Transport Cafe

Hi Bigal, I remember the Dak at Lesmahagow , Run by Mrs Muirhead, and her sister Jennie? She had a daughter, and two sons .I think her husband was called Tom he had a small farm, the place was very muddy in the winter months but the food was excellent ,beds always clean, I used to stay there quite often in the early sixties, she used to call me Sandy, I didn’t find out until much later it’s the Scots nick name for Alexander,I read in one of the Truck &Driver mags that Mrs Muirhead had passed away . I always remember the soup it was lovely, and nice porridge in the morning. Happy Days. Regards Alec.

ben walker:
What about the Greenhillstairs between Crawford and Beattock, one of the best cafes on the A74,

was that no jock creightons café.?

Could not tell you who actually owned it ,it was always just the Women who worked in it, the Mechanic would probably be able to tell you

Ben.

Hi guys, my first post on here and already I’m asking questions.
Just wondered if any of you were up and down the A74, as was, between about 1952 and 1968 and knew the Merlindale Cafe in Crawford?
When my Dad left the Army, he and my Mum bought the place and ran it during those years. I used to work there after I came home from school, washing up and serving at the tables. Sometimes I even got to act as banksman to help the Drivers park up for the night. It was a fairly hard life for my folks, up at 5am to get the breakfasts cooking and start the early calls, go through the day with passing trade, and then serving dinner in the evening - three courses, mind, and bread & butter. Supper, tea & biscuits at 9.30-10.00, then turn in at about 11.00-11.30 after preparing for the morning. If I remember correctly, dinner, bed & breakfast was 10/6d (53 p.), and you were given a car-park ticket to the value of 2/6d ( 25 p.)
After they retired, they got bored and moved back into the village, where they bought another place, this time B&B only, called The Glengyle.
I have quite fond memories of the place, but I left in January 1961 when I joined the Army, as a boy soldier.

Just a few memories from another oldie, "Keep on truckin’! "

When I was doing Scotch in the early '70’s,The caff I used to call in for breakfast near Crawford I thought was called Elvanfoot.Maybe wrong,it’s a long time ago.

What was the one on the Northbound side of the A74? Seem to remember it had a revolving door, and a nice stream beside the park. Think it was just before the Beattock climb and Ministry pullover place…

I do remember a cafe at Crawford but twas 86 ish when i used that road a lot.

In the 70s i remember coming thro crawford there was a cafe on the southern end of the village on the left hand side was that the one?

The one with the revolving door was the Quarry then, at the top was Elvanfoot just before Crawford.

What was the name of the cafe in Crawford on the left coming south out of the village past the Crawford Arms. always had tablecloths on the tables.

the cafe with the revolving door was the coatsgate at beattock

The cafe with the tablecloths in Crawford is still there, unfortunately they are the same tablecloths :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually it isnt so bad, you still get a fresh pot of tea and saucers, parking is a bit tight unless you are early.

This thread was started a lot earlier than my memories but the best cafes were mentioned in the cafe thread on another page.

London Inn, Kirkpatrick Fleming.
Kirtlebridge. Whistling Kettle
Beattock BP ■■? White double doors.
Coatesgate already mentioned.
Crawford Hotel. Crawford Arms

Brings back memories of travelling up and down the old A74 with the old man. Loved stopping at Coatesgate and Elvanfoot, especially southbound, as you had to cross the busy dual carriageway to get to the cafes. I travelled up the old A74 today from Beattock, through the " hole in the wa", up to Abington. Brought back a few good memories of how it used to be. :wink:

Isn’t it strange, I always remembered stopping at Crawford for lunch on the way up to Paisley. After doing a six o’ clock start from Manchester did it really take over five hours in a Bedford T.K. :confused:

I haven’t been up that way for a while, but I remember the last time I went up there, I don’t know if it was a prank or not but in a field on the eastern side of the 74 the sheep were all ginger, i know that they weren’t natural jock sheep so somebody sprayed them, a bit of self depreciating humour, which is always funny, did anybody else see this or was I imagining it?

newmercman:
I haven’t been up that way for a while, but I remember the last time I went up there, I don’t know if it was a prank or not but in a field on the eastern side of the 74 the sheep were all ginger, i know that they weren’t natural jock sheep so somebody sprayed them, a bit of self depreciating humour, which is always funny, did anybody else see this or was I imagining it?

Haven’t noticed them on the 74 to be honest mate. Just the ones in red on the M8 at the Pyramids in Livingston. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
The cafe with the tablecloths in Crawford is still there, unfortunately they are the same tablecloths :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually it isnt so bad, you still get a fresh pot of tea and saucers, parking is a bit tight unless you are early.

This thread was started a lot earlier than my memories but the best cafes were mentioned in the cafe thread on another page.

London Inn, Kirkpatrick Fleming.
Kirtlebridge. Whistling Kettle
Beattock BP ■■? White double doors.
Coatesgate already mentioned.
Crawford Hotel. Crawford Arms

Elvanfoot & Kirtlebridge were very good, bought your own mug at Kirtlebridge 7 they filled it every time you went in, happy days! Braised steak dinners at the Coatesgate were good too.
Still use the Crawford Arms, free parking but pay your £8:50 & get 2 courses & a pint free & a receipt for parking.
Anyone remember the “old star” south of Lesmahagow? Buildings are still there but it’s been shut a while now.

I passed the Old Star yesterday whilst dodging the queues on the motorway Flip. Used to deliver the beer into it. I might be wrong, but I think the owner was an ex driver. Top bloke.

One of my first driving jobs after the army, was a night trunk from the Old Star to Scotch Corner and back. A quick brew to set me up for my shift and another, more relaxed one, before I set off for home after it. The Old Star was pretty rough by then and closed down later that year, which would be about the end of 92, I think.

This was an agency job. I was driving a brand new MAN 322 wagon and drag with an A-frame trailer, zf-16 box and all the usual trimmings for a standard MAN day cab. After driving Bedford MKs for 12 years, this was an amazing truck. I was also being paid 10 hours at night rate for doing this job, to cover my travelling expenses from near Edinburgh and back.

I thought to myself, as I floated down the road on an adjustable air-sprung seat :open_mouth: , with a steering wheel adjusted for my comfort :open_mouth: , servo assisted brake :open_mouth: and clutch pedals :open_mouth: , power steering :open_mouth: etc etc , I thought 'this’ll do for me :smiley: '. :unamused: :unamused:

mushroomman:
Isn’t it strange, I always remembered stopping at Crawford for lunch on the way up to Paisley. After doing a six o’ clock start from Manchester did it really take over five hours in a Bedford T.K. :confused:

I used to leave home at 03.00 and get up to Elvanfoot for breakfast at about 08.00 in my Mk 2 Atki,aiming to be in Aberdeen by early afternoon.

Andy smg:
Brings back memories of travelling up and down the old A74 with the old man. Loved stopping at Coatesgate and Elvanfoot, especially southbound, as you had to cross the busy dual carriageway to get to the cafes. I travelled up the old A74 today from Beattock, through the " hole in the wa", up to Abington. Brought back a few good memories of how it used to be. :wink:

As I remember Elvanfoot,the cafe was on the Northbound side with a big parking area on the s/b side,and it was a single carriageway.
I vividly remember doing my first Scotch in my DAF 2600,(In my avatar),I had just had brekkies and pulled out of Elvanfoot when a few hundred yards up the road on a layby was a Ministry man with two coppers who pulled me in.
One copper came up to the cab window and said,“If there’s nothing in your logbook yet driver,get something in quick”.
I scratched something in before the ministry man got to me.He was a 5 foot nothing ginger Scot,really full of himself.He proceeded to go all over the truck,on it’s maiden voyage,and he was not happy with one or two things.
Every time he made some comment,I would try and explain what was the reason for whatever displeased him,but he would insist on being right,'til eventually one of the coppers kicked my heel and whispered in my ear,“Just keep saying yes,or we’ll be here all ■■■■■■■ day!”.Oh happy days.

bestbooties:

Andy smg:

As I remember Elvanfoot,the cafe was on the Northbound side with a big parking area on the s/b side,and it was a single carriageway.

That’s why I liked going southbound, cause when you parked up you had to cross the road. I could be wrong, as I’m going back over 30 years, but I thought it was a dual carriageway I crossed with the old man to get to the cafe. I stand to be corrected though, as the memory isn’t what it used to be.