Ferries

I was under the impression that you can legally take a rest break on a ferry. The Ferry company says not! I had a real battle with them cos i’m sure i’m right

I was going to link you to the driver hours thing on VOSA but its no longer there.

I didn’t think you could though. I’m probably wrong but seem to remember thinking it was a stupid rule if you are on there for enough time.

im pretty sure you can as you can interupt it for up to an hour either side (i think) to allow you to move on and off the ferry. as long as you have access to a couchette or cabin during the crossing.

i may be wrong though so we will have to wait for tachograph or coffeeholic or geebee.

A regular daily rest period (of at least 11 hours) may be interrupted no more than
twice by other activities of not more than 1 hour’s duration in total, provided that
the driver is accompanying a vehicle that is travelling by ferry or train and
provided that the driver has access to a bunk or couchette.

copied from this post by tachograph

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27257

which was taken from here

dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … sgoods.pdf

its an hour in total for the move not an hour either side

hi took this from gv262 it may help

Ferry/train daily rest A regular daily rest period (of at least 11 hours) may be interrupted no more than
Twice by other activities of not more than 1 hour’s duration in total, provided that
The driver is accompanying a vehicle that is travelling by ferry or train and
Provided that the driver has access to a bunk or couchette.

It all turned a bit ugly when i said i was going to get some duty frees, they said i couldn’t :smiling_imp:

what ferry were you on? not the torpoint ferry or something like that was it?

MR VAIN:
It all turned a bit ugly when i said i was going to get some duty frees, they said i couldn’t :smiling_imp:

i didn’t think they did duty free’s on the Woolwich ferry :confused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

shuttlespanker:

MR VAIN:

i didn’t think they did duty free’s on the Woolwich ferry :confused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

exactly what i was going to put!!! :laughing: :laughing:

like gibsla said as long as you have access to a bunk or couchette you can have a rest on a boat, and you are allowed to embark and disembark and move up to 59 minutes, but only 29 either side i think

tachotutorial.com/Drivers_Hours.asp

MR VAIN:

Why would you be unable to buy duty free stuff■■? You are on the ferry regardless of tacho mode.

Im just guessing but were you sleeping in the truck? (Not having a go cos ive done it)…
They don’t like it when you suddenly appear from nowhere and try and get topside :laughing:

Mr Vain did you get your pasport stamped on the southbound trip■■? :laughing:

euromat:
like gibsla said as long as you have access to a bunk or couchette you can have a rest on a boat, and you are allowed to embark and disembark and move up to 59 minutes, but only 29 either side i think

No time limit to the length of each movement. The two movements together must total no more than 1 hour so you could do 5 minutes one side and 55 minutes the other for example.

Well i had a real hell up with the ferry company on the phone, i tell ya, i told them straight, next time i’ll pay £2.90 and go thru the tunnel! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

SORRY GUYS, I WROTE THAT ON THE FERRY, IT MADE ME CHUCKLE.

The captain said “Thank God were home we have drunk the barrel dry”

MR VAIN:
Well i had a real hell up with the ferry company on the phone, i tell ya, i told them straight, next time i’ll pay £2.90 and go thru the tunnel! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: rob, rob, rob that was coming a mile off. :laughing:

jessicas dad:

MR VAIN:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: rob, rob, rob that was coming a mile off. :laughing:

Yes Dad, but it made me chuckle.

little enis:
The captain said “Thank God were home we have drunk the barrel dry”

Did Andy Williams sing that ?

MR Vain , where you on the Reedham Ferry after taking the trailer back to Suffolk on Saturday ?