TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

ye mercman guessed it was used to load round the roanne area when on brian yeardley good ol days

These Dutch produce hauliers were a common sight in the '70s & '80s. Robert

380streamline:

truckerash:
heres 1 for all you northern lads. Anyone remember Eric Hunwick, think he came from M’chester area. Used to see the trucks in France and someone told me they did M/East with F88’s?

Eric Hunwick - yard was in Reddish nr Stockport and yes ran F88’s to M/E. I called in the yard late one
afternoon in 1993 and remember in the office was an impressive painting/mural of some of the trucks once operated - wonder where it is now? The rumour I heard was his son took over the running after
Eric hung himself, mid 90’s? :question:
Stopped trading ages ago :neutral_face:

Eric’s eldest daughter here: the mural was painted by our old neighbour who designed and painted sets for the Garrick Theatre in Altrincham. I dont know what happened to it either. I’m afraid his son did not take over the business, he was barely out of school at the time that dad died. I believe his second wife took over for a while until she sold it.

MorganIreland:

Riverstick:

MorganIreland:
I remember Tom fitzsimons rip forgetting to put his truck onto the paddy in rosslare after we had a good few pints in the hotel one Sunday morning, we walked down to the harbor to meet the crew in the bar there, and after few more beers we calmly walked on to the boat, poor Tom , we shared a room, and after the disco and more pints he said I better go down to get me bag out of the truck, it was then he realized what he did!, he was with transcontinental at the time,.

Yes…Heard of that happening years ago…Imagine the feeling…A few hours into a 22 hour sailing on a Sunday evening discovering this sobering mistake…having to stay on the boat until LeHavre…And then sailing back to Rosslare…To sail back out again…He should have made LeHavre by Wednesday night at that rate…after starting his journey on Saturday…

Hi , What happened was we arrived in la harve on Monday but at the time the ship only sailed back to irl on Tuesday !! They had to get someone to drive his truck out through England, Tom arrived back in rosslare on the wed,after enjoying 4 days hard drinking only to head back out straight away to Italy in another truck and back out on the paddy again, the whole crew knew the story by this time, imagine 5 days back and forward on the Paddy, ! only heard he died from a heart attack at his own front door after coming home from the pub in clondalkin recently, sad. Another funny story I still Remember is when Bert Healy took the wrong trailer from the yard and off we headed to Marseilles with what was supposed to be 2 loads of adult nappies for CMF, BUT WHEN HE OPENED THE DOORS IN MARSEILLES HIS TRAILER WAS EMPTY, still remember the look on his face !!, , all the way down the road he kept rubbing it in, saying his yellow transcontinental was pulling like a train ! No wonder !

Hi,
These Irish stories are great,I could read them all night :sunglasses:
Regards andrew.

Hi eric’s daughter. I’ve asked this question on another thread but if I remember rightly I used to go to hunwicks in a building on the corner of Manchester airport near the romper in the 70’s. When did he move to reddish? I’m sorry to hear what he did.

pimmer73:

MolePower:
taken me a good 3 hours to go through this topic , great pics & stories although i dont think this particular post was followed up ,having said that i’ve trawled through a lot of pics this morning sorry if i have missed it

truckerash:

routier:
Ash, do you know if Andrews and Bond became Central ? Just spotted a pic on another site, and it rings a bell, Im sure they changed their name when they started to sink.My dad had left well by then and went to Transfreeze.

mate. the only Central i know was Central Road Transport from Somerset.

yes…i know this isnt an 80’s photo, but im saving the best Central pics from that era, for another night :frowning: Probably do a “SouthWest” companies therme.
**routier:**do you hav anymore info on your Central. eg: location livery, etc etc:? and can you put on here, the “other site” you saw the pic on, so i can see pelase :wink:[/quot

bubbleman found this for me as i was trying to find my first truck as it turned out it was EX-CRT

i had it when it looked like this

although it did spend time in an orange livery for yeobridge transport & then as stemwest , it also went european for yeobridge although i cant find any pics in the orange livery for either yeobridge or stemwest
as far as i know CRT are still trading but as Crewkerne Refridgerated Transport & not Central Road Transport & run XF units

CRT mate first trip i ever done in an artic was subbing for them in an old c reg renault euroliner for a bloke called owen brownsey ?

pimmer73:

MolePower:
taken me a good 3 hours to go through this topic , great pics & stories although i dont think this particular post was followed up ,having said that i’ve trawled through a lot of pics this morning sorry if i have missed it

truckerash:

routier:
Ash, do you know if Andrews and Bond became Central ? Just spotted a pic on another site, and it rings a bell, Im sure they changed their name when they started to sink.My dad had left well by then and went to Transfreeze.

mate. the only Central i know was Central Road Transport from Somerset.

yes…i know this isnt an 80’s photo, but im saving the best Central pics from that era, for another night :frowning: Probably do a “SouthWest” companies therme.
**routier:**do you hav anymore info on your Central. eg: location livery, etc etc:? and can you put on here, the “other site” you saw the pic on, so i can see pelase :wink:

bubbleman found this for me as i was trying to find my first truck as it turned out it was EX-CRT

i had it when it looked like this

although it did spend time in an orange livery for yeobridge transport & then as stemwest , it also went european for yeobridge although i cant find any pics in the orange livery for either yeobridge or stemwest
as far as i know CRT are still trading but as Crewkerne Refridgerated Transport & not Central Road Transport & run XF units

CRT mate first trip i ever done in an artic was subbing for them in an old c reg renault euroliner for a bloke called owen brownsey ?

Just to correct you Pimmer it was a Renault Turboliner 310

Some may have stopped here, if there was room to park, others zoomed on past!

P1000434.JPG

Over Cenis we go, Barry.A.Titteral from O1ville, cheers Buzzer.

With a name like that Buzzer you would think he came from “Ooop North!”

gazzer:
With a name like that Buzzer you would think he came from “Ooop North!”

Wuzz you thinkin of Arfa Gween from Bratford (Arther Green, Bradford), ask Mappo he remembers them. Ran Scanias did trip every week to Italy tip and load there own trailers as well, never stopped Buzzer.

Their Scania’s were a beige/brown colour if I remember right.

chazzer:
Their Scania’s were a beige/brown colour if I remember right.

Arthur Green’s Grandson Richard changed from timber haulage to International haulage when all the pits closed so they didnt need the timber for props and boards any more. He and his brother Andrew have this Scania from the old fleet, plus a Beaver they’ve restored and a Hippo in progress. This was Harrogate last year, which they part sponsored

John

Hi been through 98 pages and found only one photo of a Martintrux vehicle… have you any more??

Tony R:
Hi been through 98 pages and found only one photo of a Martintrux vehicle… have you any more??

Type Martintrux into the small white box search bar at the top, there are quite a few references to them…

This is an old link… viewtopic.php?f=35&t=36152&hilit=martintrux

Seems to be a collection of pictures of various ladyboys on there though!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I been around a bit, but I don’t remember seeing this, we all know the blue TIR, but anyone know what TIC (front corner of trailer) is on this Spanish outfit? Chris

TIC = Transporte International de Carga

ERF-Continental:
TIC = Transporte International de Carga

There you go, someone always knows :smiley: Thanks. Chris

Dover In The 80’s Photos. From My Curries Of Dumfries Page
facebook.com/groups/6594705 … 0/?fref=ts
Regards Capt Marvell.

There is another new book out this month, published by Old Pond. It’s called Trucks in the 1980s by Nick Ireland. Pictures with captions. There’s some good stuff in there. Robert :smiley: