Truck Magazines

Shobba’s a sacred cow surely? Hang on to him, he is gold.

Rikki-UK:
So tell us what you want in a magazine for you.

what would make you spend out for a magazine and buy it each month?

If you tell us we can work towards it… and give you what you wish

dont tell us and the guys producing the magazine have to guess. you have a chance here to shape the future of your magazine

I personally will take your sensible comments and ideas and put them forward

Women! Women, fit ones with trucks. Bikini’s only. :smiley: It’s a no brainer, can’t believe your asking. :confused: Rupert Murdoch would tell you.

Gotta keep Shobba. I was in tears with one of his last month.

Has there ever been a book of his drawings?

pavaroti:

Rikki-UK:

dont tell us and the guys producing the magazine have to guess. you have a chance here to shape the future of your magazine

Women! Women, fit ones with trucks. Bikini’s only. :smiley: It’s a no brainer, can’t believe your asking. :confused: Rupert Murdoch would tell you.

Yes! You could put a 1983 Cargo on the front in fairground colours and nobody would care as long as the driver had ■■■■■ (NOT moobs!). Boobies, boobies and more boobies! We want ■■■■■! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rikki-UK:

Well judging by this months T&D,as already said several times,lose the bling.
KT Parkers Scania is very nice (if you like that sort of thing) but isn’t the kind of motor that is the backbone of the industry.

The article on ‘Stocks & Sons’ seems to be all about how good the company is to work for,with a few photos of vehicles posed in the yard.
Personally i’d much rather read about a warts an’ all ‘Day In The Life’ or simillar with photos of the vehicles making their deliveries and collections.
The day-to-day trials and tribulations of being a driver could then be captured as they happened rather than a sterile,yard based interview.

Also,i don’t know if it’s just me but the constant articles on ‘Military Vehicles’ in TRUCKING International are of no interest whatsoever.

Rikki-UK:
I cant talk for my colleagues , but I think we can all agree the 3D issue wasnt the best idea, However the recent CM Middle East and heavy Haulage specials have sold like hot cakes to the point where they sold out an extra prints had to be done

T&D has rested on it laurels for far to long, It is the best selling magazine for drivers by a long way but it has become complacent , the good news it there is a complete no holds barred review of all T&D’s content, with no scacred cows

I am part of that review and excatly how we rejuvinate T&D is still up for discussion, I think personally its has lost its way and forgotten its focus spending more time on the bling and less on the things that matter to the guys doing the job

A little bling is not a bad thing in the mag… a good cover shot always sells well, but in needds to get far more in depth to the industry , stop being so nicey nicey and reflect at the ground level this is a hard and nasty place to be

For the majority of our industry “OOH SHINY” means nothing

I used to buy it regularly, however since moving to Australia, they want to charge astronomical prices to deliver it so sadly i will not buy it no more.

Rikki-UK:

Bring back Long distance diary every month. There are still a lot of tidy companies that have nice kit and nice work. Tdw, Ralph davies, cloburn just to name a few and that have some interesting work going all over europe includein sweden. I think a few drivers would agree and that t+d and trucking can still be a good read. Cheers peter.

Davnik’s right about Truckings’ military vehicle features; Boring now just like the repetitive Canadian log wagons.

I like to see a write each month from a planner or manager giving there view, and NOT a Stobart one, just to see from the other side of the fence.

Bling all the time just sells and attracts kids and wannabes and thats why I don’t buy it.

I like to see more traditional fleets with modern fleet vehicles, downtowns, long, jack Richards that’s the type of jobs I prefer.

discoman:
I used to buy it regularly, however since moving to Australia, they want to charge astronomical prices to deliver it so sadly i will not buy it no more.

I wonder if theres a possibility of publishing an E book or kindle version for those outside the bounderies of the UK
However any online versions dont tend to go down well IMO as folks seems stuck in the mud and dont feel its a real magazine unless they`re holding a paper copy in their hands

Happydaze:
Frankly, I would close them all and let a new one evolve if it was warranted at all.

The trouble is, those who finance, work on & publish the old ones will enevitably be the ones producing any subsiquent new mags

mucker85:
Gotta keep Shobba. I was in tears with one of his last month.

Has there ever been a book of his drawings?

Again, an ebook would be an idea for a Shobba compilation

As for me, Ive cut back on all magazine purchases. Theyre normally the 1st luxury that gets the chop when I start counting the pennies

I buy most of them each month,subscribe to commercial motor every week as when I was at the cv show last year it was at a price I couldn’t ignore.
They all have their good and bad points but one thing I notice with most of the bling covered trucks on the front cover,their the ones coming past you at 60-65 mph.
Also I agree with the posters about the military or civil engineering features in trucking,boring!,same goes for the van feature in t&d,think shobba is one of the best parts of t&d though,his observations about the industry are spot on!!

have not bought t and d for ages as my tesco store does not stock it

Diarys are good, military stuff rubbish and Shobba well it’s not my cup of tea.

got bored reading about silly billys buying trucks well over specced and far more expensive than need be then spending 5k on a paint job,id love a look at their business plans and costings forecasts.the tippers always made me crack up ill have the biggest heaviest cab for day work then bolt on a load of expensive old crap then carry less and get paid less than the others.

I always buy a truck mag.

I like the bling, I like knowing what a normal day is for a haulage company in the uk, I like fleet focus when they do it. It makes better reading than that awful red top newspaer left by the last driver.

I’ve not bought a trucking mag for years, I used to buy them all but I couldn’t justify the expense now.

Out of interest, apart from T&D, what other magazines are there? Headlight and Truck went years ago, is Trucking International still going?

Theres a mag called Trucking. I spend about £6 a month, as T&D and Trucking are monthly.

Rikki-UK:

Human interest !
Long distance diary !
A day in the life of !
A view from behind the desk ( not the boss either ).
Real reporting, not re written press releases with photos.
And whilst the odd nice truck is welcome, not every issue.
Shobba is essential.
Oh get someone else to write the crossword it’s just silly.

diaries were always a good read,
theres still plenty of wagons going over the water doing interesting work. but how about a diary of a uk tramper working for a bog standard company?
bling is fine for the front cover and centrespread but it hardly reflects the transport game on a whole.
recently there was an article on ADR work which sounded more like a press release for ADR training providers, a more indepth article from the ADR drivers view would have been better.
i know it might not be everyones cup of tea but from a nostalgic point how about articles on some of the workhorses of the past?
less bling, stobarts, and life in canada/usa.
more features on other uk hauliers (and european), shobba and articles on things that are relevent to drivers and would be drivers please.

miketdt:
I use to like Headlight does anyone remember it?

I wish I could say no to that… :slight_smile: