Tramping versus Home Every Night

RIPPER:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The panic/stress of a day person when they might run out of time compared to the tramper thinking about which pub to park up near.

mrginge:
The panic/stress of a day person when they might run out of time compared to the tramper thinking about which pub to park up near.

Yep the amount who don’t have the brains or balls to work out when their time is running out and then phone boss “I’m running out of time so I’m heading back!” :unamused:

mrginge:

Aye, but you trampers have to sleep in a tin box as an unpaid security guard after eating your Ginsters pie, having a wet wipe wash and waking up to crap in a carrier bag.
I like ‘me own bed’’ me. :sunglasses:

(Just thought I’d jump in before the day men do :laughing: )

Home most nights now.
Still got me kit in the cab though,and still enjoy the odd night out.
Like to do as much of Friday’s work…On Thursday,if possible.
Camp on the doorstep,Thursday night…for a relaxing run back to base on Friday.
Then done.

I did nights out for thirty years, longest I was away on one trip was 107 days or three-and-a-half months, and I would still do nights out if it meant an evening in an Autohof or a Centre Routiers, but I grew to hate doing them in the UK so I stopped doing them a couple of years ago.

Although I do still sleep in a tin box. :wink:

Never done a night out, just never needed to, I am either on multi drop or night trunk, so it’s never come up

mrginge:

Yeah terrible getting home every night having a nice shower and warm cooked meal sitting in my comfy chair watching TV, going to the toilet in a nice clean bathroom before clambering into my own bed next to the missus. Much prefer to be in a layby ■■■■■■■■ in a bush being rocked by every passing vehicle, sitting there wondering if my curtains will still be intact and whether there’ll be enough fuel left in the tank to make it to the petrol station.

Conor:

mrginge:

Yeah terrible getting home every night (takes too long and uses fuel) having a nice shower (nice showers in most of the main truckstops)and warm cooked meal (So you can’t get a cooked meal on the road?)sitting in my comfy chair watching TV (Nice and comfy laying on my bed watching TV/Movie in my lorry), going to the toilet in a nice clean bathroom (Again, most truckstops toilets and showers are kept clean) before clambering into my own bed next to the missus. (Always sleep better in my lorry, my missus snores like a bloke) Much prefer to be in a layby (No…plan it so i park in a truckstop) ■■■■■■■■ in a bush (Crap before i get there)being rocked by every passing vehicle (Never park in a layby as per previous answer), sitting there wondering if my curtains will still be intact (Don’t pull a curtainsider anymore) and whether there’ll be enough fuel left in the tank (Not my fuel, no layby) to make it to the petrol station. (Put petrol in it it won’t go anyway)

To sum up…each to their own, if you plan it right you get all the advantages you have by going home without the missus…bonus :smiley:

horses for courses, in 40 yrs at it I’ve done both . in the day I loved tramping and the crack on nights out. pontefract,paisley,silvertown to name just a few gooduns. day work was great as well when I worked for a own account company, average 45 hour week 2 mile from home. I retired 4yrs ago aged 55 and to be honest if I saw the inside of a lorry again I would be very disappointed in myself.

but saying that I wouldn’t mind a little van job a few days a week…

RIPPER:

Conor:

mrginge:

Yeah terrible getting home every night (takes too long and uses fuel) having a nice shower (nice showers in most of the main truckstops)and warm cooked meal (So you can’t get a cooked meal on the road?)sitting in my comfy chair watching TV (Nice and comfy laying on my bed watching TV/Movie in my lorry), going to the toilet in a nice clean bathroom (Again, most truckstops toilets and showers are kept clean) before clambering into my own bed next to the missus. (Always sleep better in my lorry, my missus snores like a bloke) Much prefer to be in a layby (No…plan it so i park in a truckstop) ■■■■■■■■ in a bush (Crap before i get there)being rocked by every passing vehicle (Never park in a layby as per previous answer), sitting there wondering if my curtains will still be intact (Don’t pull a curtainsider anymore) and whether there’ll be enough fuel left in the tank (Not my fuel, no layby) to make it to the petrol station. (Put petrol in it it won’t go anyway)

To sum up…each to their own, if you plan it right you get all the advantages you have by going home without the missus…bonus :smiley:

:laughing: Don’t you just love these types who think they know everything (about everything :unamused: ) but in reality know the far end of ■■■■ all eh.
I’d have thought even Conor :open_mouth: would have been deterred from making a ■■■■ of himself after I set the bait in my last post.

Some of these daymen/nightmen have a maximium of maybe 5 nights out or so in their carreer, and spend them exactly as Conor has just described in his infinite wisdom, so they think we are all as stupid as they are themselves.
Here’s a reality check guys, most of us have more sense and initiative rather than live like that, we are trampERS …not TRAMPS. :bulb:

Conor:

mrginge:

Yeah terrible getting home every night having a nice shower and warm cooked meal sitting in my comfy chair watching TV, going to the toilet in a nice clean bathroom before clambering into my own bed next to the missus. Much prefer to be in a layby ■■■■■■■■ in a bush being rocked by every passing vehicle, sitting there wondering if my curtains will still be intact and whether there’ll be enough fuel left in the tank to make it to the petrol station.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it must be quite an achievement doing that when your on a night trunk to lockerbie and back… :open_mouth:

I get to use my own shower rather than have to queue up for one that’s been used by a hundred other blokes over the last 24 hours and have to hand my keys in as some form of deposit in case I decide to run off with the shower key. Wake up in the night and I also get to walk across the landing to the toilet rather than have to put my shoes on get out of my truck.

Also have no stressing about getting back to the depot. That’s for the planners to worry about. I run out of time then they have to sort out getting me picked up which they’d rather not do. So it’s more stress for them than me.

I did enjoy tramping but I wouldn’t do it again.

Home every night…

For me. Same as others on here I’ve done more nights in cabs than I care to remember. 3 months in Europe from Denmark to Portugal at a time when the work was good. I’ve slept by lochs on the way up to the Kyle of Lochalsh, the back streets of East London when you could park around in towns and many town centres back in the day when you could do so.

I like my warm comfy bed, my own personal shower that hasn’t been used by 50 other sweaty grunts all day with lord only knows what infectious skin deseases, the ability to walk around without banging my head, finding things easily without moving half the cab around to find a pencil, not being woken up by some numpty 'ollering at the top of their voice, fresh air coming in through my windows instead of the stink of other mens ■■■■, a fridge full of good wholesome food that didn’t cost me the earth to put there, access to a clean fresh smelling toilet that hasn’t been blocked by some idiot with half a bog roll but, best of all is the access to my PC so I can type wonderous and amazingly interesting factually correct posts on Trucknet.

robroy:
Some of these daymen/nightmen have a maximium of maybe 5 nights out or so in their carreer, and spend them exactly as Conor has just described in his infinite wisdom, so they think we are all as stupid as they are themselves.
Here’s a reality check guys, most of us have more sense and initiative rather than live like that, we are trampERS …not TRAMPS. :bulb:

I don’t spend mine like that because if I night out its in a truckstop or services however being on nights I pass plenty of truck drivers who do.

Conor:

robroy:

I don’t spend mine like that because if I night out its in a truckstop or services however being on nights I pass plenty of truck drivers who do.

Yeh ok…won’t argue with that, you’re referring to the ‘‘Endurance test type job’’ crew. :unamused:
I’d have lasted about a week on tramping doing it like that, although I aint over keen on MSAs either, overpriced crapholes, where I’d imagine you’d get very little sleep.

4on4off, three nights out a week with no commuting every day, suits me and my family.
when on days it could be anything from ten to fifteen hours but usually twelve hours, with a 35 minute each way drive to and from work, it was eat be grumpy, sleep then work. I find now the work life balance is far less, stressful as do my family.
plus the time off is great.

I did tramping for 9years as a owner driver and I ended up hating it. Stuck in a area about the size of a double bed (E10’s old Daf 95 F12 Fl10 & a day cab c series ERF), In the end I dreaded leaving Sunday afternoon. When I packed it in, in 2000 I moved to the east midlands been doing supermarket & high street chain work since then. A bit brain dead work but pay’s well on agency and home every night without the pressure.

Have done little bit of general haulage work for a favour to the agency with nights away, nice for a change but I wouldn’t want to go back to it. At least you have more space now.

4 nights without ■■■

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk