united carriers

edwardj:
what stands out from united was the ingenuity of some of the workshops ours used to build shunters for various depots out of cut down shortened scrap rigids everything fabricated themselves, , we had 2 puddle jumpers that had 2 seperate accidents within a week of each other both serious cab damage one on the left one on the right , one got recabbed the other got the 2 damaged cabs cut in half and welded together :open_mouth:

That was one thing that impressed me, at Howden we were Bedford 330 engine builders and Swapbody repairs. If someone in Gretna blew an engine up, a recon was sent up on night trunk and it would be back on the road by the end of the following day.

Howden Depot is no more and is now a Co-operative / Somerfield Superstore and housing

Real mechanics that knew what they were doing and could fix anything (ignored them once when I was told not to take a puddle jumper out one saturday as gearlinkage was starting to fail got in it drove it in yard felt fine, loaded it up took it down to bidford tipped it half way back accross a set of lights it failed no gears at all ) not like the modern day technicians (got a driver brokedown current has had a technician there for 2 hours now, computer cant find the fault so they dont know whats wrong!!)

one of the mercs

Walsall Wood Depot doing a ambulance pull for charity circa 1992 I think

nice to see the photos of the willmotts lorries remember them very well my dad (albert henrickson) drove the twin to tbt 134 it was an albion claymore sbt 822 he had it from new

allan henrickson:
nice to see the photos of the willmotts lorries remember them very well my dad (albert henrickson) drove the twin to tbt 134 it was an albion claymore sbt 822 he had it from new

Eyup Allan, have you had a look at Dave Wilsons Howden facebook page, there is quite a bit about Howden Hauliers, your dad got a mention too. You may see pictures of yourself in short trousers… :stuck_out_tongue:

yes malc denise is on facebook been looking at that for last few weeks really good dave started something there

if i could do it i would put some old photos on malc

allan henrickson:
if i could do it i would put some old photos on malc

You could email me them or post them to me. I will send you a private message

Have you got any of my mother? :stuck_out_tongue:

hi thankyou very much for posting the photograph of the A.E.C artic . do you have any more of them? :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: thankyou for posting these photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: i have some photos from my atlas express days ( another U.C.L aquisition) but they’re not what i’de call brilliant , and not too sure how to post them .

4 years ago i was bought a book , called B.R.S PARCELS AND THE EXPRESS CARRIERS . although a large chunk of the book is devoted to the N.F.C arm of the industry such as B.R.S / Roadline , National Carriers, Tartan Arrow , Hanson ,Watsons . there are chapters on Wilkinsons Transport, Carryfast, Atlas Express, United Carriers . there are also smaller chapters on firms such as Nightfreight , Crowfoots, Tuffnells , A.N.C , Parceline (now D.P.D) a great book well worth buying . it is packed full of excellent black and white photographs , and has an excellent chapter on United Carriers , and shows a line up of vehicles in the wellingborough yard , post United takeover with lots of Frank Willis Carriers vans in prominence . you can find the book on nynehead books website :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi i worked for atlas express at the leeds deopt (birstal)would love to see some pics of the atlas wagons not many on here ive a couple if i can find them and will try to put them on(

midlandsaint776:
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: thankyou for posting these photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: i have some photos from my atlas express days ( another U.C.L aquisition) but they’re not what i’de call brilliant , and not too sure how to post them .

Long closed Southampton depot, me just about to leave on day trunk with two 25foot demounts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

diesel dan:
hi steve.i too came from finedon.ithought i reconised your name.but i.cant put a face to it.it must have been in the late eights when you were there.bill stevens was the regular mod driver untill about99. i did the maidstone trunk those days. my name is mick goss.do you remember me.i heard that steve grant was /is a singer in a night cub in malta. or somewhere i envy you living your dream in canada .i moved to america for a few years but couldnt get a green card so had to come home

Hi Mick. Do you remember me? Trevor from Walsall Wood. And Adrian from Bristol, and we used to call you Whoosh! We used to run to and from Enfield depot at night. :slight_smile:

hi trevor,
of coarse i remember you and adrian,we used to have a good laugh at enfield didnt we ?last time i saw you was at the hub before it all went pear shaped.united carriers has its own site on facebook, there are some other guys on there from wally wood you would know. what are you upto these days? ended my driving days at ups.better woosh off for now .lol take care mate .

Bit older than the usual ones!

older atlas leyland as well

1925024_10152586565836219_515318481281971012_n.jpg

Toddy2:

cockney rebel:
Hi Diesel I did most of the trunks mostly Alton,Bristol,Braintree, I remember running with I think his name was
Ray Sharp (half sharp) loved to get the trailer wheels of the ground I remember your name and probably a lot
more if memory was jogged .

Cockney Rebel (Ken Rees)

Hi Ken,

Just found this thread, I work with a guy who worked for Carriers for years out of Braintree, until they closed.
His Name is Mike Newman & he now works for UK Mail (formerly Business Post)
He does a long trunk (12 hr shift) Mon - Thurs, and I usually do the Friday, so I only see him when I cover someone elses (holiday or sickness) during the week

I’ll have to tell him about this site

toddy2

hi i remember mick newman i worked at braintree depot on the bank on nights how about kenny howman or johnny laidlaw antone remember them steve

hi i worked on the bank on nights at braintree depot mid 80s until it all went pear shaped best company i worked for i would probably still be there anyone remember mick newman kenny howman johnny laidlaw or pete bennet still see him sometimes i could go on and on haha