Container drivers in 80's and 90's

ricky.v:
hello all
hope i’v got all dates right but i was young at the time and only remember a few companys
[Russell davies] [Brain haulage] [Taylor Barnard] [p & o roadways] [Tracto] also like i said [Goodways] [CSM] and
[Armours] i also think there was a firm called walkers had white scanin’s with blue writing.
vaguely remember mair transport also cct commercial out of choats road.
going with dad was better then going to school.

I worked on containers in the 80s for Salina freight out of purfleet.We subbed for a lot of the names above. Got stuck in Swansea when dock strike was on with a lot of Goodways and walkers drivers. They were the days. What about Les Samson any one remember them■■? They had some crap motors.

[I worked on containers in the 80s for Salina freight out of purfleet.We subbed for a lot of the names above. Got stuck in Swansea when dock strick was on with a lot of Goodways and walkers drivers. They were the days. What about Les Samson any one remember them■■? They had some crap motors. [/quote]
I remember Samsons, I worked for him out of his depot on Sunderland docks. Great bloke to work for, treated us like humans. He’s the only bloke i’ve worked for that gave his drivers £100 for Xmas, and that was in the mid 80s. When I started for him he was running Marathons and Ford Cargos but he started buying brand new Scania p112s, the first new motor I ever had. When we got the Scanias he supplied us with a new sleeping bag, portable telly and a bucket with dusters and a tin of Mister Sheen! He also had the motors fitted with night heaters (not standard in those days) and a radio/cassette player. As I said a top bloke to work for. He paid good money as well.
Here’s a pic of some of the Scanias.attachment=0]img143.jpg[/attachment]

Great pics of Sampsons fleet. I only remember the old marathons he ran out of thurrock.Brings back some good memory’s.

Great pics of Sampsons fleet. I only remember the old marathons he ran out of Thurrock. Brings back some good memory’s.

Les Sampson, Did they have a depot in the North East. ? Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Not sure about that.

The old names keep popping into my head. Canute’s ,Atkins , Dr Burt( think they were in same yard as Walkers),youngs transport.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Sampsons had a depot on Sunderland docks from about 1982 till around '86. The manager was John Kerss who used to work for Freightliner at Follingsby and also I believe he was at Waughy’s. After Sampson closed the depot John took it over under the name John Kerss Services also doing container work. Kris Kristenson, Jimmy Jarvis, Drew Wood, Bob and Tony Kelly , and Mick Dempsey are some of the owner drivers who worked for John. Sampson also had a depot on Ipswich docks as well as the main one on the Albert dock, London.

The Furness Withy F10 reminds me of the fabulous pension scheme we had in the group. I worked for Waughs of Newcastle, part of Manchester Liners of which Furness Withy was the parent company. you are correct in saying this later became OOCL. We had the same pension scheme as the ships officers and it was very generous, unfortunately for us OOCL sold off all the transport companies in the portfolio so we had to make other arrangements for pensions :cry: :cry:. Iam now approaching retiring age and wish I was still able to rely on having a healthy pension to see me through. Strangely enough I have worked as “Dedicated Subcontractor” for OOCL for the last seven years!! Regards Kevmac47

kevmac47:
The Furness Withy F10 reminds me of the fabulous pension scheme we had in the group. I worked for Waughs of Newcastle, part of Manchester Liners of which Furness Withy was the parent company. you are correct in saying this later became OOCL. We had the same pension scheme as the ships officers and it was very generous, unfortunately for us OOCL sold off all the transport companies in the portfolio so we had to make other arrangements for pensions :cry: :cry:. Iam now approaching retiring age and wish I was still able to rely on having a healthy pension to see me through. Strangely enough I have worked as “Dedicated Subcontractor” for OOCL for the last seven years!! Regards Kevmac470

hi kevmac,
whatever pension you accumilated at furness withy will still be with you when you retire unless you transfered it into another scheme. if in doubt get an advisor to have a look for you.(sounds like an advert) :laughing:
by the way i worked for a few essex firms,geo.davies&son,brain haulage,goodways and elstran but sampsons left something to be desired.

cheers steve.

hi night shift bri
the owner driver called Bob who worked for John Kerrs was it Bob Elder, he had a scania 111 at the time. i did a trip for him once down to tilbury then across to felixstowe and back to birtley in the eighties. he is now retired
regards
Mick

pollystag:

kevmac47:
The Furness Withy F10 reminds me of the fabulous pension scheme we had in the group. I worked for Waughs of Newcastle, part of Manchester Liners of which Furness Withy was the parent company. you are correct in saying this later became OOCL. We had the same pension scheme as the ships officers and it was very generous, unfortunately for us OOCL sold off all the transport companies in the portfolio so we had to make other arrangements for pensions :cry: :cry:. Iam now approaching retiring age and wish I was still able to rely on having a healthy pension to see me through. Strangely enough I have worked as “Dedicated Subcontractor” for OOCL for the last seven years!! Regards Kevmac470

hi kevmac,
whatever pension you accumilated at furness withy will still be with you when you retire unless you transfered it into another scheme. if in doubt get an advisor to have a look for you.(sounds like an advert) :laughing:
by the way i worked for a few essex firms,geo.davies&son,brain haulage,goodways and elstran but sampsons left something to be desired.

cheers steve.

Steve I was lucky in the late 80s to work for the Ackworth /Onward Group so I transfered into their pension. Although it wasn’t anywhere near the FW pension it was quite good. Unfortunately the depot I worked at closed down in 1992 and a couple of years later the group was sold but the pension is still there for the future. regards Kev. ps. I knew John Kerss
from Waugh’s (Sampsons N/E manager) he later worked at Tyne Logistics when I subbied for them. I hear he is now local manager for Catalyst.

mickd1958:
hi night shift bri
the owner driver called Bob who worked for John Kerrs was it Bob Elder, he had a scania 111 at the time. i did a trip for him once down to tilbury then across to felixstowe and back to birtley in the eighties. he is now retired
regards
Mick

I remember Bob Elder subbing for Sampson. One of the lads got clamped for parking in Routemasters at Felixstowe without paying (Ithink it was “Rapid Fire”) and Bob said it wouldn’t happen to him as he had oxy-acetylene gear in his cab!!! His step son also subbed work,A half chat called Micky Freeman, who ended up working at Port of Tyne when they first kicked off. I believe they were called Tyne Logistics Company then.

Re. DR Burt: Dave Burt is still knocking about.

A Few old Dagenham names:

Bulman Marine - Choats Road
Mw Baker - Choats Road
John Robinson - Choats Road
Suttons Transport - Choats Road
BFI - Chequers Lane
DCD - Chequers lane

There were plenty of o/d’s running out of The Old Coal yard in Chequers Lane.

Balkan & Black Sea (BULCON) - was mainly o/d’s pulling out of Felixstowe.

blimey, few familiar old transport names here.
i first started going out in a truck as a school kid, would have been 1981, and it was all container work. i used to go every friday night after school as it was the days before health and safety. i went with my sisters father in law, “H” who was a night driver on tracto’s.
we either used to do 2 trips to felixstowe and back on a friday night, with the other lads, think there was approx 8 or 9 in total doing this run out of the warley depot on a nightly basis. if we didn’t do felixstowe, we’d just be shunting back and forth to tilbury all night. i had some cracking times back then, used to really look forward to my friday night adventures, along the way i remember alot of brain haulage, (hollywoods) les sampson, t.t.s, geo davies, mair’s, were mairs trucks orange? remember a couple of lime green volvos, f10 i think doing the night runs upto felixstowe, company name escapes me. i used to look forward to my dinner, at trinity park on a fri night, helen behind the counter always gave me extra chips :slight_smile:
and if we made good time, on the last run home back to warley, we’d all dive into the 24 hour caravan/cafe at witham/hatfield.

Hi night shift Bri
Bob would have cutting gear with him!! I mainted his MAN 22.321 when he was doing Italy and he removed the top bunk and fitted kithen cupboards he had everything in the cab. Micky Freeman used to drive Bobs MAN 240 or 280. He was on for Elddis the last time i was talking to Bob
regards
mick

What happened to ACT were they taken over or closed i remember an old bloke who lived near me who drove a mandator for them

chilistrucker:
blimey, few familiar old transport names here.
i first started going out in a truck as a school kid, would have been 1981, and it was all container work. i used to go every friday night after school as it was the days before health and safety. i went with my sisters father in law, “H” who was a night driver on tracto’s.
we either used to do 2 trips to felixstowe and back on a friday night, with the other lads, think there was approx 8 or 9 in total doing this run out of the warley depot on a nightly basis. if we didn’t do felixstowe, we’d just be shunting back and forth to tilbury all night. i had some cracking times back then, used to really look forward to my friday night adventures, along the way i remember alot of brain haulage, (hollywoods) les sampson, t.t.s, geo davies, mair’s, were mairs trucks orange? remember a couple of lime green volvos, f10 i think doing the night runs upto felixstowe, company name escapes me. i used to look forward to my dinner, at trinity park on a fri night, helen behind the counter always gave me extra chips :slight_smile:
and if we made good time, on the last run home back to warley, we’d all dive into the 24 hour caravan/cafe at witham/hatfield.

hi mate,
was h harry cant? i knew him he was on nights for canadian pacific then tracto, if he saw you coming up to have a chat he would always turn round to face you with a light bulb sticking out of his nose and say “quick you got an hanky?” proper bloke dont know if he’s still about.

steve. (ex gds.)

ha,ha,ha. hi steve, yep, h was my sisters father in law :sunglasses:
yep, he is still about, lives up north i believe, he was/is great.
the lightbulb trick was his trademark, it never failed to make me laugh, he was a great bloke used to look after me, i could smoke in the truck, swear, and generally have a good laugh. when i was abit older he used to let me drive the truck around in the yard, help him hook up etc, i used to love going with h. do you remember any of the other lads on nights with h, k.d, c.p joe, big al, bw, ron speedwagon etc?

p.s, meant to add, gds? george davies? did you drive a big daf, maybe a 3300ati?

Kevmac47 you mentioned that John Kerss now works for Catalyst. Are they a north east outfit, I’ve never heard of them or seen any motors with that name on.