Lost Cafe

anyone remember the frying pan cafe at sparkford on theA30,long gone now though??also the blue hut at basingstoke A30 and the alnight cafe at blackwater near camberly.all good eating houses.

Can anyone remember the name of a cafe on the A41 at Ternhill,nr Market Drayton ? back in the 70’s I used to drop a loaded trailer of synthetic rubber from Maddiston and hitch up to an empty trailer both from the cafe car park,backed on to the airfield,empty trailer back to Cheetham Hill, Manchester.
As I was on night trunk,I never saw the cafe in daylight,so no idea what it looked like,could it had been called The Rosehill?dont know why thats just come to me

I very much doubt its still there,but one never knows??!!

David :smiley:

Last time I passed that way it was still there. “The Castle” rings a bell, but I’m probably wrong.

Chris Webb:

sammyopisite:
I think it was 12/6d on Pickfords/BRS when I started in 67
cheers Johnnie

:laughing:
You were overpaid then,mind you that must have included lay-by lamp money for paraffin.
12/6 would be about right in Sheffield in 67,think I got same at Prestons.

Night out money, meal allowance, :open_mouth: you were lucky.
Gaffer used to give us two bullets for the shot gun and we had to shoot a rabbit if we wanted some snap.

Anon.

:unamused: :laughing: can any one on here remember the nunnycatch cafe just out side of frome on the sheppton mallet road?? fantastic food and i do belive that it was pip ducks sister inlaw or sister that owned it, i think it my still be open but not shaw,last time i was in there they were telling me that they may have to sell up,dont quote me though,and heres another good eating house,CODFORD CAFE on the A36 salisbury to warminster,can remember it when it was just an old wooden shack but never the less excent food and clean toilets/and safe parking,loverly owner to. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:ps, i think now that KATES CABIN on the A1 north bound just north of peterbough has gone, went passed there not so long ago and the place had shut down.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Last time I passed that way it was still there. “The Castle” rings a bell, but I’m probably wrong.

Thanks ROF.

David :slight_smile:

And what about the “take yer pick” of cafes further up the A41 at Prees Heath. I can remember four within a hundred yards, two of which are still there. Sadly, The Sycamore and The Ace are now gone.

Retired Old ■■■■:
And what about the “take yer pick” of cafes further up the A41 at Prees Heath. I can remember four within a hundred yards, two of which are still there. Sadly, The Sycamore and The Ace are now gone.

Never went sight seeing when on nights ROF,it was a long night Manchester-Maddiston-Ternhill-Manchester,no time!!!used to get home just as the sun was getting up!

David :smiley: :smiley:

Hi 5th Wheel , One at Tern Hill might have been THE Halfway …Arthers place ,the nex5t door were all the Yanks went from the camp ,iirc wasGordans or some thing like that ,then there was a little cafe by the Stormy Petal pub ,and one just before the island called the Aorn or the Avery a wooden shed ,and many more towards Prees Heath ,Hope it might help ,Cheers Barry

b.waddy:
Hi 5th Wheel , One at Tern Hill might have been THE Halfway …Arthers place ,the nex5t door were all the Yanks went from the camp ,iirc wasGordans or some thing like that ,then there was a little cafe by the Stormy Petal pub ,and one just before the island called the Aorn or the Avery a wooden shed ,and many more towards Prees Heath ,Hope it might help ,Cheers Barry

There was also one called the Tudor nr. to the A53 at Tern hill.

There was another one which was used by coaches at Prees Heath called The Breckland,its now an Indian restaurant.

Trev_H:

b.waddy:

There was also one called the Tudor nr. to the A53 at Tern hill.

You might be correct Trev,I remember coming down the A53,and turning left at the roundabout,the cafe was on the right on the A41.

Thanks all for your input anyway.

David

There was also the Tower, Rainbow, Woodlands, Bakers, now the Shack, Jays Nest, Aero, Lupin, Dolly Varden and Berts on the A30. The one at Blackwater, the Old Manor, has its own website, with pics, although it hasn’t been updated since 2011.

freewebs.com/oldmanorcafe

Anyone remember the “Plastic Bag” cafe on the A14,nr Alconbury,nick named the Plastic Bag because it was a converted caravan,it has a leaking rooflight,someone had jammed a plastic bag into it to stop the rain dripping onto the table?

Used to call in there on our way down to Felixstowe with Seatrain box’s on board,happy days!!!

David :smiley:

sorry double hit!!!

Graham’s (Woods) at North Petherton - great breakfast stop! Also Langdons - many comfortable nights spent there over the years. In fact, on many occasions mid-week there were more of our lorries at Langdons than there were at home; our boss used to refer to them as ‘Taunton depot’!

BTW - what’s happened to all the Langdons owner-drivers? practically all have disappeared.

Steve

In 1972 I was set a project to Photograph a Transport Cafe as part of my studies at Harrow College. I chose ‘The Lantern Cafe’ I have recently scanned the photographs which are interesting showing lorry park, cafe,staff and customers. I can’t remember the location so was wondering if any member might know? Best Martyn

bev wyatt:
:roll: :laughing: can any one on here remember the nunnycatch cafe just out side of frome on the sheppton mallet road?? fantastic food and i do belive that it was pip ducks sister inlaw or sister that owned it, i think it my still be open but not shaw,last time i was in there they were telling me that they may have to sell up,dont quote me though,and heres another good eating house,CODFORD CAFE on the A36 salisbury to warminster,can remember it when it was just an old wooden shack but never the less excent food and clean toilets/and safe parking,loverly owner to. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:ps, i think now that KATES CABIN on the A1 north bound just north of peterbough has gone, went passed there not so long ago and the place had shut down.

I note your post was from 2013 but I went past Kate’s cabin a few weeks ago and definitely open then, good cafe in its day, I parked there and had a dodgy on a couple of occasions.

Kempston:

bev wyatt:
:roll: :laughing: can any one on here remember the nunnycatch cafe just out side of frome on the sheppton mallet road?? fantastic food and i do belive that it was pip ducks sister inlaw or sister that owned it, i think it my still be open but not shaw,last time i was in there they were telling me that they may have to sell up,dont quote me though,and heres another good eating house,CODFORD CAFE on the A36 salisbury to warminster,can remember it when it was just an old wooden shack but never the less excent food and clean toilets/and safe parking,loverly owner to. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:ps, i think now that KATES CABIN on the A1 north bound just north of peterbough has gone, went passed there not so long ago and the place had shut down.

I note your post was from 2013 but I went past Kate’s cabin a few weeks ago and definitely open then, good cafe in its day, I parked there and had a dodgy on a couple of occasions.

Went past Kate’s cabin last weekend on the way to Stamford and sad to say it is now definitely shut, the windows are all boarded up, I have been told it will be flattened to make way for improvements to the A1 but no idea if that’s correct?

Here are a couple of mysteries for drivers from the 1960’s to solve.

I recall a cafe on the old A30 just east of Sticklepath in Devon. It was at the top of the hill out of Sticklepath and Ramsley, on the eastbound side. It had a great view for miles towards Exmoor but, closed circa 1969/70. It was demolished but, the site is unused to this day. I never understood why it closed, as the new A30 didn’t open until 1987 and, it was always busy. Anyone remember its name? Photos would be even better.

The other one is on the old A34, now the A4130 and, still exists as a craft centre/coffee shop. It is at the top of Steventon hill, near Harwell. Again, name and pics if possible.

Hope these ring some bells.