TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

Spardo:

ezydriver:
Do they say “Stockport” on the side mate?
If so, where were they based?
I used to live in Stockport in 2005 and Drove for RF Fielding, and David Bratts.
I’d be interested to know where Dow were based.

Great pictures.

Thanks.

Blimey Ezy, I thought my eyes were bad, :unamused: but if that isn’t Swindon I’ll eat my hat. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Ha ha. No mate, if you look at the first two photos, they definitely say Stockport.

But, for one moment, you did have me questioning my sanity there!

On the way home from a trip,stopped at this lay by in Hungary for a cook up.

Obviously warm enough to cook outside.
These pics were taken by a couple of East German hitch hikers I had with me for a short while.

ezydriver:
I used to live in Stockport in 2005 and Drove for RF Fielding, and David Bratts.

Great pictures.

Thanks.

Hi Ezydrive, Dows first yard I think, was next to a pub (head office) near the gas works. I will ask my brother who will be able to remember it ,could of been the Cloggers. After that they moved to Lingaurd Lane, Bredbury , Stockport ,next to the railway bridge, Leggets was across the road. The depot in Swindon, I think was the old Radclives Yard at Stratton st Margeret, and I last heard it was a posh housing development. Swindon did a lot of M.A.N. parts delivery in those days. Can you help out here Foden 46 ? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards the mushroomman.

ezydriver:

Great pictures.

Thanks.

i was on for bratty’s back then what motor was you on ■■

ezydriver:
[
Ha ha. No mate, if you look at the first two photos, they definitely say Stockport.

But, for one moment, you did have me questioning my sanity there!

:blush: :blush: :blush: My apologies mate, just proves my inability to look more than one post up, where’s TIR’s sig when you need it? :unamused:

Pass the pickles, with all this H&S about, the next meal could be a mite crispy. :unamused: :cry:

What the betting you still have those sandals :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No chance.They disintegrated years ago!

can anyone fill me in on what happened to dow?

gonzothejaffa1:

ezydriver:

Great pictures.

Thanks.

i was on for bratty’s back then what motor was you on ■■

I worked nights mate. So I used all of the motors. But mostly the Renault Premiums, the 53 plate ones, and some which were newer.
I remember the ‘N’ plated wendy house, I had that a few times, and I did do one dayshift once, and used [u]this[/u] motor.

I used a few of the Scanias too, 53 plate ones. I think one had “drip dry” on a number plate.

I used the low roof Merc Axor a few times, and a low roof FH12.

Basically all of them on Tesco, and TNT from Bredbury.
Nice job. 8 hours maximum usually, 9 at an extreme push.
Good company to work for in my opinion.

truckerash:
I am looking for Foden pic as you read this. Be able to post pic at weekend :wink:

Mushroomman: Did you get pics of Dromedary Foden?

Yes thanks Ash, did you receive the six pics and the letter ? Out of the blue yesterday, I received a letter from somebody who I worked with over twenty years ago Roy Kershaw and he lives near Glossop. I have asked him to make some enquires about Dromedary but I think Billy Tingel, Tony Jefferies and Stan Mills, who all lived in Glossop at the time, might have some info.

Keep you posted, Steve.

dreva:
can anyone fill me in on what happened to dow?

Billy,
You have a PM.

bob-lad:

Great photos bob lad, nice to see my old truck , 2nd photo, on the left, B911 SND MANNING GREY. 3rd photo, its on the right . Any reason why you took that specific shot.?
Over twenty years later, it still brings a tear to my eye after all this time, seeing them all parked up like that. A great time in my life, great work mates, a great company to work for and a great tragedy it came to an end, the way it did.
If it were still going today, hope fully I would still be working for them.
I believe the drivers have a reunion every year in Blackpool, I can only imagine the unbelievable storys that are being retold. Thanks again bob lad.

bob-lad:

Somewhere in that lot will be my old truck although I never drove it for DOW.

B346 VOU

come back truckerash and resurect this thread

in fact start a new trucking in 80’s uk

Can you post some more ACH pics please my dad used to work there back around 1970.

newmercman:
My Dad used to work for a firm called St Magnus Shipping in the early 70s, they were out of Finanglia Wharf. I think they were taken over by George, they were silver & purple too. He drove a D1000, which looked ridiculous with a 40ft box behind it! a Guy Big J, the early one without the false grille & got a brand new Scania 80 on a L plate. They were doing a lot of containers full of tape players & tv’s, well they were full when they left the dock! There was another firm in there who ran over the water with, i think red 110s, I remember a bloke called Vic, he had a girlfriend called Heather who was a painter & a monkey called Jacko.

One thing I do remember was they sent a motor over to Germany for the first time & the trailer was too high for Belgium, there were also tales of the dock being used as an underwater car park. Is any of this true or just part of the legend?

Sorry I have been away a couple weeks, and away from the Forum, it was Finland Yard, and the Containers where Dart, or Blue Dart, and we used to load out of Vic Deep Wharf, by the Blackwell Tunnel, and yes they where full of the things you say, He used to use a crane to lift the back doors off, by taking out the hinges, and leaving the seal intact, he would then prop up the last row of goods with timber, so it looked full, but when you drove down the road with it, you knew it was empty, the police did film him from across the dock, and he was nicked for that episode, the judge said he had nicked £25000, of washing machines that was going to Malta, he said if he paid them back, could he be let off, and yes the Surrey Docks had more cars than the NCP car park in it.

Lifting the doors off loaded containers was a well known London secret in the old days.

Pop Larkin:
It looks like the Schiaffino became Sally Eurobridge.

ferry-site.dk/ferrycompany.p … 32&lang=en

Just clicked on your link only to find that the Schiaffino is now on its side in Blackpool as the Riverdance

r slicker:
was that one genuine tax disc and 5 photocopies ■■ :laughing: :laughing:

frank and carrie say hello and ask is it true that gavin is in canada now ■■.

You mean Frank ‘can’t stay in a job too long’!! I just heard that he recently moved to Ireland following Carrie like an obedient puppy… I remember when he started at MJM and was as quite as a mouse and very quiet/timid.

Gav moved to Calgary Aug 07 and by all accounts is really enjoying it. He was a good lad and deserves to do well.

Got any pics??

hi mr mjm
i remember them days runnin spain best days of my life if only the clock could turn back
no craic no more

our moto

■■■■ work lets party and we did stil in touch with a lot of the mjm inner circle

Small edit, if it needs stars it ain’t allowed :wink: D. Welcome to TN nevertheless Jaffa.