Turbostar appreciation society

I owned both a 190-48 TurboStar and a 440E52 EuroStar, the 48 had a 13spd and the 520 had the SAMT box with the electronics removed which made it into a regular Twin Splitter. Fantastic lorries, I never had any trouble from either of them. I’ve owned and driven lorries with higher horsepower, but I’ve never driven anything that pulls as well as that 520 did, it was a beast.

The evolution of the V8 was the 33 and 35 were naturally aspirated, the 38 and 42 were twin turbo, the 48 and the 52 were turbocharged and intercooled.

The inline 6s followed the same progression, the 26 was naturally aspirated, the 30 and 33 were turbocharged and the 36 was turbocharged and intercooled.

Before the 170/190 numbering system there was the 619/684 etc and I haven’t got a clue what they had under the cab, whatever it was it had a nice bark and even though they could and did pull big weights, they did so very slowly, as anybody that has had to slam on the anchors when confronted with one in an uphill Italian tunnel with a bend in it in can testify.

newmercman:
I owned both a 190-48 TurboStar and a 440E52 EuroStar, the 48 had a 13spd and the 520 had the SAMT box with the electronics removed which made it into a regular Twin Splitter. Fantastic lorries, I never had any trouble from either of them. I’ve owned and driven lorries with higher horsepower, but I’ve never driven anything that pulls as well as that 520 did, it was a beast.

The evolution of the V8 was the 33 and 35 were naturally aspirated, the 38 and 42 were twin turbo, the 48 and the 52 were turbocharged and intercooled.

The inline 6s followed the same progression, the 26 was naturally aspirated, the 30 and 33 were turbocharged and the 36 was turbocharged and intercooled.

Before the 170/190 numbering system there was the 619/684 etc and I haven’t got a clue what they had under the cab, whatever it was it had a nice bark and even though they could and did pull big weights, they did so very slowly, as anybody that has had to slam on the anchors when confronted with one in an uphill Italian tunnel with a bend in it in can testify.

The 360s were no snails either , the went very well up the hills the 480 a different class

the one i drove

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:
I always rather fancied one of these beasts too. You could have a Fuller 'box if you wanted, instead of the ZF Ecosplit syncho job. You could have a 9-sp Fuller and I believe Pete Smith on here drove some. Or more commonly, and certainly in the LHD version, you could have the 13-sp Fuller like this one:

Or you could have a Twin-splitter constant-mesh (this was also an option in the later Eurostar, an example of which I ran myself), like this one:

The Aussies fitted 18-sp Fuller to there’s!

You could even have a high-cabbed version but I think these were built by Esteppe or Hatcher. There were quite a few about!

We need Jelliot on this thread. He ran a cracker! Robert

Hi Robert,
Sorry for late reply,
Yes we had a 5 or 6 on hire for around 4 months, there was one 190.36, this was a wider and higher mounted cab than the 190.30’s that made the rest of the numbers up. The 360 may have been fitted with a 13 speed Fuller as I seem to remember it because the lever had 3 positions on the gear stick?
I can remember the 360 as it was fitted with air horns and the button to operate them was on the floor, I pressed it by accident! Also I got done for doing 70 mph on the M1 at 3 am in the morning!
The 190.30’s had a “slap over” range change I think, but as other poster have stated the cab trim was a bit of let down and for 2 years old the cabs had started to show serious rust problems but both models were decent performers and very willing engines. Another truck we had at the same time was an ERF for evaluation, fitted with a ■■■■■■■ 365 and twin splitter, a bit of over kill really as all the fleet was plated at 28 ton gross, that ERF would go off the clock quite easily! Cheer’s Pete

Cheers Pete! That ERF would have been an E-series, I think. Robert

Yes Robert, white cab with green stripe I think, I did not come from S.Jones I think it may have come from the factory as it had travelled around various Exel Logistics depots! We ended up with Merc 1726’s and 3 1729’s, I was allocated a 1726 and had it for 2 days and asked for my Roadtrain back!

Can’t beat Teutonic engineering Pete! :laughing: :laughing:

Still got me old services cards for the FIAT range of trucks as they were called when I started working on them before the big merger to create IVECO

robthedog:
Still got me old services cards for the FIAT range of trucks as they were called when I started working on them before the big merger to create IVECO

Turned it up the right way Rob. :wink:

1. Iveco Turbostar 420 bhp test.

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:

robthedog:

Turned it up the right way Rob. :wink:

Thanks Dean,
bloody nightmare this site now, images too big or round the wrong you’ve more patience than me the amount you post I would have given up by now. So compliments to you on the Paul gee stuff and everything else you put up very commendable

DEANB:
1985. Iveco Turbostar 420 bhp test.

Click on pages twice to read.

After reading that nothing’s changed in all these years dodgy handling and brakes and interior trim that falls apart exactly the same as the modern rubbish least the old uns went like stink

Just some eye candy for you Iveco boy’s

m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMBgcwST9o

(Wouldn’t let me up load,the clip for some reason hopefully you can follow the link…)

IlLike how he also starts off in first gear after spinning off…but clearly it was fiction as that jag would never have started on the first crank anyhow…

The I’ve come (ironically just discovered the default spell correction for iveco) wins on engine sound…but in my eyes two of the best looking trucks of that era.

However peoples pronunciation of iveco has always been the most source of amusement, I still hear new variables, and everyone thinks thier way is right of course.

rsg1234567:
Just some eye candy for you Iveco boy’s

m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMBgcwST9o

(Wouldn’t let me up load,the clip for some reason hopefully you can follow the link…)

IlLike how he also starts off in first gear after spinning off…but clearly it was fiction as that jag would never have started on the first crank anyhow…

The I’ve come (ironically just discovered the default spell correction for iveco) wins on engine sound…but in my eyes two of the best looking trucks of that era.

However peoples pronunciation of iveco has always been the most source of amusement, I still hear new variables, and everyone thinks thier way is right of course.

That was fun!

rsg1234567:
…but clearly it was fiction as that jag would never have started on the first crank anyhow…

On the contrary, it was well-informed scriptwriting, IMO- they knew that it would be quicker to uncouple the trailer and wait for the air to build up on the Fiat, than wait for the Jag to discover more than 6 cylinders. :smiley: :laughing: