TOM TOM 6200 Pro

Seeing as how we have a TomTom/SatNav thread, can I ask if anyone has had problems recently with TomTom satellite/GPS?

The last 2 weeks have been a nightmare with my Trucker 6000, dropping satellites, taking 30 minutes to regain em. having to resort to, gulp, Google Maps for nav.
But today, no problems. In fact, faster and better than ever.

Anyone else had problems?

steviespain:
Seeing as how we have a TomTom/SatNav thread, can I ask if anyone has had problems recently with TomTom satellite/GPS?

The last 2 weeks have been a nightmare with my Trucker 6000, dropping satellites, taking 30 minutes to regain em. having to resort to, gulp, Google Maps for nav.

Not noticed any problems with mine…

Captain_Amateur:

steviespain:

Not noticed any problems with mine…

Mine has a few times that I have noticed but it always regains signal quickly so hadn’t thought anything of it

steviespain:

Do you always use the same vehicle?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

No, different every day. Sat nav worked fantastically well 2 days ago, now back to arching for satellites. Google maps is my friend today.
Seems like general consensus is that mine is on its way out.
Thanks all.

Depends where you are mounting it, and some windscreens actually can block gps signal

I have Volvo FH4 with mine mounted on the flat part of dash so well inside the cab and have had no problems

On the original, it will sometimes suggest routes that aren’t suitable since they dont know what the road actually looks like. The sizes you input only really apply to roads where theres a height or width restriction.

Steve - sounds like its packing up. Might want to try a factory reset then reload all the data in on the offchance (backup to computer first). But does sound like its GPS is on the way out.

steviespain:
No, different every day. Sat nav worked fantastically well 2 days ago, now back to arching for satellites. Google maps is my friend today.
Thanks all.

When I was on Brits a lot of us had problems with GPS.
The tracker and communication unit they used placed under the dash, was interfering with the signal, it only worked if you placed it in certain parts of the cab in a certain position.
Point I’m trying to make is move it around and see what happens before you buy a new sat nav, as it could be some kind of interference from another piece of kit.

robroy:

steviespain:
Thanks all.

When I was on Brits a lot of us had problems with GPS.
The tracker and communication unit they used placed under the dash, was interfering with the signal, it only worked if you placed it in certain parts of the cab in a certain position.
Point I’m trying to make is move it around and see what happens before you buy a new sat nav.

+1 on this

steviespain:
Thanks all.

Pound to a pinch of snuff then it’s RF interference from something in some of the cabs. Most likely suspect being a tracker of some sort which uses cellular radio (i.e. mobile phone system) to continually send information back to base. If it’s a Daf LF or MAN (other makes are probably similar, but I’ve no direct experience) if you pop off the fusebox cover on the passenger side of the dash, you’ll likely find that whoever installed said tracker had a load of spare cabling, which he tidily coiled up and slipped into a space next to the fusebox. This results in RF “noise” being induced in the vehicle wiring, which is then re-radiated through the wiring around the whole cab. It’s probably not enough to completely block the GPS signal, but it can and will corrupt the almanac information that is continuously downloaded by the GPS chip in your satnav. It is this almanac information that allows the satnav to get a position fix within a minute or two of being switched on (or within seconds of losing the plot when e.g. going through a tunnel). If it’s corrupted, your satnav will need about 15 minutes of uninterrupted signal reception - ideally while stationary - to download a whole fresh almanac. It will then work OK until the next glitch or temporary interruption.

TomTom refer to this information as QuickGPSfix, and you can download a fresh almanac by connecting your satnav to a PC using the MyDrive Connect software. But this is a faff while on the road (and will maybe only give you a fully working satnav for a short time anyway…)

If you find yourself driving an affected vehicle, it may well be enough to simply relocate the aforementioned loop of spare cable (or pull the fuse that provides power to the tracker/comms equipment that’s causing the problem - although your employer will certainly frown on this approach…).

I seriously doubt it’s an issue with your TomTom’s GPS receiver - they either work or they don’t. You can confirm this next time there’s a problem by parking up and taking the TomTom outside the vehicle. Pound to a pinch it will start working normally within a few minutes.

Capt Am: rgr that, thanks.
KC, thanks.
RIPPER: Yep, tried it in all sorts of diff positions, on the dash in front of the instruments, flat on the dash top, on the middle seat. Nada.
trev: Yep, done the factory reset, it’s like second nature to me now :smiley:. Nada. Got nothing to back up either, only using 400Mb of memory. Purely used as a satnav.
Rob: Ok, first mention of interference. AFAIK there have been no aftermarket trackers fitted recently, AFAIK. I’ll check on Tues when I go in again. Yep, moved it around mucho during the day. Nada. I haven’t actually got out of the van and tried it, so I will, on Tuesday.
which ties in with Roymondos post (Thanks for taking the time, mate. I appreciate it.) RF interference.

The problems started when I left the windscreen mounting arm in the van overnight, gone next day, of course :unamused: And so I started using the unit just sitting on the dash. Did not work again after that until I used an older van.

I was wondering whether this mount was acting as a kind of aerial, antenna? And somehow boosting the signal?
amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Click-M … reen+mount

I spent a week driving the new trucks…sorry…vans :smiley: and the satnav ■■■■■■ up every day. Unusable.
I spent one day in one of the older vans and the satnav worked absolutely perfectly. In fact, better than ever.
Mebbe they’ve done a retrofit of some tracking stuff. Although I know for a fact that they track us by following our Hand Held Terminals and don’t really need an extra tracker. Ima ask my friendly lady on the management side about trackers and what and when.

Great input, troops. Thank you very much.

oh…err…p.s. On the bus on the way home I read these posts and, as a result, i fired up the unit. Sat outside Wembley Stadium for a while, moved along the road, no problems at all tracking. Hmm, my head hurts.

steviespain:
Capt Am: rgr that, thanks.
KC, thanks.
RIPPER: Yep, tried it in all sorts of diff positions, on the dash in front of the instruments, flat on the dash top, on the middle seat. Nada.
trev: Yep, done the factory reset, it’s like second nature to me now :smiley:. Nada. Got nothing to back up either, only using 400Mb of memory. Purely used as a satnav.
Rob: Ok, first mention of interference. AFAIK there have been no aftermarket trackers fitted recently, AFAIK. I’ll check on Tues when I go in again. Yep, moved it around mucho during the day. Nada. I haven’t actually got out of the van and tried it, so I will, on Tuesday.
which ties in with Roymondos post (Thanks for taking the time, mate. I appreciate it.) RF interference.

The problems started when I left the windscreen mounting arm in the van overnight, gone next day, of course :unamused: And so I started using the unit just sitting on the dash. Did not work again after that until I used an older van.

I was wondering whether this mount was acting as a kind of aerial, antenna? And somehow boosting the signal?
amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Click-M … reen+mount

I spent a week driving the new trucks…sorry…vans :smiley: and the satnav [zb] up every day. Unusable.
I spent one day in one of the older vans and the satnav worked absolutely perfectly. In fact, better than ever.
Mebbe they’ve done a retrofit of some tracking stuff. Although I know for a fact that they track us by following our Hand Held Terminals and don’t really need an extra tracker. Ima ask my friendly lady on the management side about trackers and what and when.

Great input, troops. Thank you very much.

oh…err…p.s. On the bus on the way home I read these posts and, as a result, i fired up the unit. Sat outside Wembley Stadium for a while, moved along the road, no problems at all tracking. Hmm, my head hurts.

Do the vans have a heated “quickclear” windscreen■■?

Why, yes, yes they do.
And I will turn it off on Tuesday :smiley:

TBH, it’s not something I use on a day to day basis. Only noticed it today, in fact.

But it’s a start :slight_smile: Thanks.

steviespain:
Why, yes, yes they do.
And I will turn it off on Tuesday :smiley:

TBH, it’s not something I use on a day to day basis. Only noticed it today, in fact.

But it’s a start :slight_smile: Thanks.

Doesn’t matter if it’s on or off, it will affect the gps signal unfortunately, it’s the thin metal elements that are within the windscreen

Ahh, right. So this makes me think that the windscreen mount was, indeed, acting as a booster. Possibly, not sure. Got one on order, will check on Tuesday.

Kynzson, so sorry for the hijack of your thread, mate. You got the answers you needed though? Thanks.

The thin elements embedded in a heated windscreen act as a Faraday Cage and effectively block the GPS signal. An external re-radiating GPS antenna should provide a good workaround. Got one here if you’d like to borrow it for a while?

Alternatively, have a good close look at the screen. Some of them have clear areas devoid of heating elements specifically intended to alleviate such issues. Just mount your unit in that part of the screen

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Roymondo, got a replacement arriving tomorrow. But thank you for the kind offer.
Like you said earlier if GPS either works, or it doesn’t, I’ll find out on Tues if the signal is being disrupted by some new gear they may have fitted. Not heard anything about it so far though…

Plan B is to go with Truck Co-Pilot and a 8 or 10 inch tablet. I’m guessing I’ll have to tether that to me phone so mebbe a new data plan is needed too. Dammit, never ending crap to deal with.

Sadly I doubt the new windscreen mount will fix your problem, TBH (unless it manages by luck to position the unit in a GPS “sweet spot”). TTBOMK no TomTom mounts have ever provided any signal boost. The only one I know of that did anything other than a power connection was the one that came with some of the “Rider” motorcycle units - it had a built-in audio amplifier and speaker allowing voice instructions when used in a car.

Best of luck with it all anyway - just drop me a PM if you change your mind and want to try an external antenna.

Ta Roymondo, will do.
How does that external antenna work? Where would it connect to?

It’s a re-radiating job. It consists of an external magnetic mount antenna pod (which you pop onto the roof) and a widget that plugs into the ■■■ lighter socket into which the cable from the antenna is plugged. The widget has another cable which has a re-radiating antenna on the end of it which you locate inside the vehicle (or building etc) where you want to use your GPS device. The TomTom simply “sees” the re-radiated signal as an ordinary GPS signal. This works perfectly when the regular GPS signal is totally blocked (e.g. inside a building) but is less effective when the original signal is still present but somewhat garbled. It’s been a good few years since any consumer grade TomTom unit had an external GPS connector (e.g. my old 7000 Truck).