Tramping

Can anyone tell me what tramping is? :slight_smile:

Yes Mick I am a tramper.

It is when a driver gets to sleep in the luxurious suroundings of his employers or his own cab if owner driver, whilst tramping up and down the roads of this or indeed any country in the pursuit of a living wage …or not in some cases.

Living in the truck basically mate for the duration of your working week/s etc.

My first day of 4 off today and it usually takes me two days to wake up properly.

Im sure others will expand on my limited blurb :wink:

thecoder0:
Yes Mick I am a tramper.

It is when a driver gets to sleep in the luxurious suroundings of his employers or his own cab if owner driver, whilst tramping up and down the roads of this or indeed any country in the pursuit of a living wage …or not in some cases.

My first day of 4 off today and it usually takes me two days to wake up properly.

Is it something you enjoy? Or is it a money thing?

Walking down the road drinking meths and scrounging â– â– â– â–  .

B1 GGK:

thecoder0:
Yes Mick I am a tramper.

Is it something you enjoy? Or is it a money thing?

I think its a state of mind to be honest a kind of a love hate relationship if you know what I mean sometimes I hate it sometimes I love it …but on the occasions when I am not away its not long before I miss it…

by the way it certainly aint for the money :laughing: although the job I am on at the moment is 4 on and 4 off so its not too bad…the longest ive been away is three weeks.

Again I guess its not for everyone and you kind of have to like your own company and be a bit of loner in some ways. :laughing: :laughing:

paul@midway:
Walking down the road drinking meths and scrounging â– â– â– â–  .

…no your confusing tramping with what a National Express driver does on the way to work! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :laughing:

pay:
Advantages it used to be slightly better pay being a tramper, with the addition of a night out allowance (ÂŁ17- ÂŁ25 p/n) and a possible meal allowance (ÂŁ2-ÂŁ5 p/d) you could maxout you working week within the 56/90hrs and max your income
disadvantages being away from your family for up to 4/5 nights a week, having to pay your parking/toll fees and claim it back from your boss in NEXT weeks pay. and being an unpaid security guard for your truck while its parked, and living in a space smaller than a convict in a prison gets to sleep in.
but IMO with the advent of the RTD etc, i recon your restricted slightly, so IMO if you take off the N/O and meal money which would be around ÂŁ100p/w? i`d rather do without the addtional cash, and have the home life, while sleeping in my own bed

Its a single mans job bascially.

Can’t really say it’s a single mans job, but I suppose most would. I have been tramping for a looooooooooooong time and don’t really see me finishing it any time soon, although I have found I like to sneak home in between trips now which is kinda new for me.

It’s as much a vocation as anything else.

The biggest advantage is that you get to keep your own truck and dont have rigid start and finish times. You can park where you like and get up when you like :wink:

These jobs with precise start times are too much like factory work for me.

jammymutt:
Its a single mans job bascially.

I must tell my wife and kids that…

I just got back into it after 15 years local sort of, it reminds me of why i started driving trucks ( touring the country and gettig paid for it)
i am enjoying it for now and wife don’t mind cos she is retired and always busy with this and that.
as for living in a small space thats just mind set stuff,your “office window” view changes everyday which cant be bad and i have woken to some really nice scenery and sunrises which i dont get at home.
prob the best reason is i dont do r.d.c.s lol :smiley:

thecoder0:
Yes Mick I am a tramper.

That’s nothing, I’m a tramp! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

harry your sitting on my bench give it back its mine :laughing:

You don’t have to travel far to get to work - a couple of feet at most (less in my small abode :unamused: ). And you can experience the fine cuisine and luxury surroundings offered by our plentiful service areas.

I find that at the weekend, I seem to close down, just want to sleep - but then spend most of Sunday washing and packing stuff for the next day! It’s all consuming - you either tramp, or have a social life.

If you’re already single - expect to stay that way! :cry:

It’s the best kind of truck driving,as long as you have a good dispatcher to work with.

Hmmm, Yes. Despatchers. Hmmm! :laughing:

Got given a nice snip load from Calgary down to Wausau, WI, then a load from the same place home. Perfect!

Then another truck got empty ahead of me so I then got lumbered with lumber to South Dakota then reload Bobcat plant out of Bismarck for Alberta and BC.

Ah well, variety is the spice of life. :laughing: