Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

Was the curfew every day Ron? What about Saturdays?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

First of all let me congratulate you Johnny on getting to the top of the page , this is privilege is normally left for ( Backsplice ) !! But of cause I must correct your question, SATURDAY is just another ordinary work day, the weekend starts on a Thursday afternoon and Friday is the day of Worship ,this was respected in every sense of the word , you awoke after a lie in to another red hot day with the sun already at a angle of 45 deg , giving the lads no time to acclimatise , nothing much moved on this day , unless it hade been planned like the North Creek ,we went in the trucks if we where in Jeddah , in Al Khobar we may go to 1/2 moon bay , But if you went into Dammam at 12 noon you may be taken to the front of the crowd to witness the Beheading of infidels who had broken there laws , to go into Khobar at prayer Time the centre of this town stopped as 1000 s crowded on the green grass in the centre of the Duel Carriageway and knelt down to pray , seeing is believing , we not of there faith Carried on as normal Ron

Thanks Ron. I should have known it was Friday. Witnessing beheadings couldn’t have been great.

jsutherland:
Thanks Ron. I should have known it was Friday. Witnessing beheadings couldn’t have been great.

Johnny I never did see any of that ? The people sounded there car horns , at 12noon when this awful act happend !! I certainly heard that ,There was enough of that on the roads Ron

A privileged few of Western Women have been driving in Saudi for years ■■ All be it !!! Behind the wall of almost a city ARAMCO , this place is just so civilised it’s incredible you could get a full English and Pork joint etc etc , to think it’s in the middle of a different world, When you ( step ) drive outside of the compound you literally take a step back in time into crazy world that we lived in ,drivers who can’t wait in a queue they will go on the opposite side of the New duel carriageway to get round an obstacle , there was no common sense in Saudi !! thank god our Brit drivers had good sense ,Steering out of trouble , ARAMCO Looked after there workforce mainly American and Brit we had a contract with them and had a pass to enter there many Guarded gates to different areas , getting to know the girls ,and fixing up cars so they had there own Wheels , we drove them out on many occasions and invited them to our camp for BBQ s and swimming , It was good for them to get out and see our world down the Abqake rd ,Now the change has started and the women I hope will drive better than the men ■■ Without the Niqab They can’t drive worse can they ■■ Ron

I must admit we used to play up in Alkhobar , if we could not beat them join them , seeing the car drivers ? Pulling up when the lights changed to Red they would stop the other side of the x roads !!! ( As if to say I saw the light ) it was amazing, at peak times in Jeddah some of the x roads had no lights the horns would be blowing that much as they crept across the cross roads until it was choca block , this was at the top of our street, The cop on duty would hit the car roofs with his truncheons going mad trying to disentangle the traffic , to witness this was Just brilliant , latter on they actually cut off the horns with bolt cutters from these impatient drivers and there was a big pile horns on the road I mean a pile ,( you use it we will cut it off !! Of cause our artics added to this chaos , our villa was in the old town right in the thick of all, this, but we where sitting high making sure there was nobody was under the trailer ? During Hajj the Millions pilgrims where absolutely every where as we pulled away from the docks you had eyes up your Rs , it looked as though it had been Snowing the red Hot sun on white gowned pilgrims with shaven heads was like a scene from another World , absolutely amazing , Ron

I thought the F/1 was brill Ron. Ps. I apologise for comments made , Over and out

OK guys, this topic has been reported, so here’s how it works…

I’m always prepared to be wrong, but I’ve just spent time reading the last couple of pages of something that I can’t referee or contribute to simply because I wasn’t there.

However, from the TN forum’s point of view, a couple of things need airing…

There seems (to me) to be some common ground between kenb, ERF-NGC-European and ronhawk, which is great.

There seems (to me) to be some disagreement somewhere between the same three members, which makes for healthy debate as anybody’s memory might not recall everything that’s being mentioned by all contributors. There’s no problem with this either… so far so good. :smiley:

The thing that needs pointing out is that here’s no place on this topic (or forum) for lies, backbiting and petty personal stuff, so that nonsense has to end here and now please.

I’m not singling anybody out at the moment, because sometimes things can get a little heated or out of hand, which is perfectly understandable amongst grown-ups, so this is just a polite request to all concerned.

Anybody who doesn’t heed the polite request could find that their posts might need to be approved by a Moderator before they can be seen publicly, which will (sometimes considerably) delay those posts from being visible when they get posted.

Let’s not go there eh? :wink: :smiley:

good times gone by , Ron

ronhawk:
good times gone by , Ron

Just to say Thanks to Mirlin for giving me a jump start , on this thread, it’s triggered my brain back to those years where the sun blinded our memories of Dear old ENGLAND ,the best country in the World . I know it was not all in high ratio ,but bloody hell what a drive it was for me , thanks to all that have contributed from near and far and that land down under ,S Jones reunion is coming up so there may be something to report ? Ron

When I worked at S Jones meeting Ernie Hathaway at the Dilk pub Aldridge he said was going to the docks in Liverpool on the Monday morning ? I asked him if he would drop off a suite case for my wife’s Sister at IM Marsh College Liverpool , as that would be great ! No trouble Ron put it in the truck ! I went to work on the Monday night and checked Ernies truck ? The case was still inside the cab ? It had not moved ! I checked the next night it was still there Apparently Ernie had had a heavy weekend , it eventually got there , Ernie was a good looking great kid , Ron

The maps below have been posted on Face book by YOYO,s son Dean , I find them very interesting ! I just love the way he marked up Tief BIG HILL Hope he dose not mind me putting them on this Thread , they certainly where the pioneers of T/A they give the exact locations that the lads drove to with the ERF NGC,s But I must add that the conditions that they took on where unbelievably Hot ,Trips included Night & Days away , the temp in Saudi in the summer can reach 120 deg F , there is talk of death valley in the ,US ? Having driven there it is comparable , but to WORK in KSA with trucks and little food , for a living is certainly worth Praise indeed . I can’t help giving time on this thread to commend all that worked there . Thanks to Yoyo and Dean for the maps , Ron

image.jpg

This old eyesight isn’t what it once was. Are the red & green lines actually a part of the map print? Or is that something added later by Yoyo :question:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpega fuel tanker pulling a container :laughing:

Was sent these pics today. Not the best quality and i dont know if they have been posted before.

sjones2.jpg

sjones3.jpg

sjones1.jpg

sjones.jpg

Seasons Greetings from the SHED , :open_mouth: I wander if Eric Bowers has got the corect number for the Plate ? Or anyone else ■■ The photo will be updated when finished Ron

image.jpg

ronhawk:
Seasons Greetings from the SHED , :open_mouth: I wander if Eric Bowers has got the corect number for the Plate ? Or anyone else ■■ The photo will be updated when finished Ron

Excellent Ron

Well — Vielen Dank , Johnny , Ron :wink: