Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

Hi Ron …did you get my email ■■? there’s a bloke on here looking for a ■■■■■■■ expert…your the only one I know !!!

Mah Salahms

:stuck_out_tongue: G,day Backsplice Ow ya goin mate " pop in for a cupa any time I’ve got plenty of wood for the stove , Ron

image.jpg

ronhawk:
:stuck_out_tongue: G,day Backsplice Ow ya goin mate " pop in for a cupa any time I’ve got plenty of wood for the stove , Ron

Fantastic humour Ron!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This Mac was driven by Erick Bowers ,I remember him telling me about a road train he took from DAMMAM loaded with a complete warehouse fabrication of steel girders it was off road way into the desert , the Yanks in charge said they could not believe there eyes :sunglasses: as this Yanky Mac came over the hill in this soft sand track into there compound they thought it was bloody marvellous ? So did Erick !! the back trailer had lost some of the load ? But Erick said he was up front and he did not know what went on behind him , he ask me if I could do something with the spare wheel as it was awkward to remove and refit ? So i fabricated this front carrier and it was a complete success and was still going strong 2 years latter , it was unique and the only one in S/A :wink:

image.jpg

ronhawk:
This Mac was driven by Erick Bowers ,I remember him telling me about a road train he took from DAMMAM loaded with a complete warehouse fabrication of steel girders it was off road way into the desert , the Yanks in charge said they could not believe there eyes :sunglasses: as this Yanky Mac came over the hill in this soft sand track into there compound they thought it was bloody marvellous ? So did Erick !! the back trailer had lost some of the load ? But Erick said he was up front and he did not know what went on behind him , he ask me if I could do something with the spare wheel as it was awkward to remove and refit ? So i fabricated this front carrier and it was a complete success and was still going strong 2 years latter , it was unique and the only one in S/A :wink:

Nice one Ron. Your garage is also looking good.
Johnny

Nice one Backsplice , the one that got boged down is 114. They realy where the pride of Trans Arabia But the ERF s where a much better truck . But of cause 116 Mack is the one for the Shed ! I can see it from the dinner table and think of the SAND Wiches we had in the Sunshine :wink:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here you are again Ron
Mah Salahm

saramat10003 (640x800).jpg

saramat10002 (640x800).jpg

Thanks for your photo Backsplice , that’s Gypsy Dave 114 well stuck in soft sand with the Trombone trailer ,hope you don’t mind me enlarging the shots , Ron

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ron …could’nt help it had to put your photo on again …T/A 116 beside SARAMAT No1 what a pair !!!

image.jpg

backsplice:
Ron …could’nt help it had to put your photo on again …T/A 116 beside SARAMAT No1 what a pair !!!

Nice picture. Those two lorries could recount many a thing if they could speak.
Johnny

Well Johnny every picture tells a story , Backsplice is of the same as myself , the stories are worth printing , it’s good to get them on paper before time runs out !, Mark my son took the photos to S Jones and his mate found them 37 years on, it was to be that the photos where found , Backsplice you are right to say thoses trucks are a couple of Nomads , and to me they just turn the clock back to the late 70s. Ron

You hit the nail on the head Ron …here’s some more kids now grown men .who might remember SARAMAT

Where are you Ron ■■? are you stuck in the shed with a hubbly bubbly ■■? found a couple more for you also bring us back to the top !!!

Nice to hear from you Backsplice, yes I am still down the shed !! I was just about to light up the Hubbly Bubbly , and my tooth fell out can you Adam and Eve it ? Still that’s no problem less to clean Hey !! :unamused: I send you Christmas Greetings from a cold windy day in the old country , have a good one !! :laughing: Ron

image.jpg

Anyone who left Riyadh for Jeddah will remember this descent to the desert floor. IIRC brother Andy took the picture, so that would be Andy Sindstat’s Merc. It’s actually 2 pics, stitched together. Taken about 1980 I think.

John.

Yes John… that is very familiar and I do remember it well … you could certainly get a gear up going down there especially with a bit of weight on ■■? great shot by the way
Mah salahm

Is this the same road but from a slightly different vantage point with me wistfully looking into the far distance and counting the days until the end of my contract.

Merry Christmas and have a Great New year from the Shed , Ron :astonished: :smiley: :smiley:

image.jpg

Hanging over cliff , can’t upload video but looks like Saudi mountains ? Shame cos video shows a lot more of location

Just completed a quiz of ‘one hit wonders’ from the 1970s on Facebook. One of the songs was Anita Ward, ‘Ring my Bell.’ This brought back vivid memories of Dammam Port in Ramadan (which was in the middle of summer in 1979). Trying to keep below dashboard level while swigging water, sometimes waiting for hours to load a container. No air conditioning and humidity 100%.

The ‘ping, ping, ping’ noise in the background of the song was exactly like the reverse warning on the container carriers!

John.