TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

did those free enterprise ever close those doors :open_mouth:

Did Schiaffino become Sally?

I’ve a distant memory niggling away of using Schiaffino before Sally out of Ramsgate and Sally were in the old Schiaffino portacabin/office. The nice people in the booking office used to take your papers into customs for you while you had a brew. Much more civilised than the steps.

REALLY :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

I used the Sally line a couple of times and it was more of a floating disco boat as I remember. a mini cruise in fact.
Nothing like the old Shiaffino :open_mouth:

Mothertrucker:

REALLY :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

I used the Sally line a couple of times and it was more of a floating disco boat as I remember. a mini cruise in fact.
Nothing like the old Shiaffino :open_mouth:

Sally Sun and Sally Star (?) mobile discos? I remember them as freight only, tiny dining/mess room, small square tables and even on a completely calm sea used to rock and roll. Food wasn’t bad but you had to take a stab at the plate as it slid past on the table or you’d missed it until it came back or if you were real slow, crashed to the floor. Always good for a laugh though and duty free at half the price of Townsend. Had to be out of the cab smartish as well because you couldn’t get the door open if you waited until they loaded the one alongside you and if loaded against the wall, it was use the passenger door.

I remember their cruise ships, but they came later, I think.

Hi Ash,can not post pics from that web site as they are not mine ,so i do not know whether that is ok or not? Paul

postman paul:
Hi Ash,can not post pics from that web site as they are not mine ,so i do not know whether that is ok or not? Paul

just post them anyway and if anybody says anything we will all gang up against them. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Hi Everybody, I have found some more pics of the argo but i will have wait untill ash guides me through the uploading of the pics to this site thanks for the interest,Paul

Postman Paul sent me this pic and says:
“I think this is the Schiaffino ferry at Ramsgate”?

sorry the quality’s not bril, ill be helpin me ole’ mucka Postman Paul upload his photos, then he can put as many on as I have done :laughing: :wink:

It looks like the Schiaffino became Sally Eurobridge.

ferry-site.dk/ferrycompany.p … 32&lang=en

i remember the townsend autocarrier d/z ,flat bottom boat,would leave dover harbour and start rockin and rollin all the way to z/b ,there was a piano in the lounge which was bolted to the deck to save demolishing the other furniture. on a rough crossing it would take 8 hrs. happy days. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all, Just found a pic of the Argo it was actually called the brabant then changed its name to the argo

these are my dads old trucks

these are my dads old trucks

Hi all, this is the argo

and more

another one

Hi all, Again, Does any body remember who else ran trucks under the EBT of Dover banner? i know Colin Ashby did as my father worked for Ashby’s for 20 plus years and i think Jempsons of Rye ran some,could anybody help on who else worked for them or pulled the Schmitt of hellbron tanker trailers? Here are a few pics to remind you.Paul
This was taken in their yard

And so was this

This was taken at west malling aerodrome

jempsons had quiet a few on for ebt at on time, i think they have two or three on now .theres a lad from sandbach who still pulls for them les i think his name is , a mate of mine was on there for a while he worked for mallcom harrison from stoke drivng this ,

and there was cris tina from selby .hammonds from dover also had a few on there .ask your dad if he remembers any of the above :slight_smile:

postman paul:
Hi all, Again, Does any body remember who else ran trucks under the EBT of Dover banner? i know Colin Ashby did as my father worked for Ashby’s for 20 plus years and i think Jempsons of Rye ran some,could anybody help on who else worked for them or pulled the Schmitt of hellbron tanker trailers? Here are a few pics to remind you.Paul
This was taken in their yard

And so was this

This was taken at west malling aerodrome

mike beer had some in the late 90’s,jempsons,hammonds,i remember someone with an e series erf which later got an r.o.i plate when everyone started flaggin out,used to load at same places as these as i was on de dijcker from gent at the time,i dont think the ebt drivers were allowed home much from what some of them used to say.
The office is still in worthington street in dover i think,well the sign is anyway.

Mothertrucker:
Truckerash - Do you rmember or have any pictures of the old Schifino (if thats how it is spelled) line. The ferry that used to haul trucks from Dover to Calais.
A real rusting hulk with more holes in the side than a collander.
Ladders instead of stairs to get from one deck to the next and a hoist to haul the trucks up to the top - Scary!

I think at least one of these is still about now called Cap Afrique or the farmers ferry,back in 96 after a french strike,i was working for dockspeed,half the fleet was out there so docksreed,intercity trucks and b.o.c hired this to sail from dunkerque to dover as normally it returned empty after taking out the live exports,and i was second to board,reverse onto lift up to top deck then reverse into place,which meant second to last off,funny thing was the strike finished that afternoon and calais was empty ,must ave cost em a fortune,just in taxis to calais alone,bit of a publicity thing aswell cos they put the brand new 4 series on last in the middle hoping for a photo opportunity,but no one came.
I remember lots of ladders on it and going for a wander me an Gary Benn went up on the bridge and everything didnt see no crew though.