Iveco Turbostar

Always quite liked the look of these, not many left now as i think they were quite prone to some tin worm. I think the big V8s were quite lively 420/480bhp. Some people on here must have driven them/owned them, how did they compare on the road and to live in for a week?. Was the 360 a V8?.

Hi
i think the 360 was a six pot, there’s still loads of them abroad… remember reading a TRUCK mag article years ago, the first two 420’s over here were left hookers on tipper work, owned by two brothers i think :question: :question: :question:
Jerry

This one’s been for sale for some time at a truck dealer in Houthalen…

…so,if you’re looking for a restoration project… :wink:

Sorry about the blurred pic :blush:

Never drove one, but the big V8s sounded lovely, typical Fiat though, chronic tinworm, dodgy electrics, and cheapo interior materials…
Jerry

had a couple of 360 t/stars and they went like stink they was near 380"s from the factory really would go off the clock no trouble at all wasnt a to bad a truck apart form the cabs falling apart

I had a 480, the front panel went a bit ‘pourous’ but a good paint job sorted that out, I ran it for a couple of years and never changed so much as a headlight bulb, it was a very nice motor to own and drive and it used to eat 143 Scanias for breakfast :laughing:

Turbostars are one of favourite lorries,i was at the dumfries truck n bus show this year and there was a 48 there factory 6x2,or 4 wheeler with add on whatever way y wanna look at it,loads still workin in Italy and in excellent condition,would love one myself,I
used to work on a couple of 190.36’s,6 cylinder with 13 speeds in em,lovely simple motor,nice cab but the rot,one e reg an a g reg,both rotted out and we redone them both,the g reg was only 3 year old then.
Back in the late 90’s i used to see E.M Rogers motors with them on the back on the Zebe boat from dover,they were always well rotton etc,possibly goin for refurb then to the blackman perhaps.

WE NEED TO WAKE MAGGIE D UP HE HAD SOME MOST EXCELENT TURBOSTARS,AND I DONT MEAN THOSE TURBOTECH MOTORS ,TOTALY DIFFERENT CUP OF TEA REGARDS ALAN :wink: :wink: :wink:

Never drove the turbostar, had an iveco 220-30 on an E - Plate that wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding although was quite fast and decent for room . Always liked the look of the turbostar, remember loading fertilizer out of swinefleet and Houstons of armadale had a V8 420 turbostar with twin eminox stacks on it, the driver who drove it said it was called " chinook " after the way it sounded. Got to admit it sounded awesome loaded. We’d both just loaded and had to go back to thorne for our notes, and he left me for dead, even on the winding back roads.

We used to have a couple, i only remember one tho as it ended up as a shunter, well what was left of it did…

gunnerheskey:
Never drove the turbostar, had an iveco 220-30 on an E - Plate that wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding although was quite fast and decent for room . Always liked the look of the turbostar, remember loading fertilizer out of swinefleet and Houstons of armadale had a V8 420 turbostar with twin eminox stacks on it, the driver who drove it said it was called " chinook " after the way it sounded. Got to admit it sounded awesome loaded. We’d both just loaded and had to go back to thorne for our notes, and he left me for dead, even on the winding back roads.

When I worked for Syd Wood he a few 360s and a 420 they were good pullers but brakes left a bit to be desired the 420 was on low loader work and it was well on top the job there is a pic in Dave Lees book of it I worked nights for a couple of months 2 Birmingham’s a night was a comfortable 12 hour shift.

sammyopisite:
When I worked for Syd Wood he a few 360s and a 420 they were good pullers but brakes left a bit to be desired the 420 was on low loader work and it was well on top the job there is a pic in Dave Lees book of it I worked nights for a couple of months 2 Birmingham’s a night was a comfortable 12 hour shift.

Wedge brakes you see, always a delay between hitting the middle pedal and any form of slowing down, I found the delay was just long enough to allow me to shout ‘oh ■■■■ this is going to make a bang’ :laughing:

A company I worked for had 2 of them, a 360 4x2 and a 420 4x2 with an after thought axel stuck on the back making it well long. The 360 was a cracking motor, 6 cylinder through a 16 speed ZF and it went realy well. The 420 was the thirstiest truck I have ever known, it didnt go much better than the 360 but it sounded amazing, a 17.2 liter V8 in it, through a Fuller box. Niether truck had good brakes. At the time and as a fairly fresh young driver these were the business.

Here is the one of the beastie 17.2 liter V8 motors :slight_smile:

steptoe:
A company I worked for had 2 of them, a 360 4x2 and a 420 4x2 with an after thought axel stuck on the back making it well long. The 360 was a cracking motor, 6 cylinder through a 16 speed ZF and it went realy well. The 420 was the thirstiest truck I have ever known, it didnt go much better than the 360 but it sounded amazing, a 17.2 liter V8 in it, through a Fuller box. Niether truck had good brakes. At the time and as a fairly fresh young driver these were the business.

Here is the one of the beastie 17.2 liter V8 motors :slight_smile:

I was going to mention the fuel consumption. Carl from these forums had a Turbostar thread I think and there were pictures of Farmer Giles Scholey who ran two 420 Iveco, maybe Dreva posted the article too!

Wheel Nut:
I was going to mention the fuel consumption. Carl from these forums had a Turbostar thread I think and there were pictures of Farmer Giles Scholey who ran two 420 Iveco, maybe Dreva posted the article too!

I thought there was another turbostar thread somewhere! :laughing:

Here’s my old girl resting somewhere in Germany

Here’s mine - I’ve posted it on here before, but once more won’t hurt :smiley:

newmercman:

sammyopisite:

Wedge brakes you see, always a delay between hitting the middle pedal and any form of slowing down, I found the delay was just long enough to allow me to shout ‘oh [zb] this is going to make a bang’ :laughing:

Tremendous, Mark its good to see you have not lost your ( British ) sense of humour.

Paul

With the fuel consumption, were the 142/143 scanias not every bit as thirsty before speed limiters came along?. Some good pictures there, what were the cabs like inside, from the outside they look perhaps about the same as a 3 series topline?.