Transport cafe on A5 at Brownhills

Was it not the Hollies.

charlie one:
Was it not the Hollies.

Hollies was at Cannock I think !

Yes the Hollies is still open at Cannock but I can’t recall the one at Brownhills (apart from the one on Chester Road which I believe is closed).

Pete.

charlie one:
Was it not the Hollies.

I only said the Hollies because of the layout.The toilet at the end of the corridor past the bedrooms.Was the cafe at Brownhills called the Coronation Cafe or was it the Jublllie?Now I’n confused :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

charlie one:
Was it not the Hollies.

I only said the Hollies because of the layout.The toilet at the end of the corridor past the bedrooms.Was the cafe at Brownhills called the Coronation Cafe or was it the Jublllie?Now I’n confused :laughing: :laughing:

Hi ya lads no the Coronation is now the truckers rest at cannock… and the jubilee I think was at the turf Island on the A5 or was it on the chester road at brownhills…No doubt someone will put us right on that one… :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

robinswh’s post sure sounds like the Hollies layout. Sometimes affectionately refered to by the locals as Greasey Lil’s. About 15 to 20 of us used to go there in the early hours of Sunday morning after a lock in, :wink: First time my wife asked for apple pie and custard but the lovely lady serving said they couldn’t do custard at that time. My wife asked if she brought her own would they warm it for her, to which she agreed, no probs. So after that we always turned up duely armed with a tin of “Ambrosia”! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: How’s that for service. :smiley:

wagsie:

charlie one:

charlie one:
Was it not the Hollies.

Hi ya lads no the Coronation is now the truckers rest at cannock… and the jubilee I think was at the turf Island on the A5 or was it on the chester road at brownhills…No doubt someone will put us right on that one… :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Wagsie, & Charlie one !
You got me at it now, driving the car to-day and the Coronation suddenly sprung to mind. Got on here and you’ve said the same.
The one I’m thinking about was on the left heading toward the M5 North bound by a roundabout ? the other one, was on the left before the Hollies.
So, Coronation and Jubilee for sure, but which way round, ? Got a feeling it’s the Coronation at Brownhill, with the long dormitory underneath.
Guess some local lads will put us right, it must be at least 40 years ago when I used it.

Well lads after a couple of phone calls. It seems i was right about the Coronation it is the truckers rest on the A5 at cannock on the left heading west
and the Jubilee was the one on the chester road, at shireoak,brownhills…
The cafe that ( Robinswh ) is on about is the Hollies known locally as greasy Lil’s…Open all night…I too have been in there on a sunday morning after a lock in, Did we go to the same pub, BigG-unit… hahaha… anyway I hope that i’ve sorted that out :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: If not then I’m emigrating :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
All the best lads …Wagsie…

Could have done if you were in Cannock and if you did I would have probably taken you to the cafe in my mini bus! :laughing: :wink: Mind you it was a busy old place at that time of day, mostly revellers, some coming back from nightclubs in Brum. The only place to be if you fancied a bit of english grub at affordable prices! ( can I say that ) :blush:

Wagsie :
Just been talking to a mate who still lives in Burntwood and he said the Jubilee was the one up passed the Turf island that was then a Little Chef and has recently opened again as an Indian Restaurant. :confused: No no! please don’t leave, it’s all good fun!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi ya BigG-unit!!! Have’nt gone yet :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Yeah !! He could be right,it seems there were a few cafe’s in that area between brownhills and cannock,on the A5 watling street and between brownhills and birmingham, on the old A452 chester road… Well I don’t mind being corrected on that score…I do know there was a cafe on the A5 turf island opposite the farm shop, and that was where the little chef was and there was pub come restaurant,which was called the( fleur de lys ) which I do know was closed down and changed into a chinese restaurant and then a indian is that the one he’s on about,thats just down from the turf island on the left going west bound towards cannnock,from brownhills…And there was a cafe on the chester road shireoak, brownhills.went in it as a kid with me dad! It’s still there but has been closed for at least 25/30 years to my knowledge.Anyway thanks for the info BigG-unit!! And ok ok I won’t leave!! :laughing: :laughing:

All the best …Wagsie…

Wagsie :
Glad to here that mate. :smiley: I remember the fleur de lys, used it a few times when we lived at Cheslyn Hay. The old Jubilee is the one with the garage on the side, now selling MG’s. I think it was up by Lew way’s old place but I’m confusing myself now. :confused: Anyway I was talking to curnock on “Old Cafe” thread about the one at Shire Oak but he couldn’t remember the name of it either. My mate reckons it’s been knocked down within the last twelve months but nothing happened since. My favorite in later years, when I was out doing a bit of loading, was the one on the roundabout at the top of Norton Cannes. Was it the Four Wynds or Four Ways? can’t remember! (here we go again) :laughing: Nice little place though but last time I went through there it had gone. :cry: As the old song goes : And will we ever see the like again! :frowning: I’m really down now and to top it all this new site is slower than my old Commers were!! :laughing:

Hi ya BigG-unit!! Well yeah it was the jubilee by lew ways old place opposite the farm shop were the M.G. car sales are.That used to be the little chef…well well It’s about time they knocked it down…Even though it sat off the road it was a eyesore,same here can’t think of the name…Anyway we must have crossed path’s at some point in our live’s… I was always in the four wynds.
in heath hayes top end of norton…In my early days of driving, I drove for M.H.Turner on the tippers,i had a old F86 6 wheel artic tipper.It was great when it tipped the single axle trailer used to pull forward to the unit weird set up :laughing: :laughing: then after that I had a scammell 8 legger…Blue and white they were…And yeah it’s all gone now They did the best dinners around there…Well you lived in cheslyn hay?? You must remember( F.G.Foster ) Freddie Foster… Well I used to knock about with his son warren And i did a bit of driving for him…Anyway Chat later and thanks for the reply…All the best…

Wagsie

Unfortunately this cafe at Brownhills is one of the finer establishments, even though health and environment would close it down if they ever get out of the office long enough to go look. UK truck stops are a disgrace and most should be shutdown and their owners shot. The problem is there is nowhere else to go. Double yellow lines on industrial estates stop drivers parking there, denying them access to nearby pubs and restaurants serving a better quality, although still poor boil in the bag menu. The BP truck stops used to be quite good and kept up a European standard for almost a week before slowly returning to the UK default setting of being served by the toilet cleaner with the grub that got re- microwaved from yesterdays slop. If your looking for somewhere to park-up for the night you need to have done so by 16.00hrs or you’ll find the parking is already full. After that your limited to the biggest and nearest lay-by you can find and dinner is whatever you happen to have in your fridge.

If the UK truck drivers ever get organised, or one of the transport unions ever start representing their members, one of the things that need sorting is parking and truckstops. The country would come to a standstill in 3 days if we all went on strike, yet our contribution to society goes unrecognised and we put up with indifference, open contempt, incompetent managers and ■■■■-poor working conditions while working some of the longest hours in Europe.

Hi wagsie, I remember Turners, they seemed to be everywhere suddenly almost overnight. I don’t know if perhaps they had a contract on maybe a road build or the opencast pits.
In the 70’s we had a job clearing the floortrack from the Leyland factory at Speke and as I only ran four tonners at that time they asked me to get some bigger motors on it. I used a chap who had a couple of dodge four wheelers and I think that might have been Fred Foster but can’t really remember!! :confused: I also had a couple of trailers put in there but the tracks were difficult to load and the job clogged up so we went back to using our three four tonners and kept it flowing. :smiley:

berewic : Have you just got out of the wrong side of the bed? !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BigG-Unit:
Hi wagsie, I remember Turners, they seemed to be everywhere suddenly almost overnight. I don’t know if perhaps they had a contract on maybe a road build or the opencast pits.
In the 70’s we had a job clearing the floortrack from the Leyland factory at Speke and as I only ran four tonners at that time they asked me to get some bigger motors on it. I used a chap who had a couple of dodge four wheelers and I think that might have been Fred Foster but can’t really remember!! :confused: I also had a couple of trailers put in there but the tracks were difficult to load and the job clogged up so we went back to using our three four tonners and kept it flowing. :smiley:

berewic : Have you just got out of the wrong side of the bed? !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No just cheesed off with the lack of parking/washing facilities and the crap state of our truck stops compared with much of Europe.

berewic:
Unfortunately this cafe at Brownhills is one of the finer establishments, even though health and environment would close it down if they ever get out of the office long enough to go look. UK truck stops are a disgrace and most should be shutdown and their owners shot. The problem is there is nowhere else to go. Double yellow lines on industrial estates stop drivers parking there, denying them access to nearby pubs and restaurants serving a better quality, although still poor boil in the bag menu. The BP truck stops used to be quite good and kept up a European standard for almost a week before slowly returning to the UK default setting of being served by the toilet cleaner with the grub that got re- microwaved from yesterdays slop. If your looking for somewhere to park-up for the night you need to have done so by 16.00hrs or you’ll find the parking is already full. After that your limited to the biggest and nearest lay-by you can find and dinner is whatever you happen to have in your fridge.

If the UK truck drivers ever get organised, or one of the transport unions ever start representing their members, one of the things that need sorting is parking and truckstops. The country would come to a standstill in 3 days if we all went on strike, yet our contribution to society goes unrecognised and we put up with indifference, open contempt, incompetent managers and ■■■■-poor working conditions while working some of the longest hours in Europe.

Well the only answer to many of these comments, quotes and statements is to make a big and powerful stand!
you just need everyone and i mean everyone to stop, make a stand for however we can.
then they might start to listen.
if we dont and it may be, it will be too late, we will all be on the dole in a bankrupt country?
Regards T M

berewic:

BigG-Unit:

No just cheesed off with the lack of parking/washing facilities and the crap state of our truck stops compared with much of Europe.

Yeah, fair point, I was only refering to the time of your posting really. :wink:

Cor blimey! I remember the Jubilee Cafe on the A5. I used to stay there regularly on a sunday night in the early 70’s. It had a large dormitory under the cafe. Luckily, on a sunday night it was fairly quiet and I only had to share the dormitory with half a dozen jocks and we could spread out. We used to play cards in the cafe before we retired to bed and with the owner speaking a broad black country accent and the scottish lads with their heavy accents I had a job to understand what was being spoken, me being a southerner.
I do recall that it became a “Happy Eater” some years later.

Although I have been off the road for some 15 years now, I can’t help agreeing with what ‘berewic’ had to say regarding facilities for the drivers in the UK. If it’s got worse than it was 15 year’s ago, then gawd help the drivers of today! :frowning: :frowning:

berewic:
The BP truck stops used to be quite good and kept up a European standard for almost a week before slowly returning to the UK default setting of being served by the toilet cleaner with the grub that got re- microwaved from yesterdays slop.

:stuck_out_tongue: Brilliant, almost a week :wink:

With the Hollies, it took me 25 years to find the toilets. I haven’t used it for a long time but had to do a changeover with a French driver and he told me where the toilets were. I bet he was impressed :stuck_out_tongue: