Lost Cafe

Hello frying pan The Whitehouse Cafe is the name tel no Sticklepath 305. I stayed there in Jan 1964 for nine & a tanner DBB nice clean place good grub it was also a filling station Cheers Larry retired sort of.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hello frying pan The Whitehouse Cafe is the name tel no Sticklepath 305. I stayed there in Jan 1964 for nine & a tanner DBB nice clean place good grub it was also a filling station Cheers Larry retired sort of.

Nine and a tanner? That were dear, night out money was only 7 and a tanner then ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trev_H:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Nine and a tanner? That were dear, night out money was only 7 and a tanner then ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not the firm I worked for Smiles For Miles always paid good expences we got 19Bob in those days plus they paid your lorry parks also you got a bit extra when you had a good week that trip I was on then I went to Bodmin 2 Drops baler twine I loaded fback from ECC at Fowey 16Tons china clay for Oldham & Preston & loaded eggs off Park Road Mts back home to Tyneside Cheers Larry

I think it was 12/6d on Pickfords/BRS when I started in 67
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

:laughing:
You were overpaid then,mind you that must have included lay-by lamp money for paraffin.
12/6 would be about right in Sheffield in 67,think I got same at Prestons.

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

Well now in 1966 I worked for Baxters Road Services in Newcastle & we were getting 21Bob

Lawrence Dunbar:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

Well now in 1966 I worked for Baxters Road Services in Newcastle & we were getting 21Bob

7 nights out was nearly as much as the wages as the basic was £8-4-6d in 67 mating which was 4 wheeler rate
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

Lawrence Dunbar:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

7 nights out was nearly as much as the wages as the basic was £8-4-6d in 67 mating which was 4 wheeler rate
cheers Johnnie

Well in 1968 I got £11-12-10d for a 44 hour week basic on a six-legger.It was £11-7-9d on a four legger.

Chris Webb:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

:laughing:
You were overpaid then,mind you that must have included lay-by lamp money for paraffin.
12/6 would be about right in Sheffield in 67,think I got same at Prestons.

Well in 1964 at Browns Guest House at Hatfield BB 12&6 DBB 15Bob

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Whitehouse cafe was west of Sticklepath on the old A30,it was sold to Eric,the chap that ran the cafe in Lewdown.It was knocked down,then rebuilt into a garage & a building with 2 eating areas,1 for drivers around the back & 1 for the rest @ the front.

It stands on the left side of the bypass heading west @ the top of the hill @ the first Okehampton exit.
Pretty sure that it is a BP garage,not been by it lately.

Had many a good meal in the past in both the old Whitehouse & the new 1 & the old cafe @ Lewdown + some good nights out had @ all 3 during my 10 years driving for N J Grose of St Austell.

Mrs Vanns in Stamford was 7/6 DBB and that is the cheapest I can recall she only took about 5/6 though
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
Mrs Vanns in Stamford was 7/6 DBB and that is the cheapest I can recall she only took about 5/6 though
cheers Johnnie

Was that about same as the Ripley Pig?

anon

IIRC the biggest wage I had as mate at Brady’s was in '67 and was £33 top line,£22 in packet.Eric handled the exces and gave me what was left over at the end of the week( a bit like getting pocket money of yer Dad!) usually was enough for a few pints though!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
IIRC the biggest wage I had as mate at Brady’s was in '67 and was £33 top line,£22 in packet.Eric handled the exces and gave me what was left over at the end of the week( a bit like getting pocket money of yer Dad!) usually was enough for a few pints though!! Cheers Dennis.

How many hours and how many nights out for that Dennis ?
Cheers Dave.

Will:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Whitehouse cafe was west of Sticklepath on the old A30,it was sold to Eric,the chap that ran the cafe in Lewdown.It was knocked down,then rebuilt into a garage & a building with 2 eating areas,1 for drivers around the back & 1 for the rest @ the front.

It stands on the left side of the bypass heading west @ the top of the hill @ the first Okehampton exit.

Had many a good meal in the past in both the old Whitehouse & the new 1 & the old cafe @ Lewdown + some good nights out had @ all 3 during my 10 years driving for N J Grose of St Austell.

Hi Will… Did you have any good nights out in Okehampton…

I think so. Graham ex Gauden Shepherd’s :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes, the Whitehouse was on the Okehampton side of Sticklepath. It lasted until the new road opened in 1987 and was then redeveloped as it is now. There were some pics of olden days in the old cafe and, there are 2 pics just inside the door of the modern one as well.

The one I mean was on the Whiddon Down side of Sticklepath. It has a layby next to the site, where you can look over the fence at the area it occupied. Looks like it will remain a mystery.

Lewdown cafe lasted until after the new bit there opened in March 1993. It was opposite a Little Chef, which is now a house. All the rest has been redeveloped as well.

Others were an old coach cafe at a garage just outside Lifton. The cafe later moved into the garage shop area. Now all demolished.

Wheathill, near Cheriton Bishop, now a house

Black Horse Cafe at Clyst Honiton, now a restaurant.
Harveys, in the layby near Exeter Airport, now deserted.

Lots of motorist caffs as well, like the Beacon Cafe at Fenny Bridges, a terrapin hut, now houses.

bloxotrix:

Will:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hello Bloxotrix,yes we had many good nights out in the town of Okehampton,the parking area was our " second yard ".Friday nights were always the best…

Will:

bloxotrix:

Will:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hello Bloxotrix,yes we had many good nights out in the town of Okehampton,the parking area was our " second yard ".Friday nights were always the best…

Yes Will… Stopped in Okehampton many a time. Used to have Ell of a good time.

The Don Cafe top of the old A465 Glyneath pitch
Winforton transport cafe A438 Hereford-Brecon road.
Little Hereford transport cafe A456.
Loads more when I remember them.
Cheers Dave.