TUBBYS CAFE?

I remember going with the old chap down south somewhere one Sat morning in the Land Rover to pick up some parts, I’d only be about 5 or 6 I remember bein a smart arse and jumping out before he came round, straight into a puddle right up to my neck, he wrapped me up in a big donkey jacket, straight back in a the motor and him moanin n groanin all the way home coz he d had no breakie,

the one we used to use was ronnies. he ran the garage and his brother ran the cafe. there was another brother who ran the money side and the sister done the cooking. It closed about 5 years ago. And the bit about the family winning the pools rings a bell.its right at the top of the hill about 2 miles north of B.P. crick. I’m trying to think of ronnies brothers name who ran the cafe. they owned that big house to the south of the site and the smaller one on the north side.

could have been john

stobarts took over the first cafe after coming off j18. B.P. is further up. I remember that 1st cafe as they used to put on some ■■■■ shows there. Live ones as well. she cud stick that where the sun didn’t shine. That’s about 15 years ago now.

aye thats the one Dennis, but I’m only going back 20-15 years. knew them well, ronnie and john. mind you the fried bread was like concrete, but apart from that lovely breakfast. used to be in there about 3-4 times a week.

Wasnt the cafe at the M69/A5 junction thats now the posh place called the Aviery cafe at one time . I recall stopping there in the mid 60s

3300John:
Hiya …tubby,s cafe is where the BP truckstop is/was.That place was about as good as the airport on the A38.
Tubbys was still open in 75/76 it was the 0nly time i stopped their. The good thing that it was open 24 hours.
The old cafe was knocked down but when they tryed to rebuild there was big problems.
I can,t remember how things went but the water supply was northampton the sewer was leicester and the rates was
coventry or something stupid. I belive BP paid silly money to buy the land and then spent a fortune to get all the
services into place as all the counties would,nt work together.the cafe closer to the top of the hill was 10 times better.
Geoges was not so good.Malc Harrison made it slightly better and Stobart knackered it altogether.
John

The George Garage at Crick were well known as magicians with ■■■■■■■ engines in the 70s. If you had a problem they were definitely the boys to fix it. Regards Kevmac47.

Kev , any news on the Derry since it changed hands. ? Regards Larry.

Is this one of the cafes some of you are talking about?
It is the (other) Watling St Cafe, just south of the M6 bridge. It is already closed here on Oct 1 1995 and, the Fina signs are painted over. It still stands today, fenced off.

A5+Cafe.jpg

yep, thats ronnies, taken on the north bound side. spent hours in there.

good old cafe that was,was always a lot of swains from strood in there :slight_smile:

and lenham.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Kev , any news on the Derry since it changed hands. ? Regards Larry.

Called in last week Larry, It was nothing to write home about, it might improve as they get more used to it.
I have to say though the tea was dreadful :frowning: :frowning: Sorry I cant be more positive.
Regards Kev.

Yes spent some time in there myself,the jet cafe.
regards dave.

is there any one on here that remembers a transport cafe called tubbys,i was only 5 or 6 but remember my dad stopping here in the early 70’s,but have no clue where it was :question:

GAZ70:
is there any one on here that remembers a transport cafe called tubbys,i was only 5 or 6 but remember my dad stopping here in the early 70’s,but have no clue where it was :question:

Your’e not the only one :laughing: I too remember stopping their as a lad with my old man

Hi

Rememebr it well,was at Crick going south just over the brow of the hill on the A5 i Think…

Used to stop there with my Dad when he was on Brit European mid 80`s,suspect probably closed know.

Good sausage butty that i do recall :smiley:

cheers boys for the info,as any one got any pics i wonder :question:

Think, iirc there was a cafe on both sides of the carraigeway at the top of the hill at a place called stretton upon dunsmore, just about where thw M6 crosses it. One was called Tubbys cafe the bigger one on the south bound side, the one on the north bound side was i think owned by the same bloke but was a bit smaller. I heard a rumour that Tubbys lad opened a cafe on the i think the A426 J20 M1, to Mkt harborough, in a big sweeping layby just after the village of walcote called Tubs cafe, it was open 24hrs, but thats long gone now…

gunnerheskey:
Think, iirc there was a cafe on both sides of the carraigeway at the top of the hill at a place called stretton upon dunsmore, just about where thw M6 crosses it. One was called Tubbys cafe the bigger one on the south bound side, the one on the north bound side was i think owned by the same bloke but was a bit smaller. I heard a rumour that Tubbys lad opened a cafe on the i think the A426 J20 M1, to Mkt harborough, in a big sweeping layby just after the village of walcote called Tubs cafe, it was open 24hrs, but thats long gone now…

Tubby’s was the big cafe on the left going south on the A5 just before you got to the M1.The other cafe you talk about is just north of Tubby’s a mile or so and was the Jet at Clifton -on -Dunsmore and was owned and operated by the Turton family.The cafe and a filling station were on the southbound carriageway and the pumps were run by "Tufty"Turton who literally worked 23 hrs a day(a more obnoxious individual I have yet to meet!)His mother/brother & sister(I think it was a sister)ran the very good and well supported cafe.The north bound filling station was run by another brother Michael Turton and his wife(again on 24hrs)now Mike was a differen’t go to work than his brother,he was always friendly and polite and I dealt with him for a few years(68/71) when I only ran 5 or6 motors.Unfortunately he must have got into some lumber and did some “porridge” in Liecester.But a twist to the tale was when he came out he started work again on the northbound side and within a few weeks won the treble chance on the football pools ,about 70odd £’000.This was a lot of money in circa 72’ and he immediatley packed up work in the family buisiness and went to live in Worcestershire somewhere.He was formally “airbrushed” out of the Turton family and if you ever enquired after him you recieved “a gobfull of abuse”!!! Happy Days.Bewick.