Truck dealerships past & present

Something a bit different , i,ve often wondered what some of the present day dealers used to sell & how they came to be , in my area the ones i remember are W Grose - Bedford Trucks , Airflow Streamlines - Ford Trucks , Billows - Volvo , Derek Jones- Scania , Brookside - Dodge , Henly’s - Leyland , Arlingtons - Mercedes , V in line - Seddon/Atk

boris:
Something a bit different , i,ve often wondered what some of the present day dealers used to sell & how they came to be , in my area the ones i remember are W Grose - Bedford Trucks , Airflow Streamlines - Ford Trucks , Billows - Volvo , Derek Jones- Scania , Brookside - Dodge , Henly’s - Leyland , Arlingtons - Mercedes , V in line - Seddon/Atk

Airflow as you say were Ford but as you may know Ford were taken over by Iveco which was a big shock to we Ford Salesmen.Ford used to entertain we salesmen very well i.e.vouchers ,courses, trips overseas etc.No wonder they didn’t make any money.
Airflow did a lot of things and I think they made cabs for J.C.B.

Tony

Sheffield area dealers were Bentley Brothers Bedford, T.C. Harrison Ford, Lodestar AEC, Hallam Commercials Volvo ( taken over by Crossroad Commercials ) Cameron.s Platts Common Scania, Philips Handsworth Leyland ? I carn’t remember the Routes group dealer but Chris Webb will as his brain is a lot more efficient than mine :unamused:

cheers Johnnie :wink:

Pelican were the Foden dealers in Leeds and think they also did Dodge as well,

Around Leeds there was Tate Trucks Ford. Cox & Co Rootes. Wheatley & Whightly BMC. Service Garage ERF. Pelican Engineering Foden. Archbold Truck. Guy and then Fiat / Iveco. Crossroad Commercials Volvo. Cripps Renault.

In Reading, back in the 60’s/70’s when I worked there, you had Hewens (later Morris Garages ltd) (BMC) Reading Garage (Commer, Karrier, Dodge) Vincents (BMC) Horncastle Garage (BMC) Gowrings (Ford) Great Western Motors (Bedford) and Caversham Motor’s who dealt with all types of commercial’s and possibly supplied Seddon’s? All gone now I think.

Pete.

Who remembers the dealership just past Haydock Park racecourse, first it was a Foden then it became a DAF. Can,t think of its name was it poss North West Commercials it was on the A49 opposite the school

East Manchester area during the 60s a company called Pibroch Motors were Dodge agents based on Briscoe Lane the garage is still there today but is now Enza Motors the Mercedes agent who are also in Trafford Park.Albion Motors had a place in Trafford park during the 60s but this is now a Ford car dealer.
And of course there was Seddon whose factory was on Higginshaw Lane Royton Oldham.

There were some hauliers who took on truck dealerships. I don’t know if that was just to get new trucks at a better price or if they made any money by selling vehicles to their competitors in the transport industry. Bartrums of Diss dealt in Seddon Atkinsons at one time and Taylor Barnard were ■■■■■■■ with Barnards the Mercedes dealer at Stowmarket. Wasn’t Eddie Stobart partners with the Seddon Atkinson dealer at Carlisle? Scotts.

Derby and around

T.C.H. Ford. Sandicliffe at Stapeleford Ford, Kays Dodge and others, Oscrofts Bedford,Pickfords Commer,Kennings B.M.C. Dixons Saviem,Knifton,Kilburn M.A.N.( Vehicle agencey was given to Kays and Kniftons kept being in Transport )Hoolys
Notingham,Ford,Blackshaws at Burton, Commer,Mertrucks,Merc.

Tony

I seem to remember a few years ago 75 ish that Stobarts took a Seddon Atkinson dealership in Carlisle. I think they had to give it up for some reason ?

A few from Blackburn .Lancs.

Dunderdale & Yates. B.M.C. (gone).
Cuerdens. Commer. (gone).
Walsh Bros. Ford. (gone).
Cicely Commercials. Seddon. now.Mercedes Benz.
J & S Leaver. Bedford.Still selling cars but under different name,don,t know what it is this week.
J.D.S. Trucks. Renault. Still there.
Loxhams. B.M.C. (gone)

If anyone can add to this list feel free. :slight_smile:

I worked for Albert Chatfield, Ford agent in Hanley where I got to be nightshift workshop foreman.
When I had a Transcon on Brit European that’s where I would take it for a service.
I then worked at Commercial Engineers in Burslem who took on the FIAT dealership when they first came into the country.
We supplied FIAT trucks to Chapman and Ball for their m/e operation, which is where I went after Brit European.
Tillotson Engineers were AEC agents in Newcastle.
Beech’s of Hanley were ERF agents until they moved to Stoke with Barry Davey as manager. (Son of Arthur and Hilda).

In Bradford Bramalls were Fords Tillotsons were AEC and over at Pudsey i think Isles were Leyland now a Daf dealer Chatfields .Both Tillotsons buildings still exist with the last one now owned by Leeds Commercial ERF were Reliance at Brighouse Daf were at Mirfield Northern Commercials now an Iveco dealer at Brighouse Scania were Camerons at Leeds Volvo were at Gomersall Crossroads Commercials now at Birstall

Gilbraith at Accrington used to supply the company I worked for at the time late 60s early 70s with Albion/Leyland /Scammell trucks and they also had a parts department at Botany Bay Chorley for many years. Ossie Tillotsons Trafford Park AEC + Dodge. Chatfields on Ashton old Road Ardwick were Leyland agents.

What was the name of the AEC dealership in Nottingham ?

Anyone remember Taits Transport Services of Haydon Bridge , northumberland , they were main dealers for volvo & also ran a fleet of tippers , 86s 88s , etc . I remember hanging around the yard when I was a kid , dreaming ( stupidly ) that one day I would be a driver. They also had a depot at longtown where they used to build tipper bodies .

More from manchester

Blakes (Blackfriars) Bedford
Abrams (Waterloo road) Vauxhall/Bedford
Hills (Ancoats) Vauxhall/Bedford
Quicks?? (Old trafford) Ford

Ray

mackemflan:
Anyone remember Taits Transport Services of Haydon Bridge , northumberland , they were main dealers for volvo & also ran a fleet of tippers , 86s 88s , etc . I remember hanging around the yard when I was a kid , dreaming ( stupidly ) that one day I would be a driver. They also had a depot at longtown where they used to build tipper bodies .

I can remember Taits, They ran Bedfords in the late 50s doing lime up to Scotland, When they went into their Volvo enterprize they used to display a sign outside their depot at Haydon Bridge with messages for Cawthorn & Sinclairs drivers to call in & collect spares for their depot at Birtley, The good old days when everything was simple Eh, Regards Larry.

Aye , the Bedfords were a bit before my time though , I didn’t appear til 71 , but I do remember the cawthorn motors coming through as we used to live at the west end of the bridge so I used to sit on the front step as a nippa , watching a the " big wagons" go by . Happy days indeed [emoji106]