Ferry mode. use of and guidance

I have just been informed that i am using ferry mode wrongly ie when i travel on a ferry or train i select break and ferry mode then to denote i am travelling on either of during my working day.I am told that is an illegal operation of ferry mode.It can only be used to signify a split DRP whilst travelling on a ferry/train. Allso how does one record ferry mode,ie sequence of operation when boarding ferry/train and dissembarking and parking for balance of DRP.Can anyone quote the legal take on the question and or VOSA guide please ?

What I do: On rest at port, drive onto ferry/train, set tacho to rest & ferry/train mode, drive off ferry/train & if I then have to make up daily rest complete break in rest mode. I also do a print out writing down start of break, movement times on & off ferry/train & time rest period is completed. I don’t know if this is the text book procedure but in all the countries the I’ve been controlled in it has never been an issue.
Hope this has been helpful. :grimacing: :grimacing:

To be pedantic, we do not have Ferry Mode, you are simply resting on the dock /ferry or ferry / dock, so you use bed. The ferry symbol is to show that you are moving onto a ferry and off again to complete your maximum 2 movements and 11 hours rest.

If you are going to take a ferry, don’t try and plan a 15 hour day as you will be stuck on the linkspan.

Generally 12 hours is more than enough to give you time for boarding or disembarking.

I place it on boat mode when I am on board the ship if waiting to go on then place it on rest and if more break required after the crossing then onto rest again. When I asked a VOA officer about it he said to place it on ferry mode only when on the ferry as things could change i.e. you might not get on the ferry and then you will have used the wrong setting. As an instance last night 6 drivers did not get on to the Hook to Killingholme ferry and as this crossing gives at least a 9 hour break 3 of them couldn’t get the Harwich as they were at 14 hours in their spread and so had to take a normal break.

Just covered this on CPC,

Rock up to the terminal on say 12 hours, get parked up to wait for boat.

Boat comes, after 2 hours of rest.

Your queue gets signalled on, so you put the ferry thing on.

Get parked up on the boat, tacho back to rest.

6 hour crossing.

back to the truck, about to move, put it back to ferry mode.

Clear customs, park up again for remaining 2 hours of rest.

The total movement period can’t be more than 1 hour.

Probably better off asking on the euro forum?

Thats about it, all i can add is that you book off when you get in the lane,go on break, book off country etc, then as said put ferry mode on just before you move onto the boat as this shows why you have moved, return the mode to break when parked on ferry then back to ferry mode when you move again unless you have had all your rest off. remember to book on country where you have arrived…

Thanks everyone that posted on my enquiry,you all been very helpful on the matter :smiley:

lankyphil:

6 hour crossing.

Clear customs, park up again for remaining 2 hours of rest.

I count an hour short of 11 hours rest?

milodon:

lankyphil:

6 hour crossing.

Clear customs, park up again for remaining 3 hours of rest.

I count an hour short of 11 hours rest?

FTFY :slight_smile:

That’d be becuase I’m a lorry driver, not a maths teacher :slight_smile:

Nicely covered topic guys - we’ve tried various methods over the last few years with this, and always thrown up infringements afterwards during card analysis. Our CPC firm couldn’t work out where we were going wrong either.

The description detailed here looks spot on - I have a driver doing it as per this posting for the Liverpool - Dublin crossing as we speak, so will report back if he returns fault-free!