Train/Ferry Hours

If you’re driving on a train/ferry on a HGV truck does the duration of the journey count towards driving time or other work? What about waiting at the bay to come on board or the gates to open and also leaving going through customs showing ID?

Braveheart2009:
If you’re driving on a train/ferry on a HGV truck does the duration of the journey count towards driving time or other work? What about waiting at the bay to come on board or the gates to open and also leaving going through customs showing ID?

Break, break, other work.

A.

If you’re shunting along in a queue to show your passport it’ll likely show as driving depending on the type of tacho you’re using. Time on quay or boat can be break or daily rest provided you’ve a bunk.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Braveheart2009:

Search for “ferry mode break” on here and all will “hopefully” become clear!!![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

Braveheart2009:

Search for “ferry mode break” on here and all will “hopefully” become clear!!![emoji6]

ferry mode and break???Ferry mode not change nothing.

Ferry mode not always relevant. Waiting on dock- break (or POA if that floats your boat [emoji12]) Time on ferry - break, going through customs - other work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andrejs:

Big Truck:

Braveheart2009:

What you on about lad!!!

Only used for daily rest break and it must be a break of 12hrs including an interuption of a maximum of 1hr for movements on /off and transit to a parking area .
Only one such ferry break can be used in a 24hr period .
A bunk or couchette must be available during the crossing.

Big Truck:

Andrejs:

Big Truck:

Braveheart2009:

What you on about lad!!!

when we use ferry mode in taco that nothing change.We need same break.ferry mode not stop driving time or working time.Plus when we in Dover or train that drivers can t make movement in own daily rest.

grumpyken52:
Only used for daily rest break and it must be a break of 12hrs including an interuption of a maximum of 1hr for movements on /off and transit to a parking area .
Only one such ferry break can be used in a 24hr period .
A bunk or couchette must be available during the crossing.

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

“Journeys involving ferry or train transport
Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest requirements are more flexible.
A regular daily rest period, that is one of 11 hours duration or 12 hours if split, may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off again at the end of the crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be at least 11 hours or 12 hours if split”

If you`re referring to interrupting a daily rest period, then 2 interruptions are allowed, totaling a max of one hour. It can be an 11hr rest or a split (9+3) break.

Andrejs:

Big Truck:

Andrejs:

Big Truck:

Braveheart2009:

What you on about lad!!!

when we use ferry mode in taco that nothing change.We need same break.ferry mode not stop driving time or working time.Plus when we in Dover or train that drivers can t make movement in own daily rest.

On Dover boat and train crossing there is no bunk available so you’re correct they can’t be used as interrupted daily rest movements.
The time on ferry or train is a break though so long as you register it on the tacho.
Shunting along in a queue will show as duty or driving.

Andrejs:

Big Truck:

Andrejs:

Big Truck:

Braveheart2009:

What you on about lad!!!

Of course it changes!!!
You can’t take a reduced rest if using ferry mode on crossing (must be min 11hr plus shunting time added)
Using ferry mode means you can count the crossing as part of your daily rest etc!!!

Sometimes I use it on Scots/NI boats if going to be out of spread coming off boat to meet a local driver to deliver load but most times would be within spread Inc boat journey.
(Yes I know P&O don’t have bunks but I refuse to believe VOSA would take in to court ref “no access to bunk” and discriminate between P&O and Stena boats which do have “access” to bunks!!![emoji41])

[/quote]
[/quote]
On Dover boat and train crossing there is no bunk available so you’re correct they can’t be used as interrupted daily rest movements.
The time on ferry or train is a break though so long as you register it on the tacho.
Shunting along in a queue will show as duty or driving.

[/quote]

Have done a Ferry break on Calais Dover on several occasions especially when it goes ■■■■ up with delays at the port was stopped in Holyhead the day after doing one such movement DVSA had no problem at all with it