A tramping mindset

Just curious to see if it is just me or anyone else is the same, when I am tramping I will happily do 12 hrs per day and even consider a reduced every now and again. However when not tramping like this week, I struggle to get through a 9 or 10 hour shift. Just wanting to finish and get home asap. The shift drags and even if I have plenty of drive time left I just cannot be arsed to do another drop past 4pm. It is all in my head as I am not physically tired its I just cannot do it willingly. Be interesting to see anyone elses thoughts.

99% on here are money mad , b/h , o/t , extra shifts , often threads about how can I do 2 6 day weeks in a row so my money would be on they’d rather do 15 hrs on days ( and hopefully run out of hours and get a night out of it ) than do 8 hrs
Me I don’t want to work full stop , I’m happy as Larry at home

It makes sense to me,if you have to be away from home,then I would do 12 and maybe even 9 hours rest.But when I’m not tramping,then 9 hours is enough

A few triple expressos should do the trick or extra shots .

Due to how they worked you on a my first transporter outfit, a dodgy as hell bloody mob of wide boys if ever there was one, i ended up working the complete opposite way.

Their mindset was to keep you out because as you were away you would work longer hours than if you were going home.
I worked the other way, if kept out all i’d be thinking of is where to park for a relatively enjoyable night out, wasn’t going home so nothing to strive for, couldn’t give a tuppeny one whether the job got done, i’d be thinking of a safe quiet ■■■■■■■■■■■■, then a nice dinner and pint or two at a country pub preferably.

If chance of getting home i’d shift heaven and earth and work right up to the last minute if it would get me back.

Dayman now, generally the shifts are between 7 and 11 hours but noew and again it’ll creep up to 13, a 15 is maybe once every couple of years, not too bothered how it works out so long as i get to go home, the days don’t drag because the job is interesting enough and still enjoy my work.

Juddian:
Due to how they worked you on a my first transporter outfit, a dodgy as hell bloody mob of wide boys if ever there was one, i ended up working the complete opposite way.

Dayman now, generally the shifts are between 7 and 11 hours but noew and again it’ll creep up to 13, a 15 is maybe once every couple of years, not too bothered how it works out so long as i get to go home, the days don’t drag because the job is interesting enough and still enjoy my work.

Are you still on transporters?

Done my last tramping week on Saturday, that’s me I’m done. Had a few jobs offered decided agency day shift probably pallet line distribution mixed with general,
5 minutes up the road £15 a hour, why not.
An yes I know the days will feel longer an thats with a 7am start
Brain plays tricks on you.

Daf245:
Done my last tramping week on Saturday, that’s me I’m done. Had a few jobs offered decided agency day shift probably pallet line distribution mixed with general,
An yes I know the days will feel longer an thats with a 7am start 6

Never liked local work,
But I hope I’ve mellowed a bit.

Daf245:

Good luck be interested to know how you get on with it mate, I have a horrible feeling that I am just conditioned to tramping and would find it difficult moving onto day driving. Do love the thought of being at home more though. Hope it works out for you.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Juddian:

Are you still on transporters?

No and i’d never go back, it was making me ill and i hadn’t realised (good pay but it aint a job for old bones), but luckily wifey had, three weeks after she explained what she was seeing i jacked in with no job to go to, ponced around on agency for while then found a nice niche job on tankers, wish i’d made the swap decades previously, irony being from day one when working out pay per hour averages over the months (the only way to compare jobs) i’ve been better off on the tanks than on the cars, sometimes you’re working that bloody hard you lose track of what’s going on, i’d become part of the bloody machine and hadn’t seen it in myself, something i now can see and often warn others here not to fall into the same trap.

Juddian:
No and i’d never go back, it was making me ill and i hadn’t realised (good pay but it aint a job for old bones), but luckily wifey had, three weeks after she explained what she was seeing i jacked in with no job to go to, ponced around on agency for while then found a nice niche job on tankers, wish i’d made the swap decades previously, irony being from day one when working out pay per hour averages over the months (the only way to compare jobs) i’ve been better off on the tanks than on the cars, sometimes you’re working that bloody hard you lose track of what’s going on, i’d become part of the bloody machine and hadn’t seen it in myself, something i now can see and often warn others here not to fall into the same trap.

Never worked on transporters but it does seem pretty ■■■■■■■■ to me, I have worked on tankers and actually enjoyed it, same as bulk tippers, liked that work too, now just on timber and think I have become conditioned as it isnt as enjoyable as tanker work was. Lots of new opportunitys now though to go back. As you state, you didn’t even realise how ill it was making you. I feel I am at that point.

Yorkshire Tramper:
Just curious to see if it is just me or anyone else is the same, when I am tramping I will happily do 12 hrs per day and even consider a reduced every now and again. However when not tramping like this week, I struggle to get through a 9 or 10 hour shift. Just wanting to finish and get home asap.

When I’m doing a night out I want max hours because you can’t do sod all anyway so might as well work them and get paid. Nothing worse than parking up at 5pm with a 7am start time the next morning, especially at this time of year where you slowly get roasted in the cab because of the heat.

Conor:
When I’m doing a night out I want max hours because you can’t do sod all anyway so might as well work them and get paid. Nothing worse than parking up at 5pm with a 7am start time the next morning, especially at this time of year where you slowly get roasted in the cab because of the heat.

That’s my thoughts too, plus service areas now are terrible places, only advantage at the moment to parking up early is to actually get a space.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Daf245:

Good luck be interested to know how you get on with it mate, I have a horrible feeling that I am just conditioned to tramping and would find it difficult moving onto day driving. Do love the thought of being at home more though. Hope it works out for you.

Thank you
Just time I had a life really.
Missed out on to much last 30 plus years
Don’t get me wrong used to love the job.
Ain’t got the fire in me anymore.
Job ain’t worth a ■■■■ now.
Think last nail in coffin was them shutting cafe down at Barton Park, bit off history that place, the women had been there since I 1st parked up, good food.
An a Trampers brain doing local is a complicated bit of kit, we want to get home :laughing: :smiley:

Conor:

Yorkshire Tramper:
Just curious to see if it is just me or anyone else is the same, when I am tramping I will happily do 12 hrs per day and even consider a reduced every now and again. However when not tramping like this week, I struggle to get through a 9 or 10 hour shift. Just wanting to finish and get home asap.

Go to bed then & catch up on your sleep , or just relax , get out & speak to
People , talk to your wife , it’s all much preferable to be chasing round the countryside for 15!hrs , I thought you had a bit more about you Conor than I must grab every hour , but your just as daft as the rest on here

Daf245:
An a Trampers brain doing local is a complicated bit of kit, we want to get home :laughing: :smiley:

Actually you just might have hit the nail on the head with that, all I think of is getting home from Wed onwards. it is quite possible that working local does register in your brain that you will be home tonight!!!

Just because the regulations stipulate 9 or 11 hours daily rest , doesn’t mean you have to by having more , i add on more time and if tired I drive when I’m ready to go but that depends on timed bookings .
The same for daily breaks on a 45 minutes I make it an hour , walk around and get the blood pumping.

Conor:
especially at this time of year where you slowly get roasted in the cab because of the heat.

Engine on…

A/C switched to max recirc.

Fall asleep on bunk like small cuddly lamb in field of wild flowers.

yourhavingalarf:

Conor:
especially at this time of year where you slowly get roasted in the cab because of the heat.

Engine on…

A/C switched to max recirc.

Fall asleep on bunk like small cuddly lamb in field of wild flowers.

Heater on full blast half hour before parking up. When stationary, open windows and you’ll be surprised how cool it really is.
Drive around with air con on all day and even 20deg will seem hot.

Franglais:
Drive around with air con on all day and even 20deg will seem hot.

I can assure…

You that the 35+ degree heat in Spain felt like…35+ degree heat. My A/C failed a couple of times whilst driving in extreme heat and I can honestly say it was possibly the most miserable times I’ve had at the wheel.

I have the greatest respect for drivers who day in day out work in sunny climates with no A/C.

The gaffers never said a word about idling despite most of the fleet running engines for weeks on end.

The other benefit of running A/C all night is the complete lack of mozzies.