Truck Dealers of the 1970s/1980S

Stanfield:
beanie
Cowburn & Cowper were in the yard where Brentag are now they were their for years then Sadler Tankers took them over in the 80s and in turn they sold the transport side off to Tankfreight, Hays/Albion chemicals continued to run the plant and more recently Brentag bought Albion.Cowburn & Cowper ran quite a lot of Fodens during their time.

…Cowburn & Cowper ran a very smart fleet of principally Gardner powered narrowboats prior to their road haulage days too.

David

Sellers and Batty were ERF agents in Peterborough during early 70’s I believe.

David

Boatchaser:
Haddock Commercials just passed Haddock race course, was a Foden dealer in the 70,s then went onto DAF . Think they were connected to Rylands in Warrington they Seddon Atkinsons dealers

I recall it being called Central Trucks when it was the Daf franchise in the late 70s. Which then moved to Kilbuck Lane in the early 80s and becoming Haydock Commercials and a Scania dealer. The site on the A49 became Robinson Saddlery, later burning down and being rebuilt

T.B

sammyopisite:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Comberhill Ltd, Wakefield, Atkinson Dealers, Regards Larry.

Larry they must have had the largest stock of the Krupp cab Atkinson,s as there always seemed to be 4 or 5 on show

cheers Johnnie

Johnnie, I’ve a copy of Comical Motor from 1970, and Comberhill were advertising a choice of 10!! Pretty much the entire production, I imagine

trucker.blackpool:

Boatchaser:
Haddock Commercials just passed Haddock race course, was a Foden dealer in the 70,s then went onto DAF . Think they were connected to Rylands in Warrington they Seddon Atkinsons dealers

I recall it being called Central Trucks when it was the Daf franchise in the late 70s. Which then moved to Kilbuck Lane in the early 80s and becoming Haydock Commercials and a Scania dealer. The site on the A49 became Robinson Saddlery, later burning down and being rebuilt

T.B

It’s was called Warrington Commerials before it was Haydock Commercials, these a photo with a Foden wrecker outside ( and a dodge for sale inside ) on page 4 of The Haulier around Ashton in Makerfield thread. Photo was put on by Eddie Heaton

Boatchaser:

trucker.blackpool:

Boatchaser:

T.B

It’s was called Warrington Commerials before it was Haydock Commercials, these a photo with a Foden wrecker outside ( and a dodge for sale inside ) on page 4 of The Haulier around Ashton in Makerfield thread. Photo was put on by Eddie Heaton

Here’s the photo that Eddie put on. Got so interested in rereading the Ashton in Makerfield thread I nearly forgot to put it on!

image.jpg

John

Gordon - Ford, Heaton Lane, Stockport.
When the Transcontinental came out they found the cabs to high to go through the garage doorway, but as they were due for demolition soon after with the M60 planned. They relocated to a new place near the Rising Sun in Hazel Grove, only to go out of business there after 4 years.

Stanfield:
QUOTE.
Hiya Steve, I mentioned Rylands a few posts ago. If I remember correctly Chatfields on Th’old road was Rylands, pretty sure it was advertised on the railway bridge.
Here’s a pic of my Dad in his last wagon taken in that yard before it was Chatfields. Think it was mid 80s before it became Chatfields.

Ray (flishflunk) Parker Rosser took over Bloomer Holts wood yard on the ashton old road if you check out the photo I posted earlier you can see the railway bridge you mention,unfortunately I dont remember it being Rylands only Housley Motors and Chatfield.

Great pics John. Brings back memories, as a young teenager, cycling past there nearly every day of the week. Remember Bloomer and Holt changing from two companies to one and then finishing up as Cavanagh (spelling) Timber. Who I believe was their Transport manager who took over when Bloomers went out of business. Parkers didn’t take them over.
As for Rylands, does Rylance ring any bells. Someone mentioned Reliance which got me thinking. Over the years, there’s been several Motor dealers on that site. One of the first that comes to mind was Williams.

Ray

H.J. Prince Ltd. Previously AEC dealers and then VOLVO. Volvo Truck and Bus took over the dealership eventually, now M C Truck and Bus.
Photo is Millbrook Road Southampton, now on Nursling Ind.

Grimshaws on Bury New Road Prestwich used to supply Dodge trucks.
Grimshaws Prestwich..jpg

Bumped up FAO DEANB.

gingerfold:

sammyopisite:

gingerfold:
Yes, MRM, there was a Mack agent in Bolton, and lasted several years. Cannot for the life of me remember the name of it though.

Gingerfold was it CTS or CST as I think it was just initials then Mack distributors Bolton

cheers Johnnie

I think that the initials T and S were in there somewhere, but it might have been LTS (Lancashire Truck Services??). Kenny Harvey called in for a brew just after 6 this morning, but he couldn’t remember it either. He did mention that either them, or someone else in Bolton dabbled in White trucks for a time, I certainly recall Thomas Harwood running a couple of Whites, remembered for their very poor steering locks.

Can anyone remember who the Commer / Rootes Group dealer was in Manchester?

Graham, I think that Boden mentioned them earlier, Tom Gardner Knott Mill and Peter Street. :slight_smile:

John, did that Grimshaw’s garage in Prestwich become Stott’s Motors sometime in the sixties. :confused:
Stott’s had navy blue motors and I think that they also ran a couple of Dodges.

Regards Steve.

Boatchaser:

Warrington Commercials later Haydock Commercials was a subsidiary of Greenwood Transport and therefore ultimately Consolidated Goldfields. This is why Greenwood’s ran a Foden fleet changing to DAF. I am not aware of any connection to Ryland’s, that’s not to say that the wasn’t one somewhere. The salesman in this period was Peter Greatorex who mved there from the traffic desk at Greenwood’s Warrington.

acd1202:

Boatchaser:

Warrington Commercials later Haydock Commercials was a subsidiary of Greenwood Transport and therefore ultimately Consolidated Goldfields. This is why Greenwood’s ran a Foden fleet changing to DAF. I am not aware of any connection to Ryland’s, that’s not to say that the wasn’t one somewhere. The salesman in this period was Peter Greatorex who mved there from the traffic desk at Greenwood’s Warrington.

I say they were connected only because when i left school back in the early 70,s, I went for a job interview at RYLANDS in Warrington but the guy told me that the position was at there Haydock site . Back in them days couldn,t get to Haydock that easily from Culcheth

The BMC dealership in Reading where I did my apprenticeship on their commercial vehicle range. Now under a tower block!

Pete.

Stadium Garage Gosforth ERF Dealership. Minories Ltd Newcastle on Tyne Commer Dealership, Adams & Gibbon Ltd Bedford dealership, Newcastle on Tyne, IIRC The also had a site at Huddersfield, As well as Hexham., Murray & Charlton Austin dealership Newcastle on Tyne. Bells of Ashington Mercedes dealership still going today.Regards Larry.

Did Appleyard end up as Kennings?

Thinking back on the former Dodge/Karrier Motors/Renault Trucks dealer network of the 1980s , I am sure these may be known:

Praills of Hereford
Coventry and Jeffs, Bristol
Cheltenham Commercial Vehicles
Allports Garages, Sutton Coldfield
George Heath Motors, Coventry Road, Birmingham
Wiilowdene Wellingborough
England Truck Sales, Cardiff
Frank Tuckers, Exeter
Whitworths Truck Centres, Shepshed and Darlaston

Other marques/dealers from that era:
Brownhills Commercials - Leyland dealers
Prestage Group (Mercedes) Birmingham
Elt Brothers Birmingham Bedford
Adams of Tipton - Bedford
Hanger Ford Birmingham

mushroomman:
A couple more from the Manchester area.
Sid Abrams Cheetham Hill, Vauxhall/Bedford dealer.
B.& W. Scania, Middleton which I think is now West Pennine Trucks.
Tait’s of Oldham, Volvo agents.
And was it Chatfields just down the road from Belle Vue on Hyde Road. I took a wagon in there once and I think it might of been a Dodge. :confused:
There was another Lex Tillotsons at Newcastle near Stoke on the A34 early seventies, A.E.C. agents.

Regards Steve.

I think B&W Scania were based in Hyde Cheshire (Albert St./Raglan St) initially and they had their name painted on the roof of the building.

They supplied the first four Scania 80’s (4x2’s) tractor units to Draka Foam in Glossop (now Carpenter in Glossop) to add to the Ford D series units they had already. The registrations were TRB221M (fitted with roof air deflector from new), TRB222M, TRB223M and TRB224M. I think they supplied GNE120N, HNF617N, HNF618N, HNF619N and HNF620N before they moved to Middleton but I cannot be sure about this. One of the HNF registrations went on to be the yard shunter.

mushroom man

Stotts were further down through Sedgeley Park on the right opposite the long flattened House that Jack Built ale house, not that I ever partook in said establishment. They always seem to have Commers parked there on a pull-in alongside the main road and outside a row of shops which are still in use. I’m sure there was something in the MEN about Stotts wanting to demolish the building but it was under some sort of preservation order.

We had a fuel account with Grimshaws and went into the office under the Vauxhall advertisment to sign up. The showroom on the right became a Kwiksave and now the whole lot is an M&S (and some other outfit) retail area, the car storage area is now where the M&S wagons unload.

Syd Abrams ended up as Car supermarket place but now is housing which I only noticed when looking on Google recently. Dodge /Commer were well looked after round Manchester as I believe there was a another dealer at Failsworth. Also Italtrucks and (name) Trafford Vehicle Services both at Trafford Park plus DowMAN at Stockport.

Appleyard seemed to be big in Yorkshire they had among others a Nuffield agricultural dealer at Wetherby now under a Morrisons.

The memory fades so I’m happy to stand corrected where necessary.