Transport cafe on A5 at Brownhills

The BP truck stops have gone to the same standard as all the other uk cafes CLOSED. MR Stobart owns the one at Alconbury. Georges at Crick was ok if you was starving hungary and thats a trailer park. Shell at West Brom is a Warehouse now. All the purpose built places have closed if only they had all been s…
houses like Lincoln farm the Hollies and the old Populars we could of risked the chance of gut rot. Whats the other option?? a Lay by !!! go through a hedge for a c…p and stand in someone elses. HAAAA now i remember why i gave the job up 10 years early (Good job I saved hard too) .I think if you did a survey of people working 25 years ago there was no other person more dedicated to there job as much as a lorry driver, The one and only requirement we really asked for was somewhere handy to parkup /washup and have reasonable food and not pay with your life savings, And instead of giving they have taken away. But i’m out of it now, and feel a bit sorry for those of you that missed the good times are are stuck with the bad !!!.
John

Took this pic earlier in the year of the Jubilee, (that was) Well this is the one with the car sales at the side !! :confused: :laughing:

This was the Coronation, just out of Brownhills, now the Travellers Rest !!

And the first one we were talking about, the Hollies, still going stong !!

Some things don’t change !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

Thanks for memories BIG G. I was down the A5 earlier this year in the motorhome the M6 was blocked as usual that toll rd is £9 1/2 quid for a m/home.
Another cafe I used quite often was at Hints (I see its bypassed now.)I was doing a lot of bricks out of Wilnecote in 79 and that cafe was handy. It had a Greek
or Maybe Italian theme going on. I think they ran a couple of trucks at one time. But can’nt remember the name but someone will.
While we’er on the A5 going East past Hinkley and over the M69 roundabout The cafe was on the left its a Hotel/conferance centre now Maybe called the Flamingo.What was that called thats a few years back.
John.

The cafe at Hints was MARIA’S John, top of the rise past just Tilcon’s sand hole (formerly Birmingham Truckmix).

Pete.

Amazed that the Hollies is still going strong :astonished:

When I worked for Cadwalladers in the early 80’s, I would often have to pick up running money and permits there that had been brought down by another driver from their depot in Oswestry. You would go up to the counter and give your registration number to one of the women serving and she would pass over an envelope with your number on it.

I know what you mean about the toilets, Wheel Nut. Out the door and turn right to the end of the building :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The parking surface looks alot better than in the 70’s,I almost turned turtle one day with a load of ali cans!

I only remember the toilets at The Hollies being at the front of the building on the left hand side near the main road.
Very often they were in a terrible state and one night I interupted what sounded like two people having a Bonk, surely conditions have since improved :open_mouth: .

windrush:
The cafe at Hints was MARIA’S John, top of the rise past just Tilcon’s sand hole (formerly Birmingham Truckmix).

Pete.

Thanks Pete. That one wanted to stay in the Grey matter and would’nt come out. I remember it was always good food in there and clean. a bit tight for parking as i was on artics.

BigG-Unit:
Took this pic earlier in the year of the Jubilee, (that was) Well this is the one with the car sales at the side !! :confused: :laughing:

HI In the early 70s where they sell the cars(MGs)now Is’ent that where the cafe was and they built the Little Chef on the truck park IICR.■■

There used to be a real dump on the A453 in Measham leicestershire appalling conditions on the few occasions I visited it…its been torn down now I believe.

3300 John : Think you might be right about that 'cos that building sure looks too new for the old Jubilee! Not sure which one had the dormitory under though as I never had need to use 'em. :laughing: