TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

hi ash, i,ve been lucky to be both a passenger (in the 1980s) and as a driver later on from 1992 to 2014 covering european routes,let me say that your pics of the trucks in the 1980s and the companys i remember is very well documented and a great look back at when euro trucking was in its heyday,i dont think we will see its like again all the time the problems in calais continue.

gazzer:
A LDD by Mick Hellawell of AS Rawlings for his son to present in school after the school holidays for the inevitable “What did you do on your holidays Stewart Hellawell?”

looks like my normal summer holidays when i was 15/16 then taking time off from work before getting my hgv! good on him bet it made the teacher get the road atlas out.
bet he dosnt know it but he is one lucky boy,

Aha,a photo of Marco [legionnaire].He worked for most of the ME co’s during the 70’s-80’s.Great guy but a bit ‘‘special’’
He done a lot of change overs outside France as he seemed to be a bit ‘‘popular’’ with the Gendarmes.

Any one know about or where this outfit came from, Buzzer.

5376.jpg

East London boys, they used to run yellow F88s and had a lovely wagon n drag F88.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Have often wondered just what percentage of trucks doing Italy and other European destinations were running on legit permits and how many were not, think the truth would shock us but I knew loads of companies who did half and half. Back then I perfected the art of the begging letters to Newcastle and even when you had goodun’s they did not always arrive in time to ship out and you were delayed Buzzer.

I would like to know how much money the customs at Calais et all raked in over the years with their petit cafe from nearly every lorry that came through the port.

They must’ve made an absolute fortune!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

[Hello KW - Reg Ablitt is my Dad, he’s still about , unlike Ken Cleaver, Johhny Miller, Frank Parsons to name but a few. Anyway, that looks like a day cab and doesn’t match my old man’s reg for his Seddi Ack 400. Good to see some old quotes and opictueres about the old boys. Cheers

KW:

truckerash:

KW:
Ancliff’s did some euro work (tho’ not much) during the 70’s with Seddon’s and Atki’s.

Are you stalkin me KW? :confused:
Been sortin some tanker pics out and found this beat! Check out that day cab…

I’ll ask my brother who the driver was of that one,he was a mechanic at Ancliff’s in Felixstowe from the early 70’s into the early 80’s.

They were all day cab’s,even the guys that used to do a bit across the water had day cab’s.The first sleepers on the firm were a pair of Sedd-Atki 400’s which were driven by Reg Ablitt and Ken Cleaver.
All the trucks had 240 Gardner’s under the bonnet.

They did run 2 or 3 Scania 110 day cab’s out of Felixstowe too,which I think were H or J reg.

robert1952:

Is that double drive or a tag? If a double drive thats a funny set up,with a fridge on as well it eats in to the payload a fair bit!

pete smith:

robert1952:

Is that double drive or a tag? If a double drive thats a funny set up,with a fridge on as well it eats in to the payload a fair bit!

According to Gingerfold they were double-drive with Gardners and did a lot of NAFFI work. Robert

Double drive, very similar to what we had at Waltons. Except we had ■■■■■■■ E320 with the 9 speed Fuller.
When we looked at 3 axle tractors ERF only had a twin steer or the double drive. No tag option and as the twin steer (no lift option) had poor traction in the wet double drive it was.
Not as heavy as they looked but not as light as the double drive Fodens we also had at the time.

Jarvy:
Double drive, very similar to what we had at Waltons. Except we had ■■■■■■■ E320 with the 9 speed Fuller.
When we looked at 3 axle tractors ERF only had a twin steer or the double drive. No tag option and as the twin steer (no lift option) had poor traction in the wet double drive it was.
Not as heavy as they looked but not as light as the double drive Fodens we also had at the time.

One of Walton’s C-series had a top-sleeper (pod on a day cab) if you remember. Did that have double-drive too? Robert

There was two of them. Bought for the longer Dentressangle trailers. Horrible things to spend a week away in.
All the c-series ERFs came with the E320 and 9 speed, with double drive.
All the B-series had the E290 except for the one I started on as a 24 year old newbie that had a 240 Gardener
The last new Foden came home with the E400, now that did fly and with the 3 position Jake also stopped!

kr79:
Brilliant tales real you couldn’t make it up stuff

Have loads more , most crazy! :astonished:

robert1952:

pete smith:

robert1952:

According to Gingerfold they were double-drive with Gardners and did a lot of NAFFI work. Robert

Hi Robert, I read this recently a while ago on here, it’s a good read!

download/file.php?id=157241&mode=view

Cheers, stew

harryvr6:

robert1952:

pete smith:

robert1952:

Hi Robert, I read this recently a while ago on here, it’s a good read!

download/file.php?id=157241&mode=view

Cheers, stew

Nice one! Robert

Hi Robert, I’m sorry I didn’t make much sense earlier ! ’ read this recently a while ago’ I think it was the pre football tension playing its part!

Thanks again, stew.

Kate:

mushroomman:
Terry Smith gave me some of his old photos the last time that I saw him and he asked me if I could put a couple of them on here and hopefully somebody might recognise some of the people or the trucks in them.
This Volvo Globetrotter that Terry drove belonged to Peter Winterscheid from West Germany who I think got breathalised after coming off the Sally Line boat in Ramsgate and lost his licence. Peters C.B. call sign was Papa Whiskey and Terry did say that Peter was a great bloke to work for when he was sober. I remember that Terry worked for him for quite a while doing Manchester to Swiss every week but does anybody remember anything about this red D.A.F. belonging to B. Marshall or where this photo was taken ?.

Regards Steve.

The Blue Volvo with the yellow lower grille in the background looks like Nord Transports of Basel, Reg No BS4020. Driven by Ian ‘Cornish’ Gilbert from RH Stevens of Macclesfield. Not sure what the tie-in between Stevens and Nord was. Does anybody know where Cornish is now?

Hi there sorry I’m new do this but my dad (Peter brooks) also ran a Scania 111 just like that one running Swiss work in the 80’s early 90’s and I recognise the Volvo too,could anyone else cast any more info or pictures?
Thanks kris