The T word

No not those things :unamused: but tramping, trampers of old used to leave the yard Monday and then after getting that load off they would go to wherever the next load took them, sometimes they organised these loads themselves, they were probably the ones parked up for the night on the seafront during the summer :sunglasses: Personally I never referred to having nights out in the UK as tramping, probably because I wasnā€™t tramping :laughing: but just going up the road, tip, reload and home again.

I did do some tramping in Europe when I was a subbie on TFE, me and my blue EEC book once spent 13 weeks out of England, that was mental, I had to go through my pockets and see what currency the change I had in them was to work out which language to order my morning coffee in after the 3rd week :laughing:

So anyway, are you lot really tramping, or is it just another way of saying that you have nights out?

Nights out in uk and tramping when Iā€™m in Europe for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, because by the end of the 3rd week Iā€™ve just about run out of clothes and feel like a tramp. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve always thought of tramping as more than three nights a week, wouldnā€™t mind doing a couple of months at it, especially in the summer.

darkseeker:
Iā€™ve always thought of tramping as more than three nights a week, wouldnā€™t mind doing a couple of months at it, especially in the summer.

at least in the summer there is more daylight in the evening so youā€™ll see that car parked next to the loading bay :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Cruise Control:

darkseeker:

at least in the summer there is more daylight in the evening so youā€™ll see that car parked next to the loading bay :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Nah, Iā€™d be parked up for the night by the time it got dark, hopefuly.

darkseeker wrote:

at least in the summer there is more daylight in the evening so youā€™ll see that car parked next to the loading bay

Now thatā€™s comedy!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rat

I always thought ā€œtrampingā€ was a seafaring term as in in ā€œtramp steamerā€ etc., where there
was no fixed schedule or itinerary.
So if you are off say multi - dropping round the country for three or four days on the trot itā€™s
not exactly tramping, especially if you already know about any return load, if you have one.

axletramp:
I always thought ā€œtrampingā€ was a seafaring term as in in ā€œtramp steamerā€ etc., where there
So if you are off say multi - dropping round the country for three or four days on the trot itā€™s
not exactly tramping, especially if you already know about any return load, if you have one.

More like not bathing for days on end, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in drinks bottles, wearing the same clothes for a week, TRAMPing :laughing:

I always assumed ā€œtrampingā€ was

parking up in Bristol one night then parking up the next night in Edinburgh then parking up the next night in St Ives Cornwall, that sort of thing for week at a timeā– ā– ?

pete-b:

axletramp:

More like not bathing for days on end, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in drinks bottles, wearing the same clothes for a week, TRAMPing :laughing:

yes and having a dump in back of trailer , stopping in industrial estates cos you cant afford to stop on motorway services you live like a tramp so yes its tramping :smiley:

sean g:

pete-b:

axletramp:

yes and having a dump in back of trailer , stopping in industrial estates cos you cant afford to stop on motorway services you live like a tramp so yes its tramping :smiley:

Sleeping in a service station is more tramp like than sleeping in an ind est, tramps sleep in there own ā– ā– ā– ā–  and sleeping in a service station is basically the same

pete-b:

I do thatā€¦even though Iā€™m home every night. :open_mouth: :smiley:

sean g:

pete-b:

axletramp:

you live like a tramp so yes its tramping :smiley:

What about drinking basic brand lager, sleeping on benches, rifling through bins for old McCrappy Dā€™s and sniffing brass cleaner?

A tramp probably wouldnā€™t be sitting thinking ā€œdo I have a dump in a cold dark container? or do I go on the catwalk with the rear light on?ā€
A tramp would go in Mc Donalds :blush:

pete-b:

axletramp:

Excuse me! :open_mouth:

Lorry drivers do not ā– ā– ā– ā–  in bottles, it is van and car drivers that do this.

Lorry drivers ā– ā– ā– ā–  in the lorry parking area at motorway services. :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya ā€¦it looks like this site has gone of trackā€¦can i say tramping drivers never had a dump IN a trailer as you would only
go tramping with a flat trailer.you would have most likley of stopped in digs.(sleeper cabs was,nt in use them days.
you would,nt have piā€¦ed in a motorway parking area as there was that many tsp cafe,s you never stopped on a motorway.
the plastic bottle was,nt ivented when drivers was doing real tramping work.and in those days you could stop at any toilet
by the roadside without getting a parking fine (traffic wardens was,nt invented)
drivers did,nt drink larger they would drink newki brown as the breathaliser was,nt invented. and large was only about 3% piā€¦
driver,s know as trampers would only know where they was going after a load was found,i lived in the Stoke area so been
central in the UK .you could stop of going passed home but not always.there was always plenty of work(there was no containers)
and not many pallets so hand ball was the norm.flat trailers was always used as there was no curtain siders.as large objects
was lowered down from cranes. most times if carring sugar the load come out of the ship in a net by a crane landed on your
trailer and the driver handballed the bags(12 stone) into place.if you got lucky you had steel sheet that was landed and chained.
I could go on but i hope you ,ve got some idea now.
John

3300john has just given us an insight as to how the job used to be years ago.

When I started driving (in 1976) I was constantly being told by the ā€œolder endā€ drivers that the
job wasnā€™t anything like it was when they started.

So, 3300john, it would be interesting to hear what the ā€œolder endā€ told you when you started.
Any chance of a few tales?

joedwyer1:
A tramp probably wouldnā€™t be sitting thinking ā€œdo I have a dump in a cold dark container? or do I go on the catwalk with the rear light on?ā€
A tramp would go in Mc Donalds :blush:

ā€œIā€™m a trucker you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I shake my little touche on the catwalkā€

axletramp:
3300john has just given us an insight as to how the job used to be years ago.

When I started driving (in 1976) I was constantly being told by the ā€œolder endā€ drivers that the
job wasnā€™t anything like it was when they started.

So, 3300john, it would be interesting to hear what the ā€œolder endā€ told you when you started.
Hiya axletramp i started driving leagally in 72 at the age of 21.i have was riding shotgun from the age of 4.
when i was 5 i could tie dollys as shown by my uncle.one of my uncles had 4 lorries to with his brother in laws
driving for him so i always had someone to go with. when i got older i had a pal in the street i rode with.
at seventeen i was trusted to drive the trucks on unfinished motorways. at 18 i was driving empty trucks
on motorways buy the time i was 20 i was just doing it at weekendsā€¦Untill about 1971/72 most drivers stayed
in digs. when i did london in 72 i always parked in wood lane. The lorry park was right oppersite the BBC on wood lane.
the lorry park later moved onto the waste ground behind the shops on shepards bush.when on wood lane we always
used digs. we was parked up at 4.30 stroll into the digs then leave the digs about 7,30 next day and stroll back to the
truck for 7.45,after a full breakfast.That all stopped with sleeper cabsā€¦By 1976 i was doing general haulage and was going
all directions. one sunday i picked up a trailer in stoke for dover changed in dover and picked up a tilt for west wales.
tipped wales Tuesday and run to halifax empty loaded a tractor back for dover changed in dover for sheffield tipped sheffield
and run to stoke saturday changed trailer for Dover monday.sometimes you could get spuds in dover for Glasgow market next
night.I had a erf/180 gardner at that time and a plywood board for a bed.
John

I know of a driver who crapped in the tipper body on a load of shingleā€¦and forgot that the load was for a driveway; As he helpfully spread the shingle down the drive, the lorry developed incontinence (in front of the customer!) :laughing: