheel Nut:

kevchalluk:

Wheel Nut:
Say Hello to Kenny for me :stuck_out_tongue: He maybe wont remember me because he never stopped running round York with Micky Robinson as his ■■■■■. I ended up with Roys lad as my ■■■■■ on Hull 1. I also taught young Andy the ropes, he was related to Kev Archer.

I am trying to remember Jocks son in laws name, (maybe Pete) but seem to think he worked for Brian Leighton Garages at the time.

what’s your real name Wheel Nut and when were you at Carriers? Yeah, I still see Micky Rob around Howden from time to time. I think it was Trev Appleyard on York 2 as my dad’s oppo, but I don’t think they got along! :laughing: I’ve got some great memories of dashing round York like a blue-arsed fly with my dad - quite often if we were doing drops to shops in the city centre he’d give me a couple of parcels to carry on my own with the delivery note to take to one shop while he loaded the barrow up to take elsewhere! I was only about 8 or 9 and was dashing into shops shouting “sign this love please” :laughing:

Pete’s son-in-law is Pete Ullathorne, not sure if he worked at Brinny’s but he is (was) a mechanic. When I started at JEM he was their in-house mechanic, servicing all JEM’s own wagons. Now they’re a proper Nightfreight franchise everything’s contract hire and Pete is an area manager or something!

Hiya Kev. My name is Malc.

Pete Ullathorne worked for Majestic with Pete Hoier iirc. Terry Appleyard was there on my second tour of duty and you are correct, he did York 2 after Jeff Hardcastle had his smash and buggered his leg up. When I was there, Rowley Mounser, Bob Sherburn and Jim Hargove with the Thomson Twins were on class one with Glynn Coggan as union man. How is Les Underwood? Jules was in the office with John Carney, Mick Booth? from Snaith, the best planner in the world, he couldn’t drive but sorted every drop out and they were always in perfect order. Jules then went on the road and was doing DDM into Hull. I went on night shunting doing opposite shifts to Jimmy Hargroves.

I heard John Lindlay died, he was a decent bloke once you got on the right side of him though many drivers never got there. I have quite amazed myself remembering a few names from 30 years ago, here are some more for your Dad and Jock. Mick Patrick, Clarrie Wilson, Charlie Taylor, Terry Griffiths, Mick Forster, Trev Egan, who is often found in Lockerbie on a Monday & Thursday night. Des Gardham did West Yorks. I remembered Roys name, I think it was Roy Bowles■■? who did Scarborough, and it was little Kevin who I took to Hull when I took over Hull 1. He eventually took over the KM drawbar that I drove on Lincoln 2

Brian Alflatt did Bridlington, Bodie Watson was on Grimsby, The bloke who had Howdendyke pub worked there as did Discount Don.

These should keep your Dad and Jocks mind ticking over while they are growing carrots and pottering in the potting shed. Tell Jock there is a bloke on this forum called Willie Mac who has asked after him. :wink:

I was meant to go up to Gilberdyke today to a funeral, as they were burying one of Mike Darleys elder brothers. :frowning:

I remembered some other names, and it has kept me awake thinking of them all now. I hope your Dad will read your lists and help me with my insomnia :wink:

Drivers
John Harding
Adrian■■? ex Army lad from Old Goole
Jim Alfons Vikmanis - Gentleman - RIP
Tony (Bodie) Watson
Brian ■■? Another Brid man. From Rawcliffe I think
Roy Bowling not Bowles
Kevin Bowling - likewise
Hell I remember the coloured route planning board like it was yesterday

Garage
■■■■ (let it Develop) Foreman
Jim Winterburn - Fleet Engineer
Chris Newman - Trailer repairs
Tony - Bodywork and paint

Office.
Margaret Taylor, nee Smith before Charlie got his grubby mitts on her :stuck_out_tongue:
Julie Wraith, Still single, still in Eastrington I believe

Supervisors.
Barry Moverley
John Burnett
Tom Underwood
Dave (Army Driving assessor)
Dave Ellwood (Electrical supplies) Larsen Road.

You will have me remembering all the post codes and trailer sorting codes next, I seem to remember H was Gretna, L was Hertfordshire, :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: No forget that, it was over 30 years ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Caerphilly probably made more sense with C as it was right in the far corner past the cage.

Sunday Morning Union meetings in the Burlington Hotel on the corner of Alexandra Street and Burlington Crescent. Mine Hosts, Reg and Susan Darragh :laughing:

Christmas drinks in the Board Inn with Wolfgang Peter Stichler

ah, it’s Roy and Kev Bowling I was thinking of earlier not Bowles! I remember John Harding and Barry Mov too. Do you remember Dave Elborough? I think he went from Carriers to open a sports shop in Pasture Road in Goole called Daly Sports. I used to knock about with his son, Craig, a bit in my younger days.

kevchalluk:
ah, it’s Roy and Kev Bowling I was thinking of earlier not Bowles! I remember John Harding and Barry Mov too. Do you remember Dave Elborough? I think he went from Carriers to open a sports shop in Pasture Road in Goole called Daly Sports. I used to knock about with his son, Craig, a bit in my younger days.

Dave Elborough, yes sorry, I got mistaken with the electrical supplies Ellwood. Of course it was.

DALY sports name was taken from Dave and Lynn. his wife I think. :stuck_out_tongue: another great bloke

I am enjoying this thread, it makes my brain cells work a little harder.

I used to See Barry Moverley a lot in my local pub, He is a great bloke and we always talked about the old times, he had a stroke , but he was doing quite well when I saw him last, some relation of Les Underwood I believe. weren’t they all, Tommy, Trevor Egan.

Bill Maggs was another you would remember, he was the bloke who always had a brush in his hand and kept the yard tidy, especially under the bays.

Little biddy in the workshop also had a heart attack but was fine when I last saw him Howden.

Got to go, she is not impressed with me again, things to do, :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah that’s right, Dave and Lynn combined their names for the shop!

I see Biddy around Howden all the time, not sure he really knows who I am though. He was good mates with my ex-girlfriend’s dad back in the 90s, but he always stops and talks to my dad in Tesco and whatnot!

i done agency work for uc about 17yrs ago out of braintree depot. every motor they gave me was dirty and no radio workin lol /usually a daf2100 or merc 2421 i think,trunked to west brom and back easy job but struggled getting on bays at braintree lol/was only 22 at the time ,shunter said just hit the other trailers to get on the bays so after that i did just that…good ole days…regads jon

anybody remember nationwide,another company ucl took over.

diesel dan:

I don’t remember that one but had a spell driving an Irish motor on South Lincs for them, was it Cross County Carriers? it was a similar colour scheme. The only reason I had the Dodge was that I needed a 16tonner and we must have been short of KM’s at the time.

Somebody mentioned Radios, well I normally had my own truck and had a twinpole antenna fitted on the front but the radio was built into a Family Choice biscuit tin, with a speaker in the lid. I had 2 wires with crocodile clips to go on the interior light. When I lost my regular truck I had a small aerial that clipped onto the passenger window. We had to improvise :stuck_out_tongue:

diesel dan:

I worked for Nationwide/Arrowfast, we were formerly Huddersfield Parcels, at Milnsbridge, Huddersfield. We got bought out by UCL in around 1985, We all got made redundant & i went to work at Bees, in Morley, till 1990, When they shut. I then moved to UCL at Gildersome, Leeds where i stayed till they shut in January 2002. I was mainly on one of the Sheffield routes, but occasionaly did a bit of Artic work.

hi,bugadifino.
it sounds like you had a bit of a curse, everywhere you worked they went bust. :laughing: :laughing: when nationwide packed up ucl inherited two of their sed/aktis 400 units,if you remember the gear change pattern was opposite to normal what fun and games i had with that driving through london twice a night. :blush: iwas friendly with malcolm (ginger haired lad) and neil,they were both on trunking at gildersome dept. used to go to the hub at night.

united carriers wellingborough workshop in 1972,h&r would have a fit if it was like this today, note the open pits and air lines laying about and all the junk. (not my transit) :open_mouth:

that’s a great pic dan!